Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek Style Warp Stars Tutorial in 3D Studio Max 9

Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
edited September 2011 in Tutorials #1
Just my little tutorial on how to achieve a Star Trek in warp style star effect. This is just a "quick" rundown of how to do it, tweak settings to your liking as you need to.
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• darkdavedarkdave0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok will check it out, while we are on the subject of diferent platforms, how easy is it to convert scenes between max, maya and lightwave?
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    darkdave wrote: »
    Ok will check it out, while we are on the subject of diferent platforms, how easy is it to convert scenes between max, maya and lightwave?

That I'm not sure... at least as far as particles are concerned... I suggest getting someone who uses Lightwave, who can assist you with its particle systems, to get a similar effect as I show in Max.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    darkdave wrote: »

I did a quick Google search on particles in Lightwave and immediate turned up a number of things, including video tutorials on YouTube. I'd suggest you do a search and see what you can come up with. Once you know how to use the particle emitter, you'll have a better idea of how easy it's going to be to adapt Chris's tutorial.
  • darkdavedarkdave0 Posts: 0Member
    I did a quick Google search on particles in Lightwave and immediate turned up a number of things, including video tutorials on YouTube. I'd suggest you do a search and see what you can come up with. Once you know how to use the particle emitter, you'll have a better idea of how easy it's going to be to adapt Chris's tutorial.

I DID do a google search, several times in fact. But what I want is not just moving dots but MOVING STREAKS for lightwave.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE YELLING AT ME. I DON'T LIKE BEING YELLED AT FOR ATTEMPTING TO HELP PEOPLE.

I never said you didn't do a Google search, I merely stated that I did one and that it came up with positive results.

As for the 2nd part, read my previous post better:

One thing I've learned over the years about tutorials is that you can't always find them for the program in which you're working. Sometimes, you have to find one for another program and then figure out if your software has similar tools, which will allow you to adapt it for your software.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE YELLING AT ME. I DON'T LIKE BEING YELLED AT FOR ATTEMPTING TO HELP PEOPLE.

I never said you didn't do a Google search, I merely stated that I did one and that it came up with positive results.

As for the 2nd part, read my previous post better:

One thing I've learned over the years about tutorials is that you can't always find them for the program in which you're working. Sometimes, you have to find one for another program and then figure out if your software has similar tools, which will allow you to adapt it for your software.

Sometimes I use caps to emphasize, and not yell at people per say... but side issue.

Yea, same here, not all tutorials I've come across have been Max specific... I've had to alter a tutorial or 2 in some areas for my CG program...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • x2egox2ego0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice and easy to understand tutorial Chris, thank you. I'll use that with my 1701 when she is done.