Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier

13»

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I was surfing for Yak-24 images, when suddenly found this:
    7814ad7ee99c.jpg

First thoughts were: "WTF?! For real?!"

Thats the project of heavy helicopter from Yakovlev`s bureau. It was called VVP-6.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    haha awesome, do you have a year of conception for that project?
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Somewhere in between 1952 and 1970, I guess. Almost no info on this project available. Funny enough, this thing started as a transport vehicle, to carry the huge loads to the distant locations (spare missiles for the SAM sites too), but ended as a flying SAM site itself.

Here`s the most detailed sourse I`ve found.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/yak_vvp-6.php
    You know what I have never seen that before and your now the third person to send me that in the last two weeks!

I have veered away from rotors and gone with vectored thrust engines in dual mounts. A total of 16 in 8 pods.

You can see progress here.
    91490.jpg
    USS.jpg 524.1K
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    hmmmm
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I like the Vector thrust idea.... but i'd go with 4 thrusters, not two....
    If I went for four that would be total engine overkill!
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Not really, I even preferred the six-engine set up! The entire thing looks rugged and tough, but just two engines seems like a weakness.

Those landing legs look pretty good too, BTW.
    Ahh I see what your looking at. It may look like it only has two engine pods it actually has 8, two more than it had previously.

I have just brought them in close to the main body and made them flush with the hull.

The main reason was that when I was painting it in photoshop, no matter what angle I drew from the engine struts would block out all the detail of the ship and the landing legs making for a not very interesting drawing!

Here is a view of the back still a WIP and a screenshot of the engines so you can get a better view
    91492.jpg91493.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Woah, good progress on that awesome design. :D
    Personally, I'd go for an extra pair of legs. more weight distribution and it will make it look larger I think.
    Meph wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go for an extra pair of legs. more weight distribution and it will make it look larger I think.

YES they are needed badly, now the engines have been brought in its very apparent how skinny the legs are. Im just looking for a good place to put them, will post another image when I have decided.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I think a good place for at least one more pair of landing legs would be right to the rear of the aft engine pods. It would balance out the back side and make it look less like it would teeter back when another helo lands on the extended platform.
    Ah.... i see... you've got 8 built in thrusters and the 4 on the 2 struts.... that makes better sense to me than just the 4 on 2 struts.
  • guestguest0 Posts: 0Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought about the designation but CV stands for 'carrier vessel' so i thought hcv could stand for helicarrier vessel ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

V is the symbol for "heavier than air".
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    1) Welcome to SciFi Meshes! You have just committed one of the errors new folks sometimes make, for which they get chided, in more or less loud and obnoxious terms, to whit: Necroposting. You should not post a new post on a thread which has not seen activity in some time. Tsk, tsk!

2) The V, as I have stated elsewhere in this thread, and as is stated at the Wikipedia page, is from the French word "Volant," which means "flying." (French having been the world's (ah-hem) Lingua Franca at the time the hull classification system was developed).
    Meph wrote: »

Sure thing. It actually has six legs now although you cant see them due to obstructed views here.
    Jenny wrote: »
    1) Welcome to SciFi Meshes! You have just committed one of the errors new folks sometimes make, for which they get chided, in more or less loud and obnoxious terms, to whit: Necroposting. You should not post a new post on a thread which has not seen activity in some time. Tsk, tsk!

2) The V, as I have stated elsewhere in this thread, and as is stated at the Wikipedia page, is from the French word "Volant," which means "flying." (French having been the world's (ah-hem) Lingua Franca at the time the hull classification system was developed).

Its fine, not dead have just been busy, here is an update posted in the gallery some time ago although I have just ran an update so will be posting some new images in a few hours.
    93986.jpg
    Looks great....

Will you be building the Helicarrier from Avengers when this one is finished?
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    Looks great....

Will you be building the Helicarrier from Avengers when this one is finished?

I doubt it, I started this a long time ago with the idea to be original and different and not be influenced by any marvel designs. I havent seen any designes for the movie version although I doubt I will be a fan?
    I doubt it, I started this a long time ago with the idea to be original and different and not be influenced by any marvel designs. I havent seen any designes for the movie version although I doubt I will be a fan?

I've seen snippets of it.... plus the brief look we got in the trailer... It could be an interesting look. It appears to have an open top deck, with potentially a half covered 2nd flight deck and potentially a rear entrance on the underside.

hcsamples.jpg

351ftpu.jpg

Hopefully we'll get a better look in Wednesday's trailer as well
    I've seen snippets of it.... plus the brief look we got in the trailer... It could be an interesting look. It appears to have an open top deck, with potentially a half covered 2nd flight deck and potentially a rear entrance on the underside.

hcsamples.jpg

351ftpu.jpg

Hopefully we'll get a better look in Wednesday's trailer as well

Yeah I saw those and wasn't to impressed. Why do they have harriers and what looks like alpha jets on a shield carrier. Also the concept art shows an F22 flying into/landing an internal hanger/runway suggesting it will have a large internal runway. Its interesting they are not using the F-35 although its only concept art?
    Yeah I saw those and wasn't to impressed. Why do they have harriers and what looks like alpha jets on a shield carrier. Also the concept art shows an F22 flying into/landing an internal hanger/runway suggesting it will have a large internal runway. Its interesting they are not using the F-35 although its only concept art?

TBH.... they're keeping a lot of the Helicarrier design & set up secret, so i can only speculate. My guess is that they will be using the F-35 (be shocked if they weren't' TBH), but with the Harrier's VTOL capabilities, it's a good choice as well. I'm also guessing the F-22 in the concept art is just there as that's what the designer used.
    TBH.... they're keeping a lot of the Helicarrier design & set up secret, so i can only speculate. My guess is that they will be using the F-35 (be shocked if they weren't' TBH), but with the Harrier's VTOL capabilities, it's a good choice as well. I'm also guessing the F-22 in the concept art is just there as that's what the designer used.

If its big enough I gather conventional aircraft could land however I would expect the F-35. Also if thats the Quinjet I am not a fan!
    That is the Quinjet i'm afraid....
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    Quinjet? what's that?

also, where did you get those pics of the Helicarrier? i recognize one of them from the the trailer but the rest i don't recognize.
    Pheonix wrote: »
    Quinjet? what's that?

also, where did you get those pics of the Helicarrier? i recognize one of them from the the trailer but the rest i don't recognize.

Quinjet

I'm a member of a big forum that deals with comic book movies and whatnot... the snippet image was posted in a thread for the Avengers movie by someone who the Mods seem to trust to be a legit source
    I dont think I will make a Quinjet not a fan. Here are some updates.
    93992.jpg
    A6.jpg 166.7K
    ...or maybe I will make a sort of quinjet type aircraft?
    93994.jpg
    oh that is cool....
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    almost reminds me of one of the HK planes from the Terminator series :thumb:
    Yes it does a bit!

Its only a kitbash used to populate the carrier deck so not going to spend any more time on it. i will probably strip away most of the detail now.