Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLibelula from "Once upon a time The Space"

vicvipervicviper0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I am finally on holidays and I've been able to do some progress on one of my meshes... here's an update of the "Libelula" from the 80's anime series "Once upon a time the Space" also known as "Il etait une fois l'Espace"

The mesh is quite low on polys, with most detailing done by textures.

Next will be the landing gears and finishing the bridge (the ship might seem small but it's actually quite large, there isn't any official schematics arround, but I put it in the +50 meter)

I beleave the original design comes from Manchu, a french SciFi artist, but with these french-japanese productions, you can never be 100% sure.

Hope you like it!
90770.jpg
90771.jpg
90772.jpg
90773.jpg
Post edited by vicviper on

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    cool ship
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I'm partial to imposing slab like designs with character.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow - Great piece of work there, vicviper! :) Love the dirty/toon look. Very nicely done.

It reminds me of the sort of vehicle you'd see in a real time strategy game like Supreme Commander or C&C. :cool:
  • vicvipervicviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Comco wrote: »
    Wow - Great piece of work there, vicviper! :) Love the dirty/toon look. Very nicely done.

It reminds me of the sort of vehicle you'd see in a real time strategy game like Supreme Commander or C&C. :cool:

It's a long range exploration ship from an 80's cartoon (altough I am trying to kill the toon look a bit)

Here's an episode where you can see it from many angles:
    vicviper wrote: »
    ...altough I am trying to kill the toon look a bit...

Don't kill it too much. It's what makes it look so unique! :)
    Don't kill it too much. It's what makes it look so unique! :)

What about like this?

The way I am doing the textures lead too often to that cartoonish look, which is not really intentional, in fact, the toon look is part of the texture layer that's used for the bump mapping

Here's how it looks with bump mapping
    90846.jpg90847.jpg90848.jpg
    The bump mapping looks a little strong at the moment, but it really depends. If you're going to animate it or render from further away you can get away with it. If you're going to be doing renders up as close as those ones, I'd suggest toning it down a little. Still...Looks great. :cool:
    The bump mapping looks a little strong at the moment, but it really depends. If you're going to animate it or render from further away you can get away with it. If you're going to be doing renders up as close as those ones, I'd suggest toning it down a little. Still...Looks great. :cool:

I could try to make it look nicer for close ups, but it's definitely not built for that, but more for realtime rendering; after all, the mesh is less than 4000 triangles and it's not even optimized... so with that amount of triangles, no matter what I do, from close range it will look like crap
    I tried to tone down a bit the bump mapping, it's almost unnoticeable, but it's there.

Also I toned down the big decal on top of the ship, it was too dark and didn't allow some details to be seen
    90850.jpg90851.jpg
    vicviper wrote: »
    I tried to tone down a bit the bump mapping, it's almost unnoticeable, but it's there.

Also I toned down the big decal on top of the ship, it was too dark and didn't allow some details to be seen

Improvements on all fronts. Looking better with every render, vic. :)
    I deleted by mistake some of the latest progress, so I had to redo some textures, also, my holidays are nearly gone, so this is the final result for now...

Thanks all for the comments!
    90967.jpg90968.jpg
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    thats great work man. :thumb:

i loved that show when i was a kid.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Ahhh, I loved that show so much.... :)

Nice work.