Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAries 1B from 2001: A Space Odyssey

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Thanks Scott. It's a shame it doesn't all fit inside the Aries. Of all the directors I would have thought Kubrick would do it right! :) Good to know then that my measurements weren't off. It can get stressful when that happens as I'm sure you know! Thanks for the info about the arms as well. Next I'm hoping to get them all rigged up with the legs and then I'll try to finish detailing out the cockpit, then onto the passenger area. The part I have been mulling about is how to weather the engine area in an efficient matter. I feel like polypainting in max or zbrush might be the best way to get exactly what I want. I'm only scared to have to flatten all those objects out into one UVW map. Maybe I will have to do a couple. One for large structures and one for smaller details like the piping.
    Some lighting tests with the cabin. I placed the lights where they are in the set and I am pretty happy. Might dial them down a little bit more. Everything has a white material on it for now. Still some cabin details to do as well.

lighting1.jpg
    lighting2.jpg
    Was able to spend some good time yesterday working on the cabin. I'm thinking it's pretty much done except for some texture work on the command panels and some refining of materials here and there. It turned out pretty good I think! My thinking is that this will mostly be used from the outside looking in, but you never know. Haven't decided yet if I'll make or find some people to throw in the seats. Would be fun to have the stewardess with her egg-head hat on sitting in the back! Enjoy!

cockpit_01.jpg
    cockpit_02.jpg
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    nice sir!
    Here's a test render of the passenger interior! I forgot to include some maps, so yes I DO have the complete zero gravity toilet instructions on the door! ;) Still have to throw some chairs in there and tweak some material settings, but much better than the last version i think!

interior_test1.jpg
    Here's a wireframe of the same interior, I thought it looked kinda neat:

interior_wire.jpg
    Been really busy lately but after these next two weeks I should have more time to get work on this. I have some low poly geometry setup for the chairs, they just need some more edge loops to get them working right. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it for the next couple of weeks.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Well, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in a couple of weeks then :)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    I loved this ship in the film, it's really cool, and I am loving what you are doing so far! Keep up the good work.
    More to come soon. I've been out of the country and really busy with work. I have a lot more free time next week during the nights and mornings so I am hoping to get this guy pretty much finished up. I've added the tv consoles and updated chairs to the interior. Had to squish the cockpit down some which made me sad. It just doesn't all fit inside! Hope to post some images in the next couple of days.
    tobian wrote: »
    I loved this ship in the film, it's really cool, and I am loving what you are doing so far! Keep up the good work.

tobian, just wanted to say great work on your station, very inspiring to say the least!
    A nice beauty render of the outside...

aries_side2.jpg

Interior render to come tomorrow, rendering on another machine!
    I think everything is done except for some dirt on the outside. Looks like I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary for this project. Good time to wrap it up! :)
    And here's the interior as promised:

interior.jpg
    Just a little fun..

poster1%20copy.jpg
    { sourly } Nice render, but with the current state of NASA, the title should have read "2001: You Are Ten Years Overdue"
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's an awesome model, nice work. :thumb:

I really like those renders, especially the poster.
    Been having a lot of computer problems and file corruption problems lately, but I think I'm back up and running now. I've also been doing some moon background tests inside of Max to place the Aries in. Hoping to start posting more final images soon.
    Here's a few more renders of the aries so you can see textures and details. It's been a few weeks since I rendered these so not all the "dirt" may be up to date, but I'm liking it.

aries_combined1.jpg

After a lot of thinking I've decided to make the landing pad in 2001 which isn't too terribly hard, and make a little moon environment for this all to sit in. I might do a few renders of the Aries fly near the moon, but I thought it would be more fun to place it in an environment as well. We'll see how it all develops. Here is a work in progress screenshot of the moon base I started on saturday. I got to work on it for a couple hours.

landingpad_screenshot1.jpg
    Those are stunning renders, you will please pardon me as I pick my jaw up off the floor.
    Obligatory "flying toward moon" Aries render...

aries_travel.jpg
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    That reminds me, I really must watch 2001 again, its been at least a year, maybe more. One or two things aside, to me it's such a timeless movie.

I think Mr Kubrick would be proud and pleased that people are still exploring the designs that were produced for his film, and reproducing them so well, very nice model & texture work, the renders are great and that last one really captures the style of the effects.
    Thanks Coolhand. One day when I finally get a bluray player I really want to watch it again. The BluRay release looks amazing. There is still so much detail, especially in the moon base shots from the screenshots I've seen, its' amazing to behold. Better than CG and still so futuristic looking!
  • cljohnston108cljohnston1080 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    That reminds me, I really must watch 2001 again, its been at least a year, maybe more. One or two things aside, to me it's such a timeless movie.

I think Mr Kubrick would be proud and pleased that people are still exploring the designs that were produced for his film, and reproducing them so well, very nice model & texture work, the renders are great and that last one really captures the style of the effects.

Yeah, I just watched the BluRay and I felt just like I did when I first saw the film at the Cinerama Dome in '78, i.e. my jaw hung open most of the time.
    Every time I watch it, though, I sit through the overture, the intermission, and I don't shut it off until the Blue Danube runs its full course several minutes after "The End" fades out.

My only gripe now is all the fingerprints on Floyd's faceplate as he fondles the Monolith. :rolleyes: Seriously, though, when I look at the Goofs section on IMDb, most are just so anal, but one really sticks in my craw:
    Revealing mistakes: As the moon shuttle lands it kicks up swirling clouds of dust. In the vacuum of space the dust would shoot out straight, as with the real-life Apollo Lunar Modules.
    First time that rocket exhaust in vacuum isn't simulated with a road flare or sparkler, but invisible (Just like the Apollo Ascent Stage!), and Kubrick & Trumbull get nailed for the shape of the dust cloud? They went SO FAR to achieve realism (much of which has yet to be matched), but the nitpickers just have to go that much farther.
    After a bit of a break I have gone back into this project and improved a few areas. I've added chamfering and bevels to some of hte paneling that had been lacking and been trying to optimize my model more. It was over 5 million polygons! I think a lot of that is the smoothing in the interior so I am working to reduce that number by just using chamfers. Hope to get more done this weekend and next week, but it's been crazy at work lately.

Been experimenting a lot with the creating of dirt and grime on the engine pods and wasn't getting much I liked. My main goals were not to spend a ton of time unwrapping objects and to have it be a versatile solution. Of course I was first led to using AO with a dirt map in the spread slot, and that was ok but not really satisfactory. I then stumbled upon a awesome shader plugin for max called RichDirt. Which lets me do things like streaks of dirt and Inner Occlusion. I've had some very successful tests with it so far. Right now this render has one material on all the objects, the real thing will have a few. I think that coupled with some painted dirt on a few areas and this will look great!
    dirt2.jpg
    whoa! That's a nice shader!
    As I suspected, I'll have to bake the RichDirt shader out and use it for a texture map since when things are animated the direction of dirt can change based on the orientation of the model. that will be a little bit of a pain for the engines, but most everything else is unwrapped already so it shouldn't be too big of a deal, and it will be a little bit more customizable in the long run. Ugh, texturing! ;)
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking gooder and gooder :p
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I agree. I would almost say its the gooderest I've seen.
    Been really busy lately, but a flyby animation is coming soon!