Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DZohrath's Wing Commander Fleet

2»

• FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great, always and still am a fan of the wingcommander games
  • ZohrathZohrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Centaurian mud pig WIP. (WC fans should get it.)
    90415.jpg
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    The basic design of your fighter is good, but the length of the cannons is simply to huge.
    With such cannons you will have to increase size.
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Looking great Zohrath! The Hornet is the perfect shape as seen in the games, and I love all your little details. Can't wait to get a better look at the Scimm.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    I took another look at those cannons on the Hornet and then at your reference blueprint, Zorath. I think what looks off to me is still the thickness of the cannons, but not overall...If you look at the blueprints, the shaft of the laser, just before it flares out into the "tip", is roughly half the width of the shaft at its widest point (near the wings). Yours would appear to be closer to 3-4 times wider back at the wings than it is at the tip.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll do some dodgy Photoshopping/MS Paint work to show what I mean. :)
    Progress so far
    90467.jpg
    Cockpit and some detailing left to do, then textures. Good lord this ship is ugly!
    90523.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    lots of cool stuff in this thread

I never played wing commander, even though it's one of those titles as familiar as tetris or pacman, should I get it if I see it in a sale?
    For sure. :) It's a fantastic series.

You can pick up WC: Privateer at GoG.com right now for about USD$5 - http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_privateer/
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Looking great man, keep up the awesome work! It's wonderful to see these classic ships back in their original forms and looking even better than the originals!
    Ok, it's finished, sort of. I haven't bothered making a proper cockpit, although there is room for it. I just don't see myself ever using this model, but I wanted to make it for completeness' sake. I took a few freedoms from the design for parts that looked terrible, like the giant blocks on top of the wings that connect the giant cylinder objects. Not sure what I'm gonna do now, maybe Confed capships or Kilrathi fighters. It'd be fun to do some Wing Commander Online designs as well. I'm also gonna go back and re-do the Raptor in greater detail. We'll see!
    90690.jpg90691.jpg
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    Gorgeous work on my favorite scifi franchise. Shame they haven't made a new game in the series forever now :(
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Gorgeous work on my favorite scifi franchise. Shame they haven't made a new game in the series forever now :(

Well the made that Wing Commander Arena thing not to long ago...

Not sure if it counts as WC game
    Going with a Jalthi next, it was always my favorite Kilrathi design in wc1.

Is there a moderator that can rename this thread to something like Zohrath's Wing Commander fleet?
    90778.JPG90779.JPG
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Very nice Jalthi Zohrath, just remember that when you get to the Gratha it is a freaking monster, practically corvette in size. And Klavs, come on man he's leaving you in the dust, let's see your take on the Kilrathi too, or some of those animations you teased us with...
    Thanks! One last update before bed.
    90791.jpg90792.jpg
    Really like the Jalthi, Zohrath. Looking like one tough little ship. :)

My only comment would be that, with the laser cannons projecting that far below the wings, it breaks up the sleak, aggressive shape of the ship, when viewed from the front or back, which is a shame. Your second render of the ship, sans lasers looks sleek and fast.

I'm sure you've been looking at the original source images - such as they are...I think the original had the lasers much closer to - or perhaps inside - the wings. Other than that - love it. :cool:
    Both reference sources, the manual and the in-game sprites have the guns exactly at that position, so I gotta keep them there. Besides, the ship wasn't really meant to look fast, but a slow giant with massive firepower, the characters in the game say as much too.

I've started messing around with the textures in the main hull parts, although it's looking a little plain without additional plates and stuff on the body, maybe I need to go back and do those. Only problem is there's no reference for those. Thoughts anyone?
    90837.jpg90838.jpg90839.jpg
    Fair enough then. :)

As for paneling - I'd suggest something along the lines of these concept art shots...
    90843.jpg90844.jpg90845.jpg
    Found some reference from the Wc1 manual! I've tweaked the textures a bit, added more detail to the mesh. Opinions?
    90976.jpg90977.jpg90978.jpg
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the orange wing texture, although the wear and chipped paint wouldn't be the same on both wings. I assume that was a time saving measure. The brown cloudy texture looks out of place, though. It looks procedural, more like dinosaur skin than a metal hull. Otherwise, I'm liking it. This wasn't one of my favorite ships, but it is well done.
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    that are great pictures of wing commander fighters.
    i love those ships:thumb:
    I've been working on a Dralthi lately, and as always working on new ways to texture stuff.
    92467.jpg
    Dralthi finished, Gratha next.
    92516.jpg92517.jpg92518.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Great work!
  • NinjaLANinjaLA0 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely fond of all your models.. Figured I'd poke in here a bit to pick on ya!

hopefully you'll keep interested in this! I'm always excited to see a new take on the old ships.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    The Dralthi has wonderful textures but the rear looks bulkier than I remember.