Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Love the go-faster stripes. :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Heehehe, yeah, me too. Although they do appear to be of either-love-'m-or-hate-'m variety. :D
    The first tactical squad almost complete. I'd say it's at roughly 90% finished. I just need to apply some more decals but I'll have to make & print those first. I thought to cook up some righteous mumbo-jumbo for the on the larger pigments and I need some black blood drops for the right shoulder pad as I decided to make them from the 5th company. I'll freehand some stuff on the smaller purity seals and such. And they need some basing done as well.
    For the rest I think they turned out quite nicely. I didn't want to go too elaborate on them, both in terms of colours and painting technique. The idea is to have them at a decent table-top quality. The size of the pictures does tend to show the drybrushing a bit harsher than it actually is.
    Oh, and I think I'll use some black oil paint to outline the details and panels.

IMG_2576.JPG
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice pics Meph !! .... For post #31 .... looking at that Land Raider ... you need to drill out those Assault Cannon barrels ... ALL of them .. slacker :p ... and are those black spots on the other weapon barrels just markers for drilling ? ... Blood Angel paint jobs look slick Meph, great job ! ...

The Space Wolves vehicles don't appear to be at the same stage of painting as the Blood Angels, ... looks like you need to weather and age those a tad more .... and obviously will tone down that yellow ... great work so far mate ! :thumb: ...

Jas
    Heheh, cheers mate! :D

Well, the AC barrels have been stabbing my eyes out... :argh: I'd like to drill them but I don't want to risk damaging the rest of the gun as the barrels are a bit recessed behind the mechanism. Ah won't hurt to try I guess.. :shiner:
    The bolters on the other hand, are drilled out, although the holes do appear to be thinner than they look in LR.
    The Space Wolf stuff isn't mine actually, they're a mate's that rekindled the flame of mini painting at the same time as me and most of his mini's are at my place. Perfect way to spend a sunday afternoon, far away from professional life. :D

Here are some more pics of the winged sarges, requested on another forum.

IMG_2615.JPG

I'm still not sure about the colour for the robe, red's out of the question, cream I refuse to do.
    Best choice so far would be something stone/khaki like this.
    images-vendors-underwraps-28044P-Plus-Size-Brown-Monk-Robe-Costume-main.jpg

thoughts are always welcome. :D
    I made some progress on the sarge of the Dev squad, I went with a grey/khaki robe. I wanted to avoid the standard cream coloured ones. Whaddayathink?

I think it came out ok but somehow I'm contemplating to give it some washes and glazes to give more depth.

IMG_2617.JPG
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    how big are these guys?
    just a few inches - I mean centimeters- right? :p

my eyes would go buggy if I were to paint something so small
    nice work :thumb:
  • morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    like it mate

go on
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    backstept wrote: »
    how big are these guys?
    Your basic 40K scale Marine in power armour miniature is around 1.5"/38mm tall.
    Cheers guys! Ah, and a good pencil does wonders to paint something at this scale. ^^
    And in the mean time, I thought it was time to get ahead (badum-tsh!) and start painting the devastator heads. Right now they're looking a bit spacewolfish but I intend to give them quite a few glazes/washed with thinned blues & blacks to give them a good full dark blue tint. I want them really dark so the blue doesn't clash too hard with the red. (I still want to slap the guys who came up with the blue helmets in the first place)
    The guy with the masking tape collar is the unlucky fellow who got his head glued into place before I realised it had to be a Devastator. The tape will make my life a lot easier when applying the glazes and inks.

And as a last pic, meet the crew for the Land speeder Squadron that's in the pipeline. One Land Speeder is the first plastic type, sitting in a red base coat since a decade, and then I've got two of the latest kits; one already full magnetized for all weapon options and undercoated, and one is almost assembled but still needs to be magnetized.

IMG_2623.JPG
    With all those heads on spikes you'd think a Khorne army had just marched through!
    Judging by the 3rd pic, the armoury was running a bit low on standard issue helmets and pulled some stock from the drama club's prop store.
    ROFL! :D "Get off that stage and into that Rhino, Marine!"
  • morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    what kind of Paint do you use?

I do miniatures myself but I don't seem to have the right paint.

C ya
    Well, I use paint from Games Workshop and also from Vallejo. Both are easily available through the internet in case you don't feel like searching around too much. Ebay is a great source for modeling supplies, lots of good webshops.
    I always use thinner to thin my paint (20ml bottles from Vallejo), I thin 'm a little when painting with the brush, I thin 'm more when using the spray gun or airbrush. Inks I thin with water, as thinner tends to matte down the transparency of the inks.
    Only for drybrushing I use un-thinned paint, I even let the paint dry just sit a little bit before dipping in the brush, and I always make sure to have a very dry brush before starting to drybrush.
    I did some more work on the helmets this afternoon. I drybrushed the helmets with some pure Skull White and then I gave the devastators three washes/glazes with blue ink, with a little bit of black and thinned by some water, about 2:1. The yellow ones received a white drybrush as well and then two washes with sepia ink, with a little bit of devlan mud, and water.

The camera does show the drybrush in a rather harsh fashion, but then it's also some ridiculously close close-ups of a tiny bit. The effect does look a lot softer on the model and the blue appears much deeper as well. When the lighting conditions are a bit better I'll take some more pics. It's a bit too sunny atm for good model photgraphy.

IMG_2628.JPG
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    I believe Meph is doing the not so well known > Giraffe Chapter Marines ... who have unusually long thin necks ... right Meph ?

Jas
    Oh, those rods are actually their flexible bodies. They hop around on the battlefield, headbutting you if you get too close. ;)
    Positioning them using other magnets is quite genius, really, as it also saves some very sticky fingers.
    Cheers! Yeh, it was kind of a eureka moment for me as well. :D
    All the details have been basecoated, ready for inking. Maybe tomorrow or so.
    I'm continuing the 'minimal' palette as with the Tac. Squad. Just some metallics and a few detail colours. After the inking's done, I'll gently drybrush the black as well as the details. Then I just have to apply the decals, paint in the tiny details, such as lenzes. And finally I'll outline the details with thinned black oil paint. The end is in sight! (for this squad).

C&c welcome as always,

IMG_2688.JPG
    Looking at these I forget how small they actually are!
    Yeah, I love how the pics make them seem a different scale. It does tend to emphasize the roughness of the paintjob here and there though, lol. :D
    I'd say it's the opposite, it hammers home the "holy cap these are actually an inch high and you painted that!" effect.
    Hehehe :shiner:
    Hmmm, I'm wondering what colour to paint the lenzes on the Dev helmets... Red, green, or yellow. Personally I'm leaning towards a light green perhaps. What do you guys think?
    Bazingah!

IMG_2701.JPG

And here for some zoomtastic orgasmatronic extravanganza.

IMG_2707.JPG
    Oooh look, DoF blur! :p
    I never really understood the revised poses for Devastators. The old shoulder-mounted versions seemed much more practical. The new lascannon pose just looks plain awkward.