Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers guys!

A diorama with a dirty white van would be wrong... :D

Ahem, in the mean time...
    Suitable appalling colour, no? :D In real life the tint is slightly more green, but not much. I think this is a good base for some drybrushing and inking.

And i also did a dipping test on the canopy of the turret, which I'm not going to use. At first I thought the effect was quite good, but up close you can see these little imperfections everywhere.
    I'm unsure about the exact cause, it could be some bit of dust that got on during drying, even though i covered it up with a glass.
    Or it could be the mix. I mixed some Tamiya clear into Johnson's Klear and dipped it in a small clean metal cup. Maybe the mix curdled ever so slightly or the Tamiya clear simply doesn't mix that well. My gut feeling might be to add a tiny bit of dishwashing detergent to try and break the surface tension of the two fluids. I'd like to hear any other suggestions or tips...

IMG_4358.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Perhaps it just flew through a load of flies and they went squish on the windscreen?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    ^ or one big ass bug!.

Can you take it aprat so you can paint the inside. becasue it looks like it could be bitch if you can't.
    lol, maybe I should stick a big, fat Tyranid on there! ^^
    But yeah, the canopy still comes off, I just stuck it on with some masking tape.
    I think the cause is probably the Tamiya paint as I've heard they don't mix well with water... I'll have to make another brew with Klear and just GW ink.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, that third image rocks. It looks like you actually gave a tiny camera to a tiny person and had them go inside and snap a photo. :)
    Who says I didn't? It's good to have minions. :D
    Yes, it's good to have minions. :devil:
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    With Meph's very kind permission(and for your enjoyment if you like WH), here is an Arvus Lighter i have just recently scratchbuilt.
    It's 40cm long by about 45cm wide, and fully lit to include headlamps in the wings, seven downlights in the troop bay and a lit up dashboard for the pilot(I invented the dash as the original doesn't seem to have one, lol), full strobing anti collision lights(Red top and bottom, and white on the rear), red/green on the wings pointing forward, plus separately lit engines. Below are some images and a video. And the entire WIP gallery is here.
    I don't want to jack Meph's thread, so if anyone wants to comment, feel free to PM me.

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUb8CuseVEc
    That looks totally weird next to larger and realistic proportioned minis, but what the hell, it's awesome. Meph, I demand you build bigger stuff now! BIGGER I SAY!!! BIGGER!!
    Armondikov wrote: »
    That looks totally weird next to larger and realistic proportioned minis, but what the hell, it's awesome.

Thanks. When you are used to seeing the suited up space marines, normally proportioned people can look... abnormal...
    But i think it adds an air of realism to the images having real looking people there.
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Meph, I demand you build bigger stuff now! BIGGER I SAY!!! BIGGER!!

Yeah. Bigger!
    Bigger huh... well, I still have an unassembled superheavy tank lying around for when I find the time... I'm gonna make it a Space Marine Fallblade. ^^

Awesome stuff bar! That interior lighting looks absolutely ace!
    Anywhooo, cockpit almost done! :D

Just some quick drybrushing and some very quick detaling. Since almost nothing will be visible in that cockpit I didn't want to spend too much time fiddling with details.

After that I sealed both the pilot and cockpit using a spray can of GW satin varnish. And then I made was with black oil paint and turpentine. I just madly applied it over the lot of it and as you can see the oil paint neatly sucks itself into every bit of texture it can find without tinting the underlying colours too much. I took some before and right-after pics to show what it does. I'll let that dry out for now and see if it needs any correcting after but it looks like it's not going to need much.

IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4404.JPG
    The cockpit and pilot are both looking sweet. Awesome paint work, as usual. :)
    Great work with the paintjob.
    It's looking amazing.
    That is some impreive work there mate!
    Niiiice. That is all.
    Cheers guys! :D At this moment the canopy has been glued on, now I have to tape it up better than a mummy before I flue the assembly to the hull. I wouldn't want to accidentally pop out the canopy while cockpit has already been glued to the hull... brrrr...
    Voila, cockpit sealed, taped up and seams closed with masking fluid. Fingers crossed, because that's not coming off until it's done...

And I also applied a first of many layers of weathering powders on and around the tracks. It's not bad but it needs a lot refining. Even though it was a mix of 5 different colours (some more than others), it came out predominantly reddish like clay. I feel I need some lighter, more sandy tones to contrast better with the red of the hull I feel.
    What do you guys think?

Arch, and I keep overlooking those bullet impacts each and every time, like I'm selectively blind to them... :S

IMG_4413.JPG
    How are you making the bullet impacts; plain old knife carving, stamping with something, actually shooting it?
    I think he's actually shooting at it with a tiny gun. ;)

Awesome wok on that paint job, Meph. That's looking great. It always amazes me how realistic you get with the "used" look on your models. I too enjoy those bullet impacts, however you do them.
    It always amazes me how realistic you get with the "used" look on your models.

I know, right? Those tracks are totally real rust and NOT paint, he's got to be cheating!
    Well, actually I make one of my tiny minions wear a tiny spiked helmet and order him to run head-first into the model until I'm satisfied. :D
    Actually, I've used a dremel to make an indentation, not a hole all the way through. Then I even it up again with green stuff, and when that's set for about 15-20 minutes I push the back end of a relatively wide brush in it and then I use the back end of a modeling knife to put some sharper cuts in there.

Hehehe, the tracks, those track are not done yet, by a long shot. ;) They need a few more layers with weathering powders to enhance the effect. This layer is not fixed yet either, any touchy-feely and it falls right off, I have to handle it with care at this stage. And then some graphite rubbing to bring the edges back out with a nice sheen.

On another note, some over at another forum asked me what brands of oil paint I use so I though I'd share it here as well.
    I just bought the colours I needed off of Ebay from random webshops. My experience with oil paints is that most of them are quite to very good. A general rule of thumb to buy them would be is to buy a true arts brand or high quality modeling. It doesn't hurt to go for the medium-high priced stuff as it's not that expensive anyhow and it will last forever. And you want a paint that has a decent medium and high quality pigment, quality does show. mine cost somewhere between 3 - 6€ a piece.
    In general, oil paints are just basically an oil based medium and pigment so there's not much that can go wrong with them. Also handy to know is that the colours names are universal as the paint has been around since hundreds and hundreds of years. The oil paint Burnt Umber for example was first used in 1650...

-Top one is from Bob Ross, the afro'd painting pixie. Actually this black is one of the easiest to thin oil paints I've had so far. Dissolves very smoothly with turpentine.
    -Middle one is from a 'true' artsy brand. The colour shade is universal, Burnt Umber, absolutely perfect for grease stains and for rust when mixed with weathering powder.
    -The bottom one is from MIG and is 'Shadow Brown', I used that over the whole of my vehicles for shading. Made a wash with it and brushed over the whole lot except the silver metallic detailing.
    -The lighter is fine produce bought from a nocturnal Pakistani entrepreneur.

IMG_4414.JPG
    Meph wrote: »
    -The lighter is fine produce bought from a nocturnal Pakistani entrepreneur.

AKA, the corner Mini Mart, right? ;)
    Yup :D But he disappoints me every time... I haven't heard him say 'Thank you, come again' yet... :(
    ^ LOL

Great job with the painting Mate.
    Your making me want to take it up again, but my skills are no where near this level on painting.
    Ah, don't sell yourself short, all it takes is some patience. And as a fellow polygon and vertex hypnotizer, I know you've got that in spades. ;)
    And also, tadaaa!

Huah!

IMG_4427.JPG
    Ooh, you've started painting the big one. Excellent. :D
    Ow yes, I'm getting quite eager for this one. ^^
    As for paint pattern, I'm thinking, a blood drop shaped black anti-glare marking around the cockpit. Black tail rudders a la Jolly Rogers. But I feel it needs something else.. How about some WW2 style recognition bands on the wings? But black, and maybe just two, to show the unit number a bit like the X-Wings in SW, Red Two. ^^

Whaddayathink?
    That sounds great. Will you be using salt for the bands?
    Sounds like a cool plan. :)
    Hmmm salt on the bands. Actually a good idea... I think I'll do that.
    But in the mean time. Here she is with some light shading and highlighting and shading done, plus a heavily thinned dark red wash. She's ready for drybrushing, she is. :D

Oh, and as for WW2 style 'logo'... Those two large side plates just behind the canards will be filled with large full colour decals which I'm going to make and print. I'm just not sure what to put there yet. Any ideas are always welcome, as well as interesting artwork that might inspire me.

IMG_4456.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG