Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D40k Space Marine

• RegulusBlackRegulusBlack0 Posts: 0Member
    hey guys, thx for the comments, started work on my Renegade legion (preliminary BloodPact soldier)

RenegadeLegion-03.jpg

still a lot to do, about 75% complete with modeling. Not completely happy with his "BreastPlate"

@ Alpha- im using a version of headus uv layout for "hero objects" to unwrap then apply a generic texture. and to add the paint wear/rust, im just painting a layer using vertex paint layer with a turbosmooth of 2X added on the stack.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    About the breastplates, how about a little more room for his armpits and maybe some visible hinges for the 'belly-ribs'? Everything looks a bit stiff and rigid atm.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    started work on my Renegade legion (preliminary BloodPact soldier)
    The what in the what now? Did GW retcon in a traitor Imperial Guard or something?
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Ah no, the Bloodpact come from the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, basically a Khornate guard army, renegades, but also recruited from chaos conquered worlds. If you haven't yet, grab 'm and read 'm. Those novels are awesome, seldomly have I swallowed that many novels in such a short amount of time. Dan Abnett is the master!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Pact
    Ah. Yeah I know of the series, but have never read any of them (other than an excerpt of the original that was published as a teaser in White Dwarf back in the day - I think).
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Meph wrote: »
    About the breastplates, how about a little more room for his armpits and maybe some visible hinges for the 'belly-ribs'? Everything looks a bit stiff and rigid atm.

Plate armour is surprisingly rigid. Although futuristic armour you'd expect to be a little closer to modern Kevlar jackets, 40k is all over the place so I think it's fine as is. Arms are a little scrawny though, particularly for a Khornate group who you'd expect to be pretty beefed up.
    update to Renegade Legion, pulled the grotesque and went with a baclava, fixed his breastplate. not sure if he is still 4ok enough, instead of skulls hanging from his belt i might do either hands or ears.

RenegadeLegion-04.jpg

let me know what you guys think.

i will probably slap an 8 arrows or skull on his chest when i texture him

i think i might pull his right kneepad and i might add a shin guard, but i dont want him to be too armored.

@armondikov- i am going to add in the "skull helmed" enforcers from forgeworld as my "big" guardsmen, as well as i want to make sure i do a stark contrast to my Space Marines, so there is no question as to who is on what side.

however i am not sure what im going to do as i want to add either a corrupted Commisar or a corrupted psyker.
    Looking good. As far as being 40K enough goes, well it's a big universe - I'm sure not every non-Marine human adherent of Chaos can be a dishevelled cultist in rags. Some of them surely have to start out a bit more organised, even if they do end up going crazy and eating their own entrails eventually.

By the way, I checked out some videos of that UVLayout thing. I'd never heard of it, but it's pretty nifty looking. You'd think one of the big boys would have bought him out by now, or at least replicated the functionality anyway. It sure as hell beats the native mapping C4D offers.
    Thx for the replies guy, trying to keep up with some stuff, heres my Enforcer

RenegadeLegion-07.jpg

changing up his Shoulder Pads and some more work on his Chest Plate
    again any comments are welcome, next up is my Chaos Lord Commisar we'll see how he goes
    I'd like to see a close up of that helmet. It is well nice. :)
    update to Enforcer, took some advice and pulled the icons, probably still put a chaos arrow on his chest and groin plate but the textured bloody kind.
    changed up his ShoulderPads, and gave him an ear necklace. gonna work on his weapons may just do knife/LasPistol/LasGun, but if im feeling rather lucky i might do a Chaos version of my chainsword

RenegadeLegion-09.jpg

@ DCB yeah uvlayout smokes max's uv system and works really good

@ Armond i'll see if i can do a close up of his helm with some light changes

again thx for all your comments
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Terrific work on the Bloodpact warrior... really liking the skull helm you made for the enforcer! Can't wait to see him textured up! :D
    The ears on the necklace look a tad small. Children's ears?
    I think they probably shrink a bit when you boil them... :devil:
    Would boiling them actually preserve them? I admit that I am sadly ignorant of the ways of human trophy preparation and preservation.
    no, no... boiling them just makes them more tender! If you want to preserve them for display (as the Bloodpact soldier has done in the fine example above), you would need to spray them with a clear lacquer or varnish of some sort. :p
    no, no... boiling them just makes them more tender!
    Ah, I see. I hope he serves them up with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
    update to Commissar, head is currently just a place holder probably rip the side of his face off kinda like Batman's two face.

still need to do something with the shoulder pads and knee pads

RenegadeLegion-10.jpg

let me know what you guys think
    and with grotesque...

RenegadeLegion-11.jpg
    update to Commissar:

RenegadeLegion-13.jpg

i think i like his "swashbuckling" boots a bit better i am using Ciaphis Cain as an example (black library cover art to be exact)
    again let me know what you guys think.
    Clay Render of Chimera

Chimera.jpg

CC welcome

besides spikey bits what make Chaos vehicles truly Chaotic? i could possible zBrush a set of skulls within the metal but might not want to go too crazy with my poly count, any ideas would be fantastic.
    Hey Regulus! Wow you've been busy... all of your modeling looks fantastic! A couple of small comments and they are just my $0.02

On the Commissar - The sand / glare goggles kind of make him look like a tank or vehicle commander (Rommel came to mind as soon as I saw him :))... maybe nix the goggles and make a band of decorative braid around the cap? I do like him better without the knee-pads as it separates him from the common line troops. You could always give him a skull topped swagger stick to carry around.

For the Chimera - I would maybe fix it up with lots of skulls since this is a Khorne oriented army. Maybe piles of skulls in nets or strings of skulls hanging from the vehicle skirts? Might be too many polys to add though.... Chains and hooks are always good too besides the spikey bitz... :)
    need more chains?

Chimera-02.jpg
  • Boy GeniusBoy Genius0 Posts: 0Member
    looks very nice

keep it up
    need more chains?

Always.
    Update to Chimera, lost the big chain put smaller chains with hooks instead, i like it a bit better.

Sorry for not posting in a while, been pulling the paint off of my nephews SM models and gonna try and repaint them soon for him.

Chimera-03.jpg

@Alpha- do you know the best way to model netting, i like the idea of a bag"net" bag of skulls (kinda like the beginning of 300) but not sure how to go about modelling it.

Let me know what you guys think
    So whats up next? Hydra or Manticore?
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    To some utterly unfamiliar with the universe, those models look very good.
    This is all I managed to find: http://designreform.net/2009/04/3ds-max-2010-new-modeling-tools-or-graphite-modeling-tools/

Basically, arrange the bag or net as a normal sheet of polygons but pay attention to the position of the individual points and the edgeflow (no shortcuts for that, that I know of) and then just bevel it in and delete the polygons. But, at least keep a back-up of the bag so you can use it with dynamics simulations.
    This is probably the clearest reference image for a "bag of skulls" if you're interested. So each part where the ropes cross is the vertex of a quad: http://www.professional-hk.com/mediac/400_0/media/leather_net_bag$202.jpg

I have just thought of an alternative method. Though it may be more work, it might produce better results. Do the bag out of polygons as normal, but then kill the polys and use the points to construct multiple splines and extrude your rope along them.