Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpace Marine

Andre EAndre E0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2012 in Work in Progress #1
This is an Ultramarine from Warhammer 40K that I have been working on for more than a year now. Hopefully I will finish it this year.

The modeling and rigging is done, and the texturing is around 70% done. But texturing has never been my strong point so it is taking forever!

Comments and criticism welcome.
91280.jpg
91281.jpg
Post edited by Andre E on

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    That's a lot of work you've done there. Good start. One thing about your textures I've noticed. The wear on the paint job is great, but the bits of exposed metal, look like white plastic. You might want to grey that up a bit. Also the yellow seems a little clean to me. It seems you need a dirt and grime layer to your textures. That said you done a very good job on the scratch and spatter elements.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    The colour is too purple. Try something closer to an RGB of 0,96,147.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Pagrin wrote: »
    That's a lot of work you've done there. Good start. One thing about your textures I've noticed. The wear on the paint job is great, but the bits of exposed metal, look like white plastic. You might want to grey that up a bit. Also the yellow seems a little clean to me. It seems you need a dirt and grime layer to your textures. That said you done a very good job on the scratch and spatter elements.

I partially agree there, but perhaps it would be a case of overlaying a specularity map so that there's high spec on the exposed metal but low spec over the paint. That would have the effect of getting rid of the plastic look.

Though I definitely agree with the scratching effects, they look great, I assume that's using some stock images?
  • Andre EAndre E0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the replies, all good comments.

I changed the underlying material to look much more metallic and I think it looks a lot better now.

I started texturing the helmet, and once I'm done with that I will revisit the gold trimmings to make it look a bit more dirty. I also want to redo the feet because the scratches looks a little excessive.
    91313.jpg
    Yes that's much closer to a metal. Although I'd leave the scratches on the feet as is, because you would expect them to get a lot of wear and tear, stomping about the empire.
    Just as a general question what software are you using? It might help people advise you if we know what tools you've got.
    Actually, another hint I once picked up regarding battle damage on textures is to show different layers of paint too. There'll obviously be a primer underneath so you'll see that before you'll see the bare metal. Then you'll have layers of metal that's freshly exposed and metal that's been exposed for a while so is more dull.
    Here's the marine's Bolt Pistol.

I'm using 3ds max btw.
    91344.png
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Here you go, fixed it for you:

ultrabluei.th.jpg

There, now he looks like a proper Ultralamemarine.
    Colour wise, there's this chart that converts the main Citidel paints into RGB and Hex values: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/Tyler/GWColors.pdf
    fine, that does look a lot better :) i'll definitely update it. thanks!

and thanks for that chart, i'll grab the color for the gold trimmings off there too.
    Handy link Armondikov.
    The pistol geometry looks bang on. Nice level of small detail while not getting to over the top.
    Fixed the color
    91369.jpg
    sm19.jpg 390.4K
    Seeing it from the front makes me remember why I hate some Space Marine proportions. The massive over-sized shoulders and broad chests just look retarded. If you tilt in the pads and pull them in a little, it'll look a little more like there's a human in there. The attached image shows what I mean, the one on the left is what the current armour implies is under there, the one on the right is what should be under there. All it should take is tilting the arms slightly and then playing with the scale of the upper arms.

Take a look at the Dawn of War intro (first one, not the second one that actually rolls with the deformed trope) and then Binkerman's marines that follow the same idea. Undoubtedly it'll make it easier to animate because it will more closely follow how human shoulders work rather than as if they're just bolted onto the side of the torso.

But that's just my personal opinion on geometry. The texturing looks great, especially the bump map and weathering.
    91372.jpg
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Seeing it from the front makes me remember why I hate some Space Marine proportions. The massive over-sized shoulders and broad chests just look retarded. If you tilt in the pads and pull them in a little, it'll look a little more like there's a human in there. The attached image shows what I mean, the one on the left is what the current armour implies is under there, the one on the right is what should be under there. All it should take is tilting the arms slightly and then playing with the scale of the upper arms.

Take a look at the Dawn of War intro (first one, not the second one that actually rolls with the deformed trope) and then Binkerman's marines that follow the same idea. Undoubtedly it'll make it easier to animate because it will more closely follow how human shoulders work rather than as if they're just bolted onto the side of the torso.

But that's just my personal opinion on geometry. The texturing looks great, especially the bump map and weathering.

I know exactly what you mean, I had to stretch the biped's shoulders quite a bit to make them fit the armor. But personally I quite like the broad shoulders. And and I don't think you can really compare an Astartes with a human, they are quite different.

Speaking of the shoulders, any tips on how to rig them? Currently I just have the shoulder pads linked to the upper arms but that results in a lot of clipping when the arms are moved.
    Finished the marine's 2 handed Thunder Hammer. It's about the same length as the marine.
    91444.png
    I'd round off those sharp corners at the heads of the hammer myself, to give it a more worn feel, currently it looks a little to perfectly formed. but the little bit of cable is a nice little touch of detail.
    I think that would come with the texturing. The marine itself has some great weathering effects and bump mapping, so continuing those onto the weapon would be an obvious step.
    Finally made some progress with the texturing, I basically redid everything yet again.
    Still need to texture the hands and backpack, and then the weapons.
    91506.jpg91507.jpg
    Here's a closeup of the head
    91508.jpg
    sm22.jpg 228.5K
    I think you have a problem with the bump mapping, though I couldn't tell you precisely what. Perhaps it's cranked up too high, giving the edges too much shadow. It needs to be subtle to work better. It could also be that you have too much of a jump between your paint and the metal. The paint looks like it's Hammerite, which is nice, but is too extreme for the smooth metal underneath.
    Armondikov wrote: »
    I think you have a problem with the bump mapping, though I couldn't tell you precisely what. Perhaps it's cranked up too high, giving the edges too much shadow. It needs to be subtle to work better. It could also be that you have too much of a jump between your paint and the metal. The paint looks like it's Hammerite, which is nice, but is too extreme for the smooth metal underneath.

Hmmm... I see what you mean, the 'hammerite' effect is too deep.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    For the Emperor! Into combat, Battle Brothers!!!
    Finally got to do a bit more texturing on my Space Marine. I did some overall tweaking on all the textures, did the hands, and most of the backpack. These's a few items that I still need to texture, and I also want to redo the skull on the emblem, belt and backpack.
    91709.jpg91710.jpg
    Here's a close-up
    91711.jpg
    sm30.jpg 249.5K
    And here's a pose I was playing around with when I got bored of texturing
    91712.jpg
    sm30.jpg 472.4K
    Bump mapping looks loads better and he is rocking that pose! :thumb:
  • orkyorky0 Posts: 0Member
    could you post a side/front/top view of the thunder hammer? i wish to model my own, and i need your perfect refrence.