Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG on Blu-Ray...coming soon

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussion #1
Amazingly I don't see a thread here already about this subject. According to TrekCore, TNG is going through the HD remastering process now with 4 episodes set to be release a 'sampler blu-ray' to fans sometime this year. As many people have thought this involves going back to the original film and redoing many effects since TNG was edited on video.

See more here:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/
Post edited by japetus on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    I can't wait to see the sampler release... LeVar Burton's tweet makes me even more impatient, haha.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Ha. Just read this news today after I came across the slashdot article:
    http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/11/09/11/0138226/HD-Transfer-of-emStar-Trek-TNGem-To-Arrive-This-Year?utm_source=feedburnerGoogle+Feedfetcher&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Came in here to see if there was a thread already or if I needed to start one. :)

This sounds very promising. I have to say, I am surprised. I can't begin to imagine how expensive it will be to rescan every episode and redo all the effects. I just hope they pick a good company to do it.

I wonder how long it will be until Tobias can tell us that this was the other project he's worked so hard on building his Galaxy-class model for. :cool: ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Comco wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be until Tobias can tell us that this was the other project he's worked so hard on building his Galaxy-class model for. :cool: ;)

I had the same thought. ;)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This is fantastic news. I can hardly wait to see what it will look like when the sampler gets released.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Just saw this today...

http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Generation-Einblick-n%C3%A4chste/dp/B005OUKLG4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317138219&sr=8-7

IA’m guessing this is not the final cover (the registry is flipped), but itA’s due to come out in december, so thatA’s not far away.
    Wow. Quicker than I thought! Might poke a hole in my theory...Although they could have been working on the VFX for these episodes months before they got a hold of your model with proxy low-detail stand ins I guess. ;) :D
    Just saw this today...

http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Generation-Einblick-n%C3%A4chste/dp/B005OUKLG4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317138219&sr=8-7

IA’m guessing this is not the final cover (the registry is flipped), but itA’s due to come out in december, so thatA’s not far away.

Awe, c'mon. You know as well as the rest of us that it wouldn't be the first time they've released something with an error like that. ;)

However, it does seem unlikely that they will use that. Amazon tends to post whatever picture they can get their hands on for their product pre-releases (like the calendars with last year's picture on them.) That's probably just a cover that someone made in their home and posted on the internet.

I gotta admit; even though I have TNG on DVD and I don't have a Blu-Ray player, this is tempting me to get one. I grew up with TNG and I feel about it like the folks who grew up with TOS feel about that series. I would love to see the episodes like never before in HD. :) (plus, they really had to compress them to fit 4 episodes onto the DVDs, so you know they're not the best quality)
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/tng-comparison.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/tng-comparison-2.jpg

This is so amazing. I can't believe they're actually doing this. I expected rather disappointing CG effects.
    I would of loved to see the shots in newer CG... but I guess I can settle for watching the original effects shots...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I would have preferred CGI too, but I'm not at all dissapointed with the results of the HD transformation. I just hope that some shots of less details models can hold up.
    I can't wait to see the Ent-D entering Wolf 359 now!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I'm happy to see it being done this way, you don't lose the character of the original effects and you don't end up with cg that's usually worse than the originals
    From what that TrekCore pages says, "visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead recompositioned."

In the trailer video, you can clearly see, that warp nacelle glow flare up, and the warp flash itself differ from the original...

Someone posted on the original upload of the trailer, that the starfield is new CGI.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Agree with IRML. Well, the FX were done in beta I think, so they will have to be redone in some form, so you may get your wish. I for one always appreciate a good miniature.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    :o Crap...there goes more money down the toilet. I never bought the DVDs, but I can't pass this up in BluRay :)
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Viper wrote: »
    :o Crap...there goes more money down the toilet. I never bought the DVDs, but I can't pass this up in BluRay :)

Money down the toilet, hell i'm about to be BROKE. I have to buy a high def TV now, a blue ray player, and the blue ray episodes!

Also... i noticed that the effects in that sample clip of the enterprise entering warp appear to have been enhanced in some fashion. If you notice, the impulse engine and window lights don't flicker out when it's jumping to warp like what happened in the original stuff due to the slit screen shots. I wonder how that was done. Think the lights where just animated back in on the original slit screen shot?

Either way, I'm glad that they're just recompositioning the shots and not redoing them as CG. Many of the effects shots of the 4 footer ship were really well done from back in the day and still in my opinion look better than any CG I've seen.
    Yaric wrote: »
    Also... i noticed that the effects in that sample clip of the enterprise entering warp appear to have been enhanced in some fashion. If you notice, the impulse engine and window lights don't flicker out when it's jumping to warp like what happened in the original stuff due to the slit screen shots. I wonder how that was done. Think the lights where just animated back in on the original slit screen shot?

I just noticed that to... they probably composited that stuff over it... because their is no hint of that in the original shot... except for the much dimmer impulse engine...

Also noticed, that the video is widescreen... unless the trailer just took the 4:3 video and cropped it into a widescreen look...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I would of loved to see the shots in newer CG... but I guess I can settle for watching the original effects shots...

I wouldn't agree unless the artists they brought in understood why the model looked the way it did. (IRML comes to mind!)

I doubt they'd spring for it, it's a very nuanced art form. It's good to see the original models given new life.
    NanoGator wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree unless the artists they brought in understood why the model looked the way it did.

What do you mean?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I just noticed that to... they probably composited that stuff over it... because their is no hint of that in the original shot... except for the much dimmer impulse engine...

Also noticed, that the video is widescreen... unless the trailer just took the 4:3 video and cropped it into a widescreen look...

actually, big thing of note in that warp out shot... they did a major cleanup of the 6 to 2 foot transition, that's why there weirdness colour difference and flickering is gone.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Nadesico wrote: »
    actually, big thing of note in that warp out shot... they did a major cleanup of the 6 to 2 foot transition, that's why there weirdness colour difference and flickering is gone.

Yea, I even tried playing the video at like 1/4 of total speed, and still couldn't catch the transition, lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    I'm not a fan of the way that shot of the Enterprise was recomposited. I thought it was CG at first. Way too much bloom, and the contrast looks washed out compared to original version.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the way that shot of the Enterprise was recomposited. I thought it was CG at first. Way too much bloom, and the contrast looks washed out compared to original version.

Well, some of that might be as a result of the videos encoding... the video I got was MP4, at least when I downloaded it from YouTube... and YT plays a toll on video quality, and the video uploaded to TrekCore's channel isn't any better... as it appears they downloaded it from somewhere else... or the video they got had a poor bitrate...

Here is a much better quality version, I uploaded...

Best to try and watch it in 720p... because in good YT fashion, they botched the bitrate... I'll upload the original video somewhere... it's FLV format, 70.34MB, use VLC to play it, and it looks awesome! :D

I chose megaupload, because they have the fastest free download speed, I've ever encountered... if anyone knows a faster file host, feel free, I'll put it there to...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GXHKHFK0

Sorry about the long filename, shoulda changed that before I uploaded it, lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    IRML wrote: »
    I'm happy to see it being done this way, you don't lose the character of the original effects and you don't end up with cg that's usually worse than the originals

I agree. TNG is my favorite Star Trek series, and not just because I grew up with it. I love them all, but TNG is a cut above the rest, IMO. And I love the effects. But I also won't buy the "Remastered" TOS episodes because the CGI ruined the character of the episodes, IMO. I think the original effects are great, they were state of the art at the time and a lot of people put a lot of work into them, they shouldn't have their work redone by someone years later using newer techniques. They are great for what they are, IMO. That's why I'm considering actually getting a player and getting these, so that I can watch them as they were intended to be in HD. (fortunately, I splurged on an HDTV last year)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Ok, re-hosted on mediafire as a back up. >_> thanks or uploading the hq version.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ofxxbu4ojhxhp57

I had my doubts when I first heard about this, but those comparos and the idea the original model work will remain sounds like a good thing.

Not my fave eps but definitely going on my must get list.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I note the picture of the box in the video has the ship the right way around. Thank god - Fans would have been bitching about that on TNG's 50th anniversary. ;)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    lol, like the upside down Ent B on the st6 special features DVD.

upside+down+ship.jpg
    gotta admit though, it is one of those lol things where it is some sort of sad injoke for fans. >_<
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Hah! That's awesome.

Q: How do you seriously piss off thousands of passionate fans?
    A: See above. :)
  • 021310061976021310061976333 Posts: 8Member
    When I first heard about this I thought it was going to be a big CGI wank-fest that plowed over my childhood memories like some big cash-cow-milking steamroller. However, after seeing that trailer, I don't quite feel so bad about the idea. :)
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    lol, like the upside down Ent B on the st6 special features DVD.

upside+down+ship.jpg
    gotta admit though, it is one of those lol things where it is some sort of sad injoke for fans. >_<

That one is actually funny in more ways than one.

1. That ship isn't even in that movie.

2. Do you know how many processes and people that has to go through to get approved for printing? None of them caught that. (they apparently couldn't be bothered to look up from their wallets long enough to actually see the thing)

It's just too funny, even if a bunch of fanboys did cry about it. :lol:
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Comco wrote: »
    Hah! That's awesome.

Q: How do you seriously piss off thousands of passionate fans?
    A: See above. :)

Im the one that submitted that to nitpickers.com. :)