Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFar Trader (Traveller)

• markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    this is looking interesting, hadnt seen this thread before... Not familiar with the traveler universe, reminds me of a zeplin from underneath... had the indiana jones music in my head for some reason when i looked at that top image.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks, Mark!
    Paneling is done, most major detailing is done; trying out a few paint jobs. I think I like the gloss black best, so far.

0917_gloss_black3.png
    0917_gloss_black4.png
    0917_gloss_black5.png

Here we have a basic grey-ish color
    0917_gray.png

"Rescue Yellow"?
    0917_rescue_yellow.png

And my wife suggested this one
    0917_hot_pink.png
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    u need to make it maulti colored....
    this is just a base color I'm deciding on. honestly, I'm seriously considering grayscale renderings for the final illustrations, so some form of off-white will probably prevail. I do kinda like that yellow color, though.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Considering this is basically a "Company Jet" of sorts, I just don't see yellow as being the color of choice.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    It will always depend on the company, surely. If it was Virgin Galactic, I'd expect it white and red, If it was Coca Cola I'd expect it red with white trim, if it was Ford I'd expect silver and blue, Macdonalds Red and Yellow...

If I had half your skill, I'd set up several textures or differing colour schemes and have several ships in your virtual garage.

But then, I am a man with a brain the size of a pea.

**edit** but you do, of course, want some fixed panels and areas to be a standard colour across them all, as with a car, you only colour the body panels (and windows sometimes) and for your 'fixed' material, I think that glossy black would look lovely. Onyx makes a good futuristic alternative to today's chrome. :)
    true. engines, windows, probably the cargo doors (which are almost un-noticeable right now), and maybe the middle row of panels on the primary hull.

and, about my "mad skilz," I'm happy with my modeling ability, but my texturing leaves quite a bit to be desired.

thanks, guys!
    Capt Dave wrote:
    Considering this is basically a "Company Jet" of sorts, I just don't see yellow as being the color of choice.
    but the hot pink, you're okay with.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    The gloss black does look very nice. (but then I'm a goth. ;) )
    traq wrote: »
    Capt Dave wrote: »

but the hot pink, you're okay with.

You never know what them Rock Bands are going to want.
    Some more work.
    1107c.png
    1107f.png

and, the air/raft (turned out pretty slick IIDSSM):
    airraft_1107b.png
    airraft_1106b_S.png

We are nearly ready to Publish!
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Wow, this is looking good:thumb:, and you're right, the air raft is quite the looker:p
    We are down to the wire on this project.

I am looking for people to be a part of the Quality Team. You will be given a draft copy to review. You will be looking for errors of any kind. If it looks like an error, you need to note it and report it. You are also encouraged to give constructive criticism, telling us what you like, what you don't like, what you think needs improvement.

If you're interested drop me an email at davidablalock at gmail dot com. Not all will be selected to proof this project, but you will still be on the list for future projects.
    thanks for the kind reply, cavebear. just for you:

tpt133a_7a.png
    ready for boarding!
    Wow! That is a beautiful pic :)
    Is that "Corinthian" leather by any chance? I wouldn't mind taking a ride in her, that's for sure:thumb:
    ... "Corinthian"?

your guess is as good as mine : )
    ... "Corinthian"?

your guess is as good as mine : )

It's from the old Ricardo Montalban TV ads he did for Chrysler in 1988. The company wanted to sound like it was using high end materials and so came up with Corinthian leather for its seats. Of course there was no such thing but it sounded good and sold cars. It was just regular cow leather. Here is a link.
    ah, well, here at trillium, we've been to the edge of the universe and back - it's real Corinthian leather. :D
    ah, well, here at trillium, we've been to the edge of the universe and back - it's real Corinthian leather. :D
    Yes, we at trillium only care about profit. So we use real Corinthian Leather. This lets us sell a the care kits so that the uncured leather stays soft and supple without developing that rotting flesh smell. And since we auction off our internal fleet after about 10 years, by the time your able to get one of these beauties your going to need that kit...badly. :devil:
    The model is basically done - I'm spending time now working on layout and putting together the packet. We're at about 28 pages - I expect to be at about 30-35 when it's finished. Check out the cover!

........coverpage.png

Currently editing the character sheets, and I'm thinking up another adventure hook. As Dave said, we need a few proofreaders! Free advance copy!
    Ya know, this version of the cover is starting to grow on me. It can stay.
    yeah, I like the scan lines!
    hey guys, got some news: the Fat Cat is on Facebook. Check it out!
    Hello everyone - long wait, but I've got some great news! The booklet is finished, and we are "Going for Broke":

kick.png

Check out our Kickstarter!

We hope to have funding, in the next 30 days, to publish the Fat Cat in "Dead Tree" format!

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their input - you helped! Any questions, please, let me know!
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Boo Yaah !

DZ
    So far we are three days in, and we have 8 backers, just need another 367. Backing the project for $12 will get you a printed copy of this ship supplement, if you back it for more you will get additional swag!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376833843/fat-cat-far-trader-print-edition
    I was looking at Marc Millers Kick Starter page for T5 and saw that it had a link to yours :)
    cavebear wrote: »
    I was looking at Marc Millers Kick Starter page for T5 and saw that it had a link to yours :)

dude, really? where (I don't see it)? awesome.
    Here's a pic. It's down at the bottom of the page.
    96142.PNG
    I've been doing some more work on this. Kickstarter has energized my creative juices!

work:
    shot_2a_ks.png

play:
    water_0e1_p.png

Both of these were pretty challenging. I've never done renders like these (material-wise). If anyone has tips for laser blasts or ocean waves (as always, working with Wings3D + Kerkythea), LMK!
    enjoy!