Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-D USS Enterprise

• NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Always good to see this ship (my favourite).
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    I hope the cage is ok now - as IA’ve converted it to polys. Saucer seperation line is done (I have not modelled the inside - battle bridge and such - IA’ll do that when IA’ll need it) as well as impulse engines and some grills on the pylons.
    89821.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    your red line on the spine is broken!!!

Looking good sir!!
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Looking good.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Is the detail on the pylon really supposed to be that far from the hull?
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Is the detail on the pylon really supposed to be that far from the hull?

Here's a picture:
    gen0661.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Pixelmagic - The grill on the pylons is pretty prominent in the Christies pictures, but I flattened it a bit more.

Valk - that line is a raised panelline in the mid between the two red lines - and yes, it is not going through the whole neck.

Some more updates - photorp launchers are done, as well as window insets on the lower saucer - started with some of the windows as well...
    89832.jpg89833.jpg
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Whose quarters are at the front of the underside, with the four large windows? in front of the captains Yacht
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Whose quarters are at the front of the underside, with the four large windows? in front of the captains Yacht
    I always assumed those to be part of a waiting area, similar to the internal lounge on the Sovereign class.

BTW: Tobias, did you decide on what to do with those four massive windows on the underside of the saucer? They never explained on-screen what those are supposed to be. Some released material claims they're the deflector array during separated flight. But Andrew Probert originally envisioned that area to be a rather dark crew lounge, where people can meet up and enjoy the star-lit view.
    That golden rectangle there at the front of the bottom of the cobra head, is a transporter emitter (typ.).
    lennier1 wrote: »
    I always assumed those to be part of a waiting area, similar to the internal lounge on the Sovereign class.

BTW: Tobias, did you decide on what to do with those four massive windows on the underside of the saucer? They never explained on-screen what those are supposed to be. Some released material claims they're the deflector array during separated flight. But Andrew Probert originally envisioned that area to be a rather dark crew lounge, where people can meet up and enjoy the star-lit view.

Those 4 big square windows right there in front, behind the phaser array, according to the technical manual are part of the saucer deflector array.

Some more updates - photorp launchers are done, as well as window insets on the lower saucer - started with some of the windows as well...

Looking good.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    This is going to look so awesome.
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Those 4 big square windows right there in front, behind the phaser array, according to the technical manual are part of the saucer deflector array.
    Thanks, Captain Obvious!
    Thanks, Captain Obvious!

Well, were you referring to the windows right in front of the Captains Yacht, or the big square windows behind the phaser array?

I was assuming people were asking about the latter... since people were saying the four big/massive windows... so I assumed it was the square windows, and since you listed 2 possible uses, either:
    Some released material claims they're the deflector array during separated flight. But Andrew Probert originally envisioned that area to be a rather dark crew lounge, where people can meet up and enjoy the star-lit view.

I was just posting information that is given in the Technical Manual.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work tobias. Just one little nitpick: Your images all show pretty heavy jpeg artifacts :(
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Well, were you referring to the windows right in front of the Captains Yacht, or the big square windows behind the phaser array?

I was assuming people were asking about the latter... since people were saying the four big/massive windows... so I assumed it was the square windows, and since you listed 2 possible uses, either:

I was just posting information that is given in the Technical Manual.
    Yes, and the designer himself said something else in an interview. So, by repeating what's already been said in the post you quoted you're simply wastiing space on several levels, as if that would contribute anything.
    Yes, and the designer himself said something else in an interview. So, by repeating what's already been said in the post you quoted you're simply wastiing space on several levels, as if that would contribute anything.

He designed it... however, the Technical Manual is by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda... Michael is I believe one of the people behind all the inner workings, and systems, etc.

Anyway, back on subject, the model Tobias is creating...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Your speed and skill are bewildering... :o

What you do in one day I could probably... just never do, hah. My galaxy model turned into a piece of crap once i converted to polys and attempted to add detail :O Anyways, looks awesome man. Glad you are building this!

I just wish you'd get that god awful excuse of a galaxy class off the bottom left hand corner of your pics. From all what I've seen of that thing the geometry is all screwed up on it and it's details don't match at all the enterprise it was supposed to be replacing at all. :mad:
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Rick Sternbach is contributing to the ULTIMATE deck-by-deck physical model of the Ent-D right now. He's filling in details that no one's ever seen before or that was merely glossed over without much attention. The model kit is going to be for sale in Japan, but it's still unclear if it'll be released anywhere else. Rick mentioned it on his Facebook page this morning and posted a link. I've asked him if anyone here knows about it yet, to which he answered that he's been too busy with the project to know, so I told him to keep working and I'll take care of it. So... here's the link (in case none of you has seen it yet):

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=31147

If you're looking for good, accurate and reliable references you can hardly do better than that!
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Rick Sternbach is contributing to the ULTIMATE deck-by-deck physical model of the Ent-D right now. He's filling in details that no one's ever seen before or that was merely glossed over without much attention. The model kit is going to be for sale in Japan, but it's still unclear if it'll be released anywhere else. Rick mentioned it on his Facebook page this morning and posted a link. I've asked him if anyone here knows about it yet, to which he answered that he's been too busy with the project to know, so I told him to keep working and I'll take care of it. So... here's the link (in case none of you has seen it yet):

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=31147

If you're looking for good, accurate and reliable references you can hardly do better than that!

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:notworthy::notworthy:

I really hope that it is made available else where. :)
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    That kit looks awesome... very expensive.. but awesome
    Yes, that kit looks really nice - would be interesting to see how much itA’ll cost.

Back to the model - I worked on the panel lines and started with the windows on the top saucer. These are done - as am I. This is really some "fun". NOT! But hey, the result looks nice, so IA’ll go on...
    89877.jpg89878.jpg
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice is an understatement Tobias! :)
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Beautiful modeling on those windows! I don't envy you :) I'm amazed you can keep your mesh looking so nice. Lightwave (that's what you use right?)was always better with that than Max...
    Looking good, I always wonder how you keep the mesh geometry so pristine, even with all these extra modifications, from the original mesh.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This is gorgeous. I too stand in awe as to how you can keep your mesh so smooth when it has so many holes in it. I tried the tutorial on this website for 3ds Max, but I can't get it to work. Is this an easier thing with Maya?
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    This is gorgeous. I too stand in awe as to how you can keep your mesh so smooth when it has so many holes in it. I tried the tutorial on this website for 3ds Max, but I can't get it to work. Is this an easier thing with Maya?

I've used the method on the site and it works... however, when I have tried it on complex meshes with lots of polys I get lots of errors that crop up. Apparently Tobias must have a really nice mesh to begin with.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Beautiful modeling on those windows! I don't envy you :) I'm amazed you can keep your mesh looking so nice. Lightwave (that's what you use right?)was always better with that than Max...

He's not a Lightwaver.
    True, he's using Maya.
    Using that thing for modeling would be considered torture in some countries, but he seems to manage just fine.
    Thank you - I completed the saucer windows today and started with the neck windows...

And yes, all is done in Maya. I would consider it torture to do anything in Max - and IA’m not sure about Lightwave :lol: But letA’s not get into that :devil:

The windows are placed by hand and then booled in. After that, each window is checked for efficiency and cleaned - e.g. points and edges close together are merged. The mesh doesnA’t stay always smooth like that - thatA’s part of the cleaning process. It usually is more difficult in areas where the polys are big and wisted (like the neck section). Having the mesh in a rather high res helps a lot minimizing errors.
    Looking good.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro