Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DYamato

x1xReaverx1xx1xReaverx1x0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hi showed pics of a project i started ages ago. The Starblazers battleship Yamato. Finally decided to finish the thing. So i made a video montage of renders and screens taken during its building process. I admit i am a modelling n00b but i thought i got a nicely proportioned ship considering no line drawings were backgrounded and it was all done by eye. The short animations seem to become jerky when added to movie maker. Ohh well, crap happens. Just something a bit different then the usual things to make.
Post edited by x1xReaverx1x on

• TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very cool. I loved this show. I hope the movie that was made in Japan makes it to the US somehow!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    If they had done it in English it would have been a blockbuster...
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    That's really well done. It might be just by eye, but clearly your eye is dead on.
    As for the Movie, the DVD is due out in Japan in a month or so, but so far there is no news I know of, of them doing a subbed version. How I do know there is a big push for them to do one, so it's likely.
  • x1xReaverx1xx1xReaverx1x0 Posts: 0Member
    The annoying part was that i took the detail from watching and pausing parts of the TV series. The details kept changing with each episode, especially the superstructure so i took the most consistant details and put them into the model as well as some details from pics that i found on the net. The superstructure was tweeked about 3 dozen times while building. The texture for the hull took a while to get how i liked it too. once again dozens of tweaks. Im happy with the result, though i still have some annoying smooth errors around the stern. does anyone have any good advice on how to reduce these easily. The few around the bow took ages to get rid of
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Wow, nice job! That was a great little video of the process and the theme song made it a lot of fun as well. Very nice modeling!
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    Loved it, but I don't understand the purpose of a bulbous bow in space.
    @ Randy. In the show they use the old hull of the Yamato to build a starship, which is used to try and save the earth from destruction. Hench she still looks like a naval ship. If you want google Space Battleship Yamato or Starblazers. Season 1 of SBY is still worth a watch. (Although I think the Starblazers (English version) isn't as good.)

@ x1xReaverx1x. I wonder is you got plans to the real Yamato, you could use them to get the base hull exactly right. Not that your model isn't already. :)
  • CanisDCanisD0 Posts: 0Member
    The problem is the Space Battleship has only a general resemblance to the real battleship, so using the real ship as the basis will not get you anywhere near the Space Battleship. The hull is very different, the main turrets are in different locations, etc...
    yamato_comparison.png
    Arrr, well yes that is a problem. My mistake. I hadn't checked before I posted, I had just assumed her basic hull shape was the same. And we all know what assuming does. :P
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job. I grew up watching Starblazer and of course the "Shave Lotion Gun" :cool:, . Google Wave Motion gun if you are confused.

So.....when is the first firing? :D
  • SovereignSovereign171 Posts: 0Member
    Whoa, I didn't know that there was more than one opening title-song...

Also, awesome model. :p
    When i built her, i couldn't use the Yamato hull form. Everything was positioned differently. The hull form of the starblazers ship is also completely different. when i started this i thought that it was going to be putting a big rocket on a ships hull but it wasnt at all like that. The person who designed the Starblazers ship had actually designed it like an old Flashgordon style spaceship with a superstructure stuck on it instead of a dorsal stabelizer. To put it simply, the starblazers versions hull is more like a football shape that starts about 70m after the bow, It bulges under the superstructure then culminates in a big engine. The bow is stuck onto the front of it, with the decks cutting into it and the superstructure sitting on a big bracket like piece that straddles it amidships. I got a new respect for the intricasies of the hull and for the person who designed the ship ( though i would have put turrets on the bottem too, space is a 360o enviroment as u all know;)). Anyhow, the hull is identical in length and width 268m x 36m as the Yamato battleships hull was. Unfortunatley, they were the only dimensions that the battleships hull could give me that i could use. The ret was gained by pausing episodes over an over to check the hull form and guess work.
    Well Ill say it again. you did a dame fine job.
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!
    Im going to attack the smooth errors and try to sort them out, then convert the mesh to .obj. Would there be anyone out there who would like this model for their collection, if so let me know and i will attempt to get it uploaded somewhere. Also hay do some animations of the shock turrets firing and a might attemt a wave motion gun shot.
    I wouldn't say no to a copy of her. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but I want it. :-)
  • GuyverixGuyverix0 Posts: 0Member
    I would like somewhere to download it from as well.

Thank you!

BTW, the new live action Yamato Movie DVD's are just arriving from Japan! No english subs yet though.