Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Looking for Blender compatible Romulan ships and others...

andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2011 in Looking for... #1
Well, I'm nearing animation-ready on the Defiant, and I'm mulling ideas for the trailer I'm making, and one of the concepts is a shot of her facing the Romulan Fleet. The main trouble is the apparent lack of any Romulan ships that can load in Blender.

I may be able to model some quick 'cannon fodder' ships for the background, but I'll need a few big guns that look good on camera. Trek Blender has a category dedicated to Romulans...but they're all actually Klingon ships. Oy. I also googled around and tried converting a few that were in 3DS and OBJ...but they don't convert well, it would be the same kind of endless task that Defiant is. (DS9 was the same way, some of the UV maps came over right, while others are completely messed up.)

Blender native files would be best, but if anyone has something that seems to convert well, that would be great too. If you modeled it, you'll get credit, and anyone who points out something they didn't model will get a 'special thanks' in the credits as well.
Post edited by andar_b on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    In which era is your animation? I've seen a few in Lightwave format, those usually import pretty well into Blender. Most of the ones I've found are in either Max or Lightwave format.
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know why but I haven't yet been able to get a decent Lightwave import, but I haven't tried a lot of models. Maybe they'd work better with procedurals or something, but UV maps have been a real bane in this project. :s

Post DS9 era, and in the prime timeline as far as I know. Basically, the show is set after DS9 and the TNG movies, and the Defiant has its own full-time captain and crew rather than being stationed for DS9's defense. Even so, I wouldn't doubt the Romulans would have some older ships present.

If I can't dig up at least a few, I'll have to skip that part for now. Thanks :)