Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    @Freak: Yeah, the CG got put on hold for a bit. I'm just having too much fun being unplugged and analogue from time to time. I spend the whole day at the office behind three 22" screens... :argh:

But I'm sure the 3D bug will bite me again sooner rather than later. I still have a dropship, a satellite, a capital ship, and a fighter-bomber to complete. ^^

*Edit*Oh, and the other modelling projects that are on the table are the large scale Terminator, and two regular marines for an american painter who's doing a joint project over at CMON to get a display case with all pre-heresy Space Marine legions. I'm doing the Raven Guard and the Death Guard for him. :D
    I'm guessing that the build is about 95% complete now. Just some sanding here and there and add some extra detail.
    Things done over the week:
    -Magnetized the wings
    -Some greenstuff gap filling
    -Made the 'shoulders' for the canards to sit on. Looks better than expected.
    -Added a piece to the main wings to give them the same forward sweep as the canards and tail planes. The macro perspective of the photo's does tend to distort this but all three wing surfaces now have a 10A° forward sweep.

At first I thought to close the gap between the wing add-ons and the main wing using greenstuff, but actuallyI I like the look it has now. I figure it will be easier to paint those up as leading edge flaps, with weathering to clearly show that they can move, rather than to use a lot of greenstuff and excessive sanding to perfectly hide the seam. Best to hide in plain sight then I thought. ^^

Any thoughts?

IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4310.JPG
    IMG_4314.JPG
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Can't wait to see this finihsed.
    Me neither. ^^
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'll chime in on that one. I can't wait to see it finished either. :D
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Let's face it, you've built the coolest thing ever.
    Hehe, thanks guys :D

After having some leftover paint after a DIY job, I decided to use the half-liter thinned Levis wall paint as an undercoat. Yup, water-based paint you would normally use to paint your walls with, thinned with water. ^^

It much clearer to see like this which parts need some more attention for green stuff and sanding. Overall I'm pleased with the smoothness. The file lines you see on the back are actually from the sanding, the actual seam has gone. :) It just needs a wee bit more green stuff here and there to make the parts fully flush.
    Also, there's a first time shot of the Dreadnought clamp, and yes, the door has clearance enough. ;)

Whaddayathink?

IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4319.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    Very Cool.

I walked into Games workshop the other day. I can't believe how much these things cost now.
    I saw a Rhino for Aï¿¡25. when I was collecting 17 years ago I got a few for a Aï¿¡5 each. I can't see the reason for such a price increase as it still made of only plastic. Its not inflation that has cause the price to go up so much as I have seen models that cost a Aï¿¡5 17 years ago that are still roughly the same price today.
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Freak wrote: »
    I walked into Games workshop the other day.

It's why I now get things off eBay. Much kinder on the pocket than going into GW.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh clay renders. Nice.
    Indeed, Ebay is a good source for stuff. ^^

DCB: hehehe, exactly what I was thinking when it was dry. It's like... 3D like, in real-life, like.
    'at's massiv man!
    That's looking awesome, Meph. With the first coat on there, it's looking less like an amalgam of kit pieces and custom built pieces and more like a complete model. Great work, dude. :thumb:
    DCB wrote: »
    Oooh clay renders. Nice.

:lol:

It's come out really nice with base coat, like you've just assembled an actual plastic kit!
    Thanks for the kind words guys, it helps me keep my tempo up, even though glaciers move faster... ;)

I realized that I'll need to paint the cockpit first, colour the canopy, glue it on, and then mask it up so the canopy can withstand the staggering amount of paints and washes that thing is going to receive...

For cockpit, I was thinking about something like this. :D

su27-fcp-large-660x439.jpg
    Mig23Cockpit.jpg
    Well, good luck scaling that down to 28 mm.
    I think you better get that from a fighter kit. though the scale might be out.
    Ah, nonono, I'm not going to remodel the cockpit. The one that it has now is quite satisfactory in detailing. I mean I'm going to paint it in that nauseating turquoise. :D
    In that case don't you dare.
    I believe this may be what you want - http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=35550

Are you planning on labelling all your dials and gauges in Cyrillic?
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Turning out very nice Meph ! .... Looks like a FW release ....

Great job so far mate ! :thumb: ...

Jas
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Beyond brilliant work here! Nice job Meph.
    Cheers guys! I'm glad you're liking it. :D

@Armondikov: You're right, I don't. ^^ And the cockpit interior will be barely visible with the pilot in place in any case.

@DCB: Cheers mate! But that colour does seem to be a little bit more sky grey than the zinc turquoise, no?

Yesterday's work. I'm quite chuffed I managed to paint the pilot in one afternoon. It's been a while since I painted just one infantry mini at a time:D

Whaddayathaink?

IMG_4337.JPG
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Meph wrote: »
    Whaddayathaink?

I think he looks proper dodgy outside the cockpit context...

Nice job tho
    lol, true that... :D

For the cockpit, I wanted to incorporate some black around the canopy, like the anti-glare section most military planes have. But then I thought of to apply a larger scheme to the craft. It will be mostly red of course, but maybe some black section like these would look nice. including a 40k'ified version of the tail art. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=8613&d=1317570186
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8614&d=1317570265

And since I'm waiting for an order of painting materials to arrive by post, I though it was about time to push the Land Raider further to completion. I did the lenzes of the lamps, sensors and Tech Marine's eyes. And I did some work on the large engine grills. All that's left now is some odd and ends like the impact marks, engine detailing etc.

IMG_4350.JPG
    Yeah, he looks cool inside the cockpit but, outside, he just looks sad. (he looks like a mechanized hobo :lol:) Awesome paint jobs on the pilot and on the Land Raider. I always love it when you get to the painting phase on these models because you do such a fanstastic job. :D
    killakanz wrote: »
    I think he looks proper dodgy outside the cockpit context...

Totally not cool. But I agree on the paint job. Exemplary as we've come to expect from your abilities!
    Meph wrote: »
    But that colour does seem to be a little bit more sky grey than the zinc turquoise, no?
    I'm not sure what the official Russian colour is, but that's often quoted as the nearest Western equivalent in modelling circles. Apparently Space Wolves Grey with a dash of blue (to taste) is a good approximation.

As to the colour difference compared to the pics, I'm sure you're familiar with the various joys of photographic colour reproduction and accuracy. Not to mention that carefully defined colour regulations rarely survive contact with an active service unit. You tend to use whatever you can get your hands on to do patch jobs and the like, especially in a place like Russia where the supply chain for such things is no doubt not quite up to the level of say the USAF.
    Cheers fella's! I'll continue to strive to meet your expectations. ^^

As for the turqoise paint, what I've read about it spreads the origin of it to both the psychology of relaxing green, and just the 'natural' colouring of a zinc-laced paint that was meant to protect the metal from corrosion. Supposedly, both Soviet and Western airplanes had these colours throughout most of the cold war but in the early eighties, the US discovered that that zinc paint actually creates a very fine cancer-inducing dust as it ages so they promptly removed it from all allied craft. The Russians caught on to that quite a few years later.
    So I thought it would be appropriate for the Space Marines. They don't have much use for relaxation but I'm sure they don't mind a little cancer if it keeps their wargear rust-free. :D

In any case, I'll experiment with alchemically mixing and brewing some colours before the inquisition catches on.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Incredible work. I am very impressed.
    Very cool Stuff.
    The pilot look wrong out side the cockpit. just don't leave him outside a school!