Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSerenity Universe- The Osiris

ArcPaladinArcPaladin171 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2011 in Work in Progress #1
First up...I'm no where NEAR the skills 99.9% of the posters here are. I fiddle around with Poser and Milkshape, mostly. So....this is the Osiris, a model I've been fiddling with for a year now. I always wanted to see more civilian ships from the Serenity universe. We only ever got glimpses of them. So I figured I'd make one myself.

Osiris is a obsolete/decommissioned military dropship that was purchased at a surplus auction decades ago.

Comments/suggestions/etc are always welcome.

~Arc'
91357.jpg
Post edited by ArcPaladin on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting...in a good way though. I've always thought that Firefly was a crap show with a great background. So I agree I'd have liked to see more of the other ships around.
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    Firefly was a decent show that got cancelled before it could become great.

The model has great potential, but it also seems to have a few weaknesses... Like those hexagonal panels and the dishes... Seeing how much turbulence those vessels tended to get when going in for landing... How well would such panels and dishes really hold up?

The model is fairly low-poly, but still quite decent. The textures do make up for some of it. It'd be a nice thing to see a hi-poly version of your ship, with similarly enhanced details on the textures...
  • ArcPaladinArcPaladin171 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm....good point on the dishes I hadn't thought of that, I'll try and come up with a better idea for them...as for the hexagonal panels...they're actually solar cells. I pictured them flush/conforming to the ships surface during flight, but when landed, they extend as seen to better capture sunlight.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions!

~Arc'
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Egeria wrote: »
    Firefly was a decent show that got cancelled before it could become great.

i'd agree with that... the potential the show had was mouthwatering IMHO...

Cool design, can we get some other views at all?
    More images...sure.
    Heres's a side, front, back and top of the Osiris. Also one of her offloading cargo from Bay 2

I pictured the ship as pretty much a straight up/ straight down transport in an atmosphere. She CAN travel from point A to point B in an atmosphere. But there's none of the manueverability of a Firefly or Scarab class. As for space travel, she has an internally mounted Gurstler drive. For atmospheric landing/travel she has four internally mounted Capissen 22 fusion drives. The extendable landing gear contain no drives, per-se, but do have clusters of RCS nozzles for fine control during landings.The Osiris is an ex-Alliance dropship: LIFTER-class. I imagined her as having swappable modules when she was in the Alliancefor the bays, so she could act as a light carrier (carrying 5 gunships), a medical transport, cargo transport, or gunship with weapons emplacements being plugged into to bays.
    91373.jpg91374.jpg91375.jpg91376.jpg91377.jpg
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Great design! One thing though, in though Firefly/Serenity universe I got the impression that most of the ships that were bought at auctions, or from used ship dealers, were retro fitted to enable the for long distance travel. I don't know the intended range of the Osiris but, you might want to add a mix-matched thruster assembly in order to make it capable of at least interplanetary travel. As drop ships or modules are usually just for transporting personnel and equipment to an from the surface of planets. I'm also assuming it's "current" use is for cargo and or transport? But in any case, great design and concept.
    <nods> Maybe "dropship" is the wrong term for her. I used the name because she reminds me alot of the old Mechwarrior dropships. Perhaps light transport, or, if Serenity is a "mid-bulk" transport, maybe "heavy-bulk" transport is better? Anyhoo... she was always imagined with space travel capability. The attached picture shows her underside. The central engine is her "space-drive" while the four smaller ones ringing it are her atmospheric drives.
    <NOTE: Much less detail on the underside as very little of it was to be ever seen in the original images>

~Arc'
    91378.jpg