Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D(WIP) Warhammer 40k Rhino Transport

WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hi, being new here i thought i would jump straight in and post my current project,

im currenly only a hobbist, but been playing with various software over the years, from lightwave on the amiga, & Truespace, but have have recently settled on 3ds max for the last few years.. and done some tardis builds over at the doctor who tardis builders forum, as well as some architectural designs for houses .. my current project is a 40k space marine Rhino.. still in the early stages of blocking some bits out with tempory shapes ect to get the scale and layout right ect.. but these are some WIP Clay renders and a wireframe one too :)

5892804253_774348aeb6_z.jpg

5892861103_592c8bbd9f_z.jpg

5899265655_c0fef380fb_z.jpg

will get some more wire ones done after some more bits are added..

anyway comments discussions and crits always welcomed :)
90642.jpg
Post edited by WolfieD on

• FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    not hip on warhammer, but that's a very good looking vehicle you've made.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Off to a good start there. It looks like there are a bunch of shading errors in that last pic though. Your mesh looks very clean - are you hiding triangulation with ngons?
  • WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
    DCB wrote: »
    Off to a good start there. It looks like there are a bunch of shading errors in that last pic though. Your mesh looks very clean - are you hiding triangulation with ngons?

not that im aware but im not sure i would know if i was lol im still very new to modeling high res stuff , though i have noticed that sometimes when an objected is unselected that more lines appear than if i was to select a part and i dont know why .. i did clean up the surface lines a lot due to mistakes so once a part was right i would remove surplus lines ect.. could this have cause it?

5899403755_77e9805f84_z.jpg 5899404161_a8383cc4ef_z.jpg
    I'm not overly familiar with Max, so I'm not sure what it was you did to "clean", but you can clearly see the actual mesh on the left and the masking of that with ngons on the right. There is definitely some cleaning up that needs to be done to get a nicer poly flow and eliminate the shading errors. Have a look at Binkerman's Land Raider (and other 40K vehicles) wires to see the sort of thing you should be aiming for. I'm terrible at it myself, so use mine as example of what not to do.
    LOL will defiantly check out both yours and binkermans work as im always looking for inspiration and guidance to see the best way to achieve the results i want..

ive actually isolated the *centre section* and found a few verts that were not welded, ect so im gonna clean those up realign ect and see if anything clears up after you pointed out the shading issues, i started to notice them all over, i think cause the first few renders i did had gamma controls on the brightness hid them and when i turned it off to gain a bit darker contrast they show up lol :)
    had a look through both DCB and Binkermans 40k models DAM im in awe seriously the amount of detail astounds me..

i hope that mine will look even half as good :)

heres alil update, nothing flash just been in and did remodeling on the sides and the center section or remove unwanted lines, verts and polys and replace hidden bits, that was causing some bad shading i think i got 80% done, and will do some more tomorow

5900272277_264236c516_z.jpg
    yet another update lol the inside is starting to take shape, just some detailing to the console and the storage (i assume they are) boxes at the back and the pipe on the wall needs to be remodelled more accurately. i have done some refining to the center external section and the turret hatch stack has been remodelled to a more accurate shape.

5914295236_3bf43b1a3a_z.jpg
    need some crits advice and general knowledge :) please

i have refined the tank tread for one side for comparison, (also detailed the treadplate (a lil too much isolating objects not good forget the size of things and end up putting way to much detail into things that noone will ever see that closely)

anyway i digress,

after 2 days playing with massfx since they removed reactor from 2012 i just cloned the plate and path deformed it, i know i have too may plates as seen that the bottom where it overlaps but i feel its lost its tank edge to it since its more curved, what do people think?
    should i just go back to a more simpler less curved path around the wheels? im gonna go back and remodel the plates and make them less detailed as my pc chokes up to a crawl with around 85 on one side as i have now..

also has anyone had any success making tank tracks with massfx rather than reactor, i really want to rigg the tracks to move when you move the model ect i can do a long line of hinges but dunno how to close the loop and wrap them around the wheels, ive seen tuts on doing it with reactor but get a bit lost lol sorry for the long ramble of insainity :)

5938794323_687ced5325_z.jpg 5939347362_efe39b8041_z.jpg
    5939347586_183a4188fe_z.jpg
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Hi WolfieD

Why does everybody seem to pick the Rhino as there entry into Warhammer 40K modelling (me included)?

I think it must look easier than it is......:lol:

Good start here WolfieD. :thumb:

Seen a couple of little deviations from the STC, but given that your still blocking out, we'll let those slip...;)

I agree about the tracks, definitely looks too rounded...
    Can't really help sorting it out I'm afraid, Maya user (haven't used Max properly for years....)
    Luckily there's a nice plugin for Maya to do tracks, should make it much easier (if I can every get round to finishing my Rhino off:argh:)

Good Luck

Keep up the good work
    We're watching.....:devil:
    hehe thanks :) im working from reference pics from the net as my army is back in the uk, though i have found a store in town that is suposed to stock gw stuff so i might go and see if they got a rhino at the weekend if the missus will drive me lol,

i actually was going to do a dreadnaught then saw a pic of a rhino and went ooooooo id forgot about you.. and my history of Tardis builds i thought well its again parallell lines with some new bits so figured hey learning curve step up right ? lol

my main prob is i want to add so much detail that isnt worth it, and end up choking the pc lol

i love the texturing on your razorback :) though looking at your bloodangles rhino, i can see the few deviations your talking about with mine, DANG it lol back to the drawing board lol hahah j/k
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    UK-Blade wrote: »
    Why does everybody seem to pick the Rhino as there entry into Warhammer 40K modelling (me included)?

I think it must look easier than it is......:lol:

Mine was the Dreadnought, I think. Still never did a Rhino. BUT, it is the basis for many other Space Marine tanks, so once you've done the Rhino you can do the Razorback, Predator, Damocles, Whirlwind, Immolator, Exorcist, Repressor and of course all their variants, chaos tainted versions, Ork looted versions and all the chapter specific sprues. It's a tremendously flexible piece of tank if you want to build your own CG armour unit.
    A similar thing goes for the Chimera (which you don't see much of in 3D work) and Leman Russ chassis. It just so happens that GW's sound business strategy of minimising costs and maximising profits by reusing as many of the same components as possible in different model kits ties in very nicely with the fluff notion of STCs and armed forces maximising production capability.

Concerning the two different approaches to the tracks, I prefer the rounded one myself - looks more realistic. The other one is probably more representative of the miniatures though, if that is what you are going after. Personally, I was never big on slavish 1:1 replication for my own 40K dabblings, just something that was reasonably representative.
    It just so happens that GW's sound business strategy of minimising costs and maximising profits by reusing as many of the same components as possible...

Shhhh, we don't talk about that!
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    lol, GW hit squads are twitching their eyes. ;)

But good build man, looks great. Personally I agree with DCB's philosophy. GW models are somewhat *cough* skewed in proportions due to the scale. I feel it always looks better if you take the leeway in design to make it more real-like and functional. It will look better in the end.
    unless you set out to build a replica of the mini of course...
    lol, GW hit squads are twitching their eyes. ;)

But good build man, looks great. Personally I agree with DCB's philosophy. GW models are somewhat *cough* skewed in proportions due to the scale. I feel it always looks better if you take the leeway in design to make it more real-like and functional. It will look better in the end.
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, wolfie! Nice to see another Rhino build in progress! Mine sort of stalled out when I got to the UV / Texturing part, but I hope to get back to it someday soon... Modo now has some nice painting tools, so I'm hoping to use those when I find the time to learn them, LoL... keep up the great work! :)
    hey all thanks for the support, i think my aim was to make it look like it was *inuse* cause as with all miniature models details are usually the first thing to be omitted from the build or replaces with just geometric representational shaps so trying to figure out what might be what is a job in its self lol, but from the documents i found on a wiki file about the rhino using the dimensions the model is slightly off scale anyway and then add the skew of reference images ect but ill be happy if is as close as i can get and you look and go yes thats a rhino ... without going well this looks too small or to big ect
    as to the roundedness of the tracks i prefer a more angular version i think, but maybe not as much as teh model version still need to remodel the tread to a less intense version lol

ill be interested to see how you get on with texturing your rhino alpha - im really not looking forward to texturing any model i do, i mostly just use mental ray or previously vray textures applied to an object, but my *mapping* has been limited to reaplying poser textures to models ie SKIN as an SSS material..
    A Rhino shouldn't be too hard to map and texture - it's a nice big lump of square blocks.
    Meph wrote: »

Actually, this is something I've been wanting to try for some time, with brush-strokes, highlighting and everything. But unfortunately it would all be in the texturing - something that I'm heavily allergic to. And of course, if we take *ahem* some people's painting standards we may as well just skip it and go straight for realistic.
    lol, yeah, you'd have to paint the texture oldskool, or have wicked Photoshop skills...

Would look wicked though... a realistic full size marine holding a little painted marine...
    now that would be something, or even 2 marines around around a table top playing 40k or spacehulk lol
    121289_md-Humor,%20Painting,%20Space%20Marines,%20Ultramarines.jpg
    Oh! Touche my friend, touche. :D
    small update, done a rough interior door and have remodeled the central section still need to cut a new back door into the structure finalise where the interior doors are going to sit and slide in and out of..

5969436426_2d7b5d4b54_z.jpg

5968878251_cd9ff7425c_z.jpg

hope to get this finialised over the coming weeks.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    WolfieD,

Your mesh looks good. I don't know anything about the subject matter but I do have a question for you about your vehicle. There appears to be barely enough room for the road wheels under the hatch. There is no room for them to actually do their job (moving up and down to absorb uneven terrain bumps - shock absorber). There also doesn't seem to be any room for the track to go over the road wheels if you think about how thick the metal plates that make up the vehicle have to be, even if it were only and inch thick. If the track is routed up and over the hatch there is also no room for them there due to the thickness the metal plating would have to have. So how does it work?
    to be honest with you i have no idea, lol its based from a 35mm scale model (Which as im sure you can gather the models scale and proportions are not realistic) the parts on there for the track and wheels are really just place holder models as i really want them to be reactional to the surface (when i can figure out massfx to complete a track around the wheels)

bits%20CSM%20R2-2.jpg

as you can see the actual model there is very little room for the wheels to adapt to the terrain..
    but i will put some more thought into how they will move under there, :) thanks for raising such an important issue :)
    cavebear wrote: »
    So how does it work?
    This is 40K. Best you don't ask questions about such things, lest your musings tear open a hole in the fabric of space into the Warp and allow through a swarm of cackling daemons that will devour your body and imprison your soul for all eternity.
    cavebear wrote: »
    So how does it work?

Very nicely, thank you!
    This is 40K. Best you don't ask questions about such things, lest your musings tear open a hole in the fabric of space into the Warp and allow through a swarm of cackling daemons that will devour your body and imprison your soul for all eternity.

Darn, too late. I'm already married...
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Very nicely, thank you!

:lol: