Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNot Trek! The Purple People Eater

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
edited January 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Well, A Centauri ship. The show that started it all, or was one of the first.
Anyhow long way to go. That paired cannon thing is ehh dunno ATM.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
Tagged:

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Bugger forgot about the attachment thing here. Moving the images to this thread.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    What? Wait, where are the warp engines? ;) Looks cool, I like the cannon too.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, I really like the split head thing :)
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting Klingon Ship (J/K) looks interesting.
    Started in on some of the trimming and some I guess greebles? lol Just filling in the decks. I guess atm it is large components etc vs greebs.
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    very cool so far!
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice. The forward part looks a like like Excalibur to my eyes. But the "wings" give her that true old empire kind of feel you want with a Centauri ship
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, um...ornaments? lol
    huh?
    Huge CNP from other forums:

Mess of little things. Replaced some subd stuff with manually smoothed out crap. Mostly looking at how things will all work out and fit together. Also how to do it without bloating the polycount.

More I look at the yellow rib thing the more I am not sure about the structure under it. It is all one object, so it is not a easy thing to alter. Considering making the yellow ribs a separate object and build up crap to fill. Figured this could be some heavily shielded area for weapons plants or the like, maybe storage of the reactants for the reactors on board?

One thing I found odd on Centauri ships is the lack of rearward or at least defensive weapons. Everything points forward. I know the Vorchan is suppose to be a 600m fighter plane with support so technically aft coverage isnt as important. (screwed if your support wings are shot up) :shrug I will likely stick something on the thing though. I have not decided if the yellow knobs are going to be the 4 fusion cores or containment cores for the singular M/A reactor. Leaning towards the latter then I can designate those blue glowy things as vents for the fusion cores in the wings. Originally those were to be part of the emitter system to create the worm hole into hyperspace. Not to mention the possible use of that quantum space whatsit mentioned in Lost Tales.

I am heavily considering making this a latter class of ship say to have been put in service when Vir Cotto is in power after Londo passes for the fight against the Drakh. CIR 2270s BUT maybe It could be for the second coming in the 22602s. shrug.

Anyhow the update images.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    looooveeee babylon 5!! :thumb:
    some work on those reactor whatsits or whatever they are. Some windows from last night and I forget what else was done, not much since i had maybe a hour total time on it. The can things are lacking in cutouts into the main hull. I will have cuts beveling into the hull.
    No, I dunno what the red/orange intake looking things are. The original had flat grills that glowed. Shrug?

I need to work on materials too the yellow paint stuff is really not cutting it. Maybe it is the garish colours are killing the scale factor for me.
    Glowy crap and a new cannon, I think I will alter the deck to get rid of the huge hole. It makes the cannon look like it is sticking out too much. It atm just clears the upper hull. Maybe I will look at widening the hole so I can have the gun recessed more and clear things. Not sure if it is possible without undoing a lot of modeling. It wont be orange either, I just have not applied a material to it yet.
    New center bits on the cannon and alterations to the housing a bit. Probably going overboard on this but eh. The purple box inside will rotate up and down with the cannons themselves. This will be the range and targeting systems. Rounded box is operator station, bit tight and really on a ship pointless but I wanted the visual aspect side of things. Not sold on the framework I have likely just box it in with the frame guides for the "hinge" I need to find a place to add the heatsinks too since this if I recall is a plasma gun/cannon/whatever. I might rebuild that platform thing too to act as more of a shield over the whole turret part of the gun in replacement of that framework.

Render times are off the wall. Probably return to the simple background since I think part of it is that since it is being calculated into the bounced light of the scene.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    See here this is funny.....I was going to reject this as a "MadKoiFish" project on the basis of NO tiny figure NO belief that it is his work....but yet there he is in the window of post #13 and now on the main guns
    now.........I believe

Excellent
    mucking about with optics. EHHH to much glowy crap and too matte of a surface inside. Also glass elements fail. Need to relearn how to use diffraction etc to get it to look right. Need to figure out how to do coatings too. Idea is to have it appear like a coated red dot or holo tube. But addition of light inside so it stands out a hair at distance. ATM you can see the bottom where I should have a dark mat in, I forgot to apply it. . . oops.

Hope this segmentation wont be visable at normal close up. ergh. . . .

zubehoer-aia_3_punkt_red_dot_40mm-1126.jpg
    1x50_red_dot_sight_reddot_scope.jpg
    http://www.aiacrossbow.com/photos/accessories/xl/zubehoer-aia_3_punkt_red_dot_40mm-1126.jpg
    http://img.chinaqualitycrafts.com/10950413071993775_s/1x50_red_dot_sight_reddot_scope.jpg
    Some examples. Couldnt find a holo at the right angle to show those lenses, there are refractive non tube dots that have a blue to red coating. (not sure wha tit is most of my dots are sapphire or ruby and some green crap to which I forgot what stone is atomized onto it. I doubt this would have any real world relation, just figure some cool looking crap on etc. I just need some time to tune it vs needing sleep and forgetting crap. I will have more than just that tube in the targeting box. What I dunno yet.

Oh yeah, GOOD GOD THE PURPLE REFLECTIONS EVERYWHERE!!!! This is what is killing the system.
    Eh wanted a little light in the cannon tubes but EUGH too much. hah. I think the lens thing is done. Time to finish filling that box up and time to detail the components and get in and deal with all the hard edges in places.

btw the glow bloom flare thing is a filter placed in the camera effects. Id love if they had a lens flare filter to make flares off bright lights and hotspots on the mesh/scene.

The paired up images left is raw right is filtered.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great work! like to see your going into B5 scifi-stuff too. thnx.
    Not much for updates but some things here and there. Wasn't around the pc much today. Other than a few details I think I need to step away from the cannon.
    Over did the interior lights a bit.
    Working in the big gun thing.
    Some updates.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    That last shot captures the B5 feell really well.
    Ok final renders for the night, up a bit longer than planned. :p
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    This coming along really well. The details are starting to really make the size apparent.
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool
    A cross of a Centauri ship and the one from Crusade
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wow, greatly detailed, man! :D

Lovely.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Great looking ship.:thumb: It makes me think of what a Vargr would use in the old Traveller RPG:)
    Big gap in things going on with this.

Current work;
    Other ship:
    some more and where I left the big one at.