Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSunshine Icarus 2 Redux

scott2753scott27536 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2011 in Work in Progress #1
It's been a long time since I have posted here. Well about a year ago I started modeling the Icarus 2 from the movie Sunshine (2007) but ran into difficulties during the modeling process and decided to shelve the project for the time being. About two weeks ago I was on vacation and decided to look at taking up modeling on the ship again, with all the new tricks and techniques I have learned in the year since I shelved the project....

I took one look at my old mesh and scrapped it entirely! This is a completely new build, with an emphasis on realism and accuracy and DETAIL!

I'm still trying to get the lighting down, which is difficult as this ship was portrayed in deep shadow behind the shield, yet still 'viewable'.

I hope you guys like it!
91603.jpg
91604.jpg
91605.jpg
91606.jpg
Post edited by scott2753 on
Tagged:

• mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Typed it else where and I will type it here.
    Beautiful work!
  • scott2753scott27536 Posts: 0Member
    mikala wrote: »
    Typed it else where and I will type it here.
    Beautiful work!

Thank you very much! ;)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    This is looking great sir! loving the details!

oh and, St. Pete! How ya doin! :)
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work!
    This is looking great sir! loving the details!

oh and, St. Pete! How ya doin! :)

Thank you! Oh cool Tampa! That's where I grew up, part of the time anyway between traveling. We lived on Davis Islands :)
    nyrath wrote: »
    Outstanding work!

Thank you!
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Gorgeous model this, and backatcha :D Now I am curious how close you can get to the details on this? :)
    tobian wrote: »
    Gorgeous model this, and backatcha :D Now I am curious how close you can get to the details on this? :)

Thank you Tobian. Well I am striving for details to where we should be able to take paint samples lol! Yikes!
    Still tweaking the lighting on the Icarus. Trying for a good blend of dark/light. I also changed the color on a few of the lights, as well as the lens color (using 'physical' light fixtures for realistic shadows) and lens effects... the reason... no two lights, even from the same manufacturer are ever exactly the same. Minor impurities in the gases or filaments cause slightly different hues and brightness levels. Another try at getting realistic I guess lol.

This weekend I will be modeling the large main shield, which of course has a massive amount of light coming from the structure, this of course will lend shadows/color/light to this part of the ship depicted here. Once that is done I will have to come back to the lighting on this section to adjust for an overall effect.
    91617.jpg
    Looks good, better than before, you have more silky dark black. Don't be afraid of having black, it's just that kind of lighting and ship :D
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    It and Valley Forge in the background would look nice...similar.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Sun of a gun! That almost looks real:thumb: I like the lighting quite a lot too.
    tobian wrote: »
    Looks good, better than before, you have more silky dark black. Don't be afraid of having black, it's just that kind of lighting and ship :D

Thank you Tobian - this will be detailed enough to get REAL close ;)
    publiusr wrote: »
    It and Valley Forge in the background would look nice...similar.

Thank you - the Valley Forge was one of my favorite ships growing up, one of these days I would love to model her...
    cavebear wrote: »
    Sun of a gun! That almost looks real:thumb: I like the lighting quite a lot too.

Thank you!
    I've been busy modeling the main shield - it's been a bear getting all the angles just so on the main shield cabling and struts... even had to break out the calculator this time lol.
    91683.jpg91684.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I've been following this on Deviantart...excellent work! :thumb: The level of detail is amazing here.
    The scales on this thing are HUGE! I do wonder how the 'human' bits look in comparison to the shield, as the girder scales are 10X. Beautifully done though!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That movie sucks. I turned it off after a while of watching it. However, the ship is really cool. Great work on the model, it looks fantastic. :thumb:
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    ^ WHAT?! That movie was awesome! It's one of my favorites!! The soundtrack is badass too.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    didnt like the movie either. i like the ship tou.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    ^ WHAT?! That movie was awesome! It's one of my favorites!! The soundtrack is badass too.

Different strokes for different folks, my friend. :)
  • Ronson2kRonson2k0 Posts: 0Member
    It reminded me a bit of The Abyss (location not withstanding). The payoff at the end was a bit less then what I would have liked but overall it was a rather tragic survival story. The effects and ship construction were great and the sound track worked well to. I would say about 7 out of 10 for me. I believe the movies production model was here for a time prior to being used in the film as it sometimes happens. They will show up for ideas and then all trace of them and model disappears. Several months later that model then shows up on the big screen.

Your Icarus II looks awesome. I think in the movie both are carbon copies of each other.
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Stunning model
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Since Avatar I've developed a preference for "hard-sci" spacecraft designs, and this one is wonderfully depicted here.
  • SKPSKP0 Posts: 0Member
    Never seen the movie but that's a really nice piece of work you have there.