Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D40k Space Marine

13»

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    You could also just select all the edges and hit the "create shape from edges" button (I think its called that) , select the smooth option, and see what the result looks like :p
  • RegulusBlackRegulusBlack0 Posts: 0Member
    Chimera, now with skulls.

Chimera-04.jpg

@ Egeria - thank you, the IP is very interesting if you have some time check out their wiki i find the lore fantastic (albeit somewhat over the top)

@ Armond -Thx for the links, gave me a good thought process, basically i grouped my skulls, put a FFD sphere around them tweaked the sphere, chamfered all the Edge lines to about .1 then deleted the larger square and extruded the "net part" up close its meh but from a distance it does the job.

@ Melak - i really like the create from edge aspect although sometimes it can be a bit crazy (my machine has crashed a couple of times after doing it on some complex geometry) but 90% of the time it works great

let me know what you guys think.
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    That's really some good modelling.

About the net, I think the best and fastest way to do it is with a plane subdivided with the density you want, collapse to poly, use soft selection to arrange it in the position you want and then use create shape from selection as Melak said. It should work, but it would depend much on the machine you are running.

I'm not familiar with the universe, so I'm not sure this would help you, but Marek Denko's work on the buggy might be a good inspiration

10sBuggy_desert_front_.jpg?1247178620
    Manticore - about 95% done (need to work on the back)

Manticore02.jpg

@braindmg - thx for the critique i basically did that for the net, i just chamfered the edges instead of making it from shapes but it looks alright for now,

Mareks's buggy is phenomenal, i wish i could model/texture like that.

let me know what you guys think
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    @ Armond -Thx for the links, gave me a good thought process, basically i grouped my skulls, put a FFD sphere around them tweaked the sphere, chamfered all the Edge lines to about .1 then deleted the larger square and extruded the "net part" up close its meh but from a distance it does the job.

That's all it needs to do, really. Looks good so far but you might want to look at the parts near the top where it gathers, each section of rope should be the same length, so where it's bunched up at the top it should sag down. I think that would give it the appearance of rope rather than something more rigid.
    @Armond - i'll work on the top to get it right i agree as it was just placeholder currently.

im going with one more major model, im thinking of either Vulture/Valkyrie/Whatever the name of the third type is

or

if anyone has something they would rather see let me know. (IG range something from forgeworld or GW preferrably)

afterwards i will then start working on Texturing/animation sequences
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    There are plenty of Forgeworld models that aren't commonly made in 3D. I can't recall seeing anything done with the First World War style Malcador chassis. The Gorgon also, which happens to be on my list of things to get when I get money to burn as I want to build a diorama of it being overrun with Tyranids. And the Praetor and Crassus seem relatively new. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Super_Heavy_Tanks?filter_reset=1

Generally speaking there's still a few things to do in the CG world yet!
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Ooooh, new tanks! Hadn't seen those before. The Praetor looks kind of cool.