Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

• AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    ^ Yes, perhaps something like this? A section of floor could slide out and descend via some mechanism...
    88802.jpg
    BTW, here's another J2 flight deck display panel graphic.
    srspicerpauldlbflo
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Lookds good!
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    About the pod. That's it exactly. But the side of the plate would have an "arm" attached which allowed the lowering.

Also I really like the J2 screen graphic. It looks like real information being streamed, while retaining that right level of 60s Techobabble.
  • yiggyyiggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Avian wrote: »
    ^ Yes, perhaps something like this? A section of floor could slide out and descend via some mechanism...

What about just making the rear door/hatch a ramp? (it would have it's own retractable stabilizing foot built into the door. This would give your both a door and a ramp as opposed to two different systems..

-Y
    Here's the preliminary credit sequence for the show. We will be using the original 3rd season music by John Williams and the credits are meant to recall the original but updated. The middle "action" sequences may change and will be related to what is going on in each episode. And of course things will continue to get refined.

Because the cast is not yet completely signed, I've had to blank out their faces and names.
  • cuscutiscuscutis171 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome! It felt like the original, but updated.

One small thing - the different dissolve for each cast member just felt a little distracting.
    Thanks, cuscutis.
    Yes, I may change that. Perhaps just four variations would do, much like the original. One for the parents, one for Don & Judy, one for Penny & Will, and a unique one for Smith.
  • jdavidjdavid171 Posts: 0Member
    Please don't take the critics to heart. I think things are looking fantastic . Thanks for keeping the dream alive.
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    I got chills !!!!
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    . . . they're multiplyin'! And I'm looooosin' control!

Serious awesome, there. Hope to see this happening real soon . . .
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    You should so go for it!

I'm Gladly play the Doc! I love doing death seens and prattling on in ego-maniacal rants.
    Jaw droppingly good! What more can I say really.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I am duly impressed! The opening segment has a modern feel with just the right amount of 1960s kitsch. Very appealing, and I've alwayd liked the theme from the 3rd season best. It has a more thrilling and adventurous tone than the earlier version. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this series shapes up.
  • Ferret488Ferret4880 Posts: 0Member
    Back again... :)

Been busy re-doing the J2 for the web series and I couldn't post updates until the official reveal, which was yesterday. Here are the schematic plans for the upper and lower decks. Operative word is schematic. Things will change as the series approaches the start of filming!

I am SERIOUSLY considering building a house in South Florida based on the Jupiter 2 designs. Any ideas if anyone else has proposed this? I don't want to go forward if there are already existing plans somewhere.

Any comments?
    There have been several houses built like saucers, but they only bear a passing resemblance to the J2. (The mass-produced Futuro house comes to mind, as does the Chemosphere house in LA.) It would be quite cool to have a building with the exact J2 profile. It might be a bit dark with only 2 large windows though!

If you did build it to accommodate two levels it would be quite large - at least 70 feet across to get proper headroom.That would give you perhaps 6,000 square feet depending on the configuration of the levels. A single-level "house" at around the 50-foot mark would be a more manageable 2,000 square feet.
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    Leave it to me to be a late one around here, any more progress on this one still would like to see the full chariot
    I'm still workin' on the gal! I've been creating the filming sets for the Chariot Bay and the Pod Bay. (The Chariot Bay will likely not be seen in the show's first episode so it's not the priority right now though.)

In the Pod Bay, the left wall is the reverse side of one of the Freezing Tube walls. The door connects to an airlock which further connects to the Lab and the Central space.

The Pod will sit on the turntable that is inset in the floor. It is shown in the launch configuration. The turntable can slide 48" to the right when the Pod is stowed. I'll probably upload either a short movie or a series of stills showing the sequence. In the center of the turntable is an inverted Magna-Lock system very similar to the one which secures the Robot in place. It would also act as a centering system for the Pod when it returns to the J2.
    89864.jpg
    pauldlbflo
    Cool Deal I know what it is like to have to prioritize time
    Well I like the moveable turntable idea, I doubt it would actuallt be to useful. It would add a complexity that would eventually become unrelieable and take up space that could be used for storage. I do however like the fact you moved the pod launching area to the top. It means the pod can be used well they are on a planet.

That 4 feet might better be used as the chariots bay so it can drive out a back door, when they dig the J2 in, or use the cargo elevator when on its landing gear. If you decide to redo the Robot I would suggest Aaron Beck as a starting point would make them much more universal

http://skul4aface.blogspot.com/
    I like the bay. I also like the areas marked on the floor for clearance, it's a nice detail. the look of the room feels about right as well. Very much the same level of details and tech stuff of the main flight deck area.
    Here's a test animation of the new Pod in its launch bay. I'm still playing with the room details. The intent is to have some sort of diagnostic station on the left walls, though having three here is overkill. Possibly some kind of hose attachments to the Pod's two roof tanks would be in order...
    srspicerpauldlbflo
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's a test animation of the new Pod in its launch bay. I'm still playing with the room details. The intent is to have some sort of diagnostic station on the left walls, though having three here is overkill. Possibly some kind of hose attachments to the Pod's two roof tanks would be in order...

I Like the turntable aspect, but the sliding floor seems to have no purpose other than a coolness factor, but I am liking what you're doing with this design.
  • noelnoel0 Posts: 0Member
    I love this new Pod Bay and take off simulation:D

However, how are you to resolve the Upper Unitectic Drive/Gravity Field Modulators placement in relation to Pod Bay as shown in your cross section looking starboard as seen on page 11 of this thread?

I think the upper drive may have to be placed closer/inward above the freezing tubes with a slight shift from the elevator/Stellar Observation Station, if the upper drive is to be "Continuous" all around. I don't know.:confused:
    noel wrote: »
    I love this new Pod Bay and take off simulation:D

However, how are you to resolve the Upper Unitectic Drive/Gravity Field Modulators placement in relation to Pod Bay as shown in your cross section looking starboard as seen on page 11 of this thread?

I think the upper drive may have to be placed closer/inward above the freezing tubes with a slight shift from the elevator/Stellar Observation Station, if the upper drive is to be "Continuous" all around. I don't know.:confused:

You are absolutely correct. I was planning on revising the section view, since the plan of the ship has changed as well. Good eye there!

@Falin - The sliding turntable is actually necessary. Because of the wider angle of the camera, the Pod Bay looks a bit bigger than it actually is. When stowed, the Pod is tucked close to the outboard wall, facing it. This allows easier access for the passenger(s) via the Pod doors. The Pod must then slide 4 feet inboard and do a 180 to fit through the J2's roof doors.

I experimented with rails and a just a shallow pit for the turntable but decided that a pair of floor panels slipping past one another would allow use of the bay regardless of the turntable's position.

Of course, I could have designed a slightly larger diameter J2 to eliminate the need to move the Pod, but then where's the challenge? :p
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm....well if it's a camera issue, i guess it's ok, but then it's what the Viewer sees, and unless you shoot from a different angle that clears it up, visually it seems not needed.
    If it's going to be used in the web series, it's likely to be shot several times at different points in the show.
    Great job Avian. I like the way everything slides into and out of place.
    Looking forward to seeing some of the series as well but I know it'll be a long wait for that. :-)
  • CaptainRoopCaptainRoop0 Posts: 0Member
    Been awhile since I posted on here, good to see this thread alive and well. Loved all that I saw so far, just been awesome. One slightly off track question from what has been posted here so far.

In the original series, for better part of the entire run of the show, we saw the ship and crew on some sort of planet verses seeing allot of space episodes. Is that going to continue in the web series, more planet episodes then space?

Would not have been so bad if they landed normally and within the same episode or maybe the next, they could take off easily again, but to be stuck crash landed on a planet for weeks became a bit much.

Don't take me wrong I loved the show and watched it faithfully all the time, just curious what your plans are this time around on that?
    Larry
    The orginial show though had a very low budget, the space scene and saucer flight scenes use to take allot of money to shoot.
    Granted this is a more CGI world then back then so it might be easier to do, but stringing up actors to fake weightlessness is still expensive.

I was just wondering why you only had a top hatch considering you went with a sliding section why not just have the outer wall slide out with the plateform and open a smaller section of the roof. it would have saved even more interior space that way and would have solved the pods exhaust well launching by letting it vent through a port on the bottom of the slide to vent outward.
    The orginial show though had a very low budget, the space scene and saucer flight scenes use to take allot of money to shoot.
    Granted this is a more CGI world then back then so it might be easier to do, but stringing up actors to fake weightlessness is still expensive.

I was just wondering why you only had a top hatch considering you went with a sliding section why not just have the outer wall slide out with the plateform and open a smaller section of the roof. it would have saved even more interior space that way and would have solved the pods exhaust well launching by letting it vent through a port on the bottom of the slide to vent outward.

My design intent was to not cut into the hull wherever it makes a bend. The idea is that there is a structural system that can't be violated. The perimeter of the saucer is off limits too. Presumably because the drive system uses the perimeter to help modulate the gravity field. I've envisioned the field as torus-shaped. Maybe silly, I know, but if you have a saucer shape, there must be a logical reason for it. Otherwise the ship could just as well be a box.

I am also assuming the Pod uses the same reactionless drive the main ship uses. Hence, there is no exhaust.
  • trekie015trekie0150 Posts: 0Member
    I LOVE THIS!!!!! Lost In Space LIVES!!!!!