Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHARRYHAUSEN Tribute

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. Ray Harrryhausen is a continuing inspiration to me. His work on Medusa in Clash of the Titans was amazing, and peopled my nightmares for years. I can't wait to see what you do with Medusa. The animation of the snakes... shudder!
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Ahah! Arguably Medusa is his best creation. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Titans is my favourite movie of his. So many great creatures and scenes.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, ... I'm looking forward to seeing how close I can get Ray's Medusa .... plus doing some animation for her ...

I haven't posted any updates for a while, (sorry) ...

Was having a Harryhausen movie night the other day, .. and got me fired up to start building the environment for the Cyclops ...

As with all the Harryhausen characters that I'll be doing, ... they start with a set piece .... The pic below shows what will be the famous scene from The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, .... Will also be getting back to Medusa's Lair .... along with creating a couple of scenes for TALOS on the Isle of Bronze, ....

The Stone Face was modeled as one piece, .. , then exported to ZBrush to create the surface detail, ... the diffuse map still needs work, and will get back to that as the scene starts coming together ....

Jas

cyclopsenvirowip001.th.jpg Link To Full Size Pic
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad is one of my fav Harryhausen movies ... looks great!
    Been a while since I've seen the Sinbad movies. Is that the one with the sabertooth?
    @ ChrisGFX:

Cheers Chris !, ... If 7th Voyage is one of your favs, .. you should be a good critic for the final scene ;) ...

@ DCB:

You're thinking of 'Eye of the Tiger' ... MINATON is from that Movie, Which is one of the 6 Characters I plan to do, .. but for now I'm focused on TALOS, MEDUSA & CYCLOPS ....

Jas
    Environment being built for the Cyclops, who will appear in the completed version of the scene later. The Stone Face & Rock Mouth were exported from 3D Studio Max into VUE, where the rest of the environment is currently being created .... This render basically shows the scene being developed ...

I was geeking out a bit listening to the 7th Voyage soundtrack while working on the scene :) ...

Jas

*EDIT* Pic Updated - Post #72
    nice progress! the trees and rocks are Vue? man I need to learn that app :) must be cool
    Thanks Chris ! ... I updated the pic with a slight adjustment, .. I moved the Stone Face out from the Rock a tad more, since it was embedded a bit far in, ....

Yeah, all the plants are done in VUE, .. The Rock & Stone Face were built in MAX, then exported to VUE .... The beauty about VUE Trees & plants is that they are dynamic, in the sense that they are not like a normal mesh ... i.e each time you add another plant of the same species to the scene it will be different in its appearance (like in real nature no two are the same) ... also you have full control on the plants from the colour / shape of the leaves, to the way the branches / trunk look, i.e size, length, thickness, ... All you do is use adjustment sliders to modify a selected plant until you like the look of it ...

Also VUE plants are animation ready, ... So if I were to do an animation later, adding a slight breeze, ... the leaves & branches would simulate that, ... or have a strong wind, .. the plants / Trees would react by swaying more heavily ect, ..... But VUE has a dark side, ... Think of it as a Vampire, and your RAM is Blood .... So if you're a bit reckless, it can suck the life out of your system resources, and render times can take an eternity ...

Jas
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    WOW, great thread. I love Harryhausen special effects, I have most of his movies. :D I love the stuff you're doing. That Talos statue looks fantastic. Great work on everything else also. I shall now be watching this thread for more great Harryhausen-esque goodness. :D
    Thanks mate ! ...

Did some Color Correction to the scene, .. which is now more like the movie .... I'm going to be doing some CC to the final renders / animation, so thought I'd experiment with the tones using this WIP scene ...

Jas

cyclopsenvirowip002.th.jpg Link To Full Size Pic
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Boooo were are the final images of Talos?...................
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Perfect as usual, Jas.:)
    This is one of the few Harryhausen films I haven't seen (yet) but that's a great looking recreation based off of the pics. :D
    Cheers Guys !

@ EBOLII:

I have been working on Talos, and hopefully have an update on him soon showing the completed sculpt ... I've been moving between my 40K stuff and Harryhausen work, ... so just bare with me, ....

The next stage after showing the completed Talos, is working on final renders & environment for him, .. as I plan on a few scenes, two of them capturing iconic moments from the movie, .... with him on his Plinth, ... another with him standing at the Isle of Bronze harbour entrance, cutting off the Argo's only escape route ...

So for that scene, I will also be building the Argo, which will be a detailed replica of the ship, since I want to keep my options open for animation later (close-ups etc), as the Argo will be used for another scene later down the track ....

@ Road Warrior:

Thanks Travis, .. Though quite a bit will be done before it gets even close to that description .. but hopefully I will get it pretty close for the final scene ... Things being done are replacing the rock mouth with a more accurate version, as well as the landscape, .. and organising the plants, so they're situated closely to how they appear in the movie, .... That first Cyclops environment render was just showing the scene taking shape .... but will look far better for the next update on that ....

@ evil_genius_180:
    This is one of the few Harryhausen films I haven't seen (yet) but that's a great looking recreation based off of the pics. :D

Unforgivable .... Your fate has been decided by Zeus himself ... You will be taken and chained to the Harryhausen sacrificial rock, .. where you may repent your sin .... RELEASE THE KRAKEN !! ....

Updates coming soon ! ...

Jas
    Binkerman wrote: »
    the Argo will be used for another scene later down the track ....
    That wouldn't happening to involve a clay statue and some falling rocks perchance?
    Yep, .. The Clashing Rocks sequence with the Sea-God Triton ... That scene will look pretty dynamic when I get to working on that ....

Jas
    Unforgivable .... Your fate has been decided by Zeus himself ... You will be taken and chained to the Harryhausen sacrificial rock, .. where you may repent your sin .... RELEASE THE KRAKEN !! ....

Hey, I have that movie. :p I don't know why I haven't seen Sinbad, I really need to put it in my Netflix queue.
    The Clashing Rocks sequence with the Sea-God Triton
    I sincerely hope that you are going to stay true to the spirit of the original and greenscreen yourself into the scene as Triton.
    Update on TALOS ! (pic below) ....
    I don't know why I haven't seen Sinbad, I really need to put it in my Netflix queue.

Too late, ... You're chained to the rock with the Kraken on its way, .... Though I could have a word with Zeus, ... maybe he'll just force you to live as an outcast in the swamps ....but on the bright side you get to see Ray's Sinbad movies, and have Calibos as your neighbour !! ...
    DCB wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that you are going to stay true to the spirit of the original and greenscreen yourself into the scene as Triton.

Yep, ....... Will be shooting that entire sequence in the bath .... I've already done a test run with a shampoo bottle doubling as the Argo, .. and have two sacks filled with stones suspended above the bath, connected to quick-release strings that I pull to dump the stones into the water !!, ...

Though the practice run for that I unfortunately required some medical attention after being pelted with a 100 Ibs worth of stones .... damn near killed me, ... So for the actual shot I was taking no chances, ... and I don't care if Triton's not supposed to wear a Hard Hat, .. safety comes first damn it .... At the end of day.. It turned out pretty good !! ....

I know, I know ... It's a bit extravagant, .. but It's an open cheque book as far as my production costs go ...

Jas

*EDIT* Updated TALOS Pics - Post #90
    WOW ... great work!
    Too late, ... You're chained to the rock with the Kraken on its way, .... Though I could have a word with Zeus, ... maybe he'll just force you to live as an outcast in the swamps ....but on the bright side you get to see Ray's Sinbad movies, and have Calibos as your neighbour !! ...

I can live with that. Of course, it's not like we'll be in that swamp forever. Calibos is good but he's cocky and he let Perseus cut off his hand. However, with my help, we'll defeat Perseus this time and take over Argo City, so no more swamp living for us. :devil:

The Talos statue looks great, awesome work. Don't kill yourself doing effects, though. Remember, safety first.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Aw I see stuff like this and realise I need to make some time for 3D, that is some really nice work mate!

I just booted up max to play (as little Joe was asleep) and it must be like a siren or something to my 15 month old son as he woke up and came running over wanting to be picked up lol... Little bugger...

Maybe when both of my sons are 18 I will get a chance to play in 3D land again, so I will see you guys then ;)
    You need to start training them as biological render farms and put them to work.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Excellent work Jas!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    haha I never thought of that, hmmmm now how do I network them to my machine...
    Cheers Guys !:thumb: Updated Talos WIP 009 (pic below) .... Getting closer to final sculpt ...
    I can live with that. Of course, it's not like we'll be in that swamp forever. Calibos is good but he's cocky and he let Perseus cut off his hand. However, with my help, we'll defeat Perseus this time and take over Argo City, so no more swamp living for us. :devil:

You'll stay in the swamp and LIKE IT ....
    Wiz wrote: »
    I just booted up max to play (as little Joe was asleep) and it must be like a siren or something to my 15 month old son as he woke up and came running over wanting to be picked up lol... Little bugger...

Maybe when both of my sons are 18 I will get a chance to play in 3D land again, so I will see you guys then ;)

Lay down some ground rules damn it ..... PC Activated .... means >> TODDLER EXCLUSION ZONE ENFORCED << .... They have 20 seconds to comply ....

Jas

*EDIT* Updated TALOS Pics - Post #90
    That Talos statue is looking awesome. :thumb: I can't wait to see it animated. :D
    Hi Guys

It's been a while .... but some new pics showing the completed Talos posed on his plinth .... There will be more of Talos later, with a couple of different standing poses .... These will lead up to full scenes capturing some iconic moments from the movie ....

@evil_genius_180:

Cheers mate !

Jas

All pics below are 1280 x 768 res

cztil3.jpg 1. Full Size Pic

nJ13iy.jpg 2. Full Size Pic

UklYJU.jpg 3. Full Size Pic

tDKwlS.jpg 4. Full Size Pic

EUFDfD.jpg 7. Full Size Pic
    It's nice to see more work done on this. :D Talos is looking fantastic. I love the details, it looks like you got them spot-on.