Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLego Supercar

ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Having really liked every Lego model ever done and put up here, I thought I'd do one too. This one is the 8880 set supercar, something I wish I had a real version of because it is just an incredible classic.

Chasis_1.jpg

Chasis_2.jpg

Chasis_3.jpg

Chasis_4.jpg
89938.jpg
Post edited by Armondikov on
Tagged:

• Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Technic Lego was something i never really got into...

Looking forward to seeing how this goes :D
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I think whether you got into Technic or not really depended on how much of a nerd you were.

You know, I don't know why I didn't start using DoF filters sooner.

Chasis_5.jpg

Chasis_6.jpg
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Depth of Field filters eh?... I shall go look for that button and start using them too... :D

I was going to correct your labelling, but then I realised all those 8s were the model number. I was going to show you the technic lego car we had... which was older than that.. by quite some time...

We had 8860... I think my brother got 8865 some years later but... yeah... how times have changed... *sigh*
    :)

Great modelling so far dude. Where will the heavy bolters go?
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    I love that model!!! Keep it on...

Bye
    Dannage wrote: »
    Great modelling so far dude. Where will the heavy bolters go?

Well, I was inspired to try some Lego by this image:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3309/3607124654_95911dca9e.jpg
    A lot of gears and a few things to make from scratch so it's slow but steady progress.

Chasis_7.jpg

Chasis_8.jpg
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. This is fantastic work. Everything is to spec (except there are no LEGO labels on the studs . . .;)) and it all has a realistic plastic feel to it!

BTW, is that a model of the Scorpion fighter from Insurrection you posted?
    The LEGO logo could be done with a bump/normal map... providing I set up the UV map properly, it's something I haven't tested yet! But it should work in theory.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    awesome!! :notworthy: (love that emote!)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I love those old lego kits, those were the days
    Yep, the LEGO bump map works, although it'll need a tiny bit of tweaking, I think.

Chasis_10.jpg

Chasis_11.jpg

I'll turn down the over-exposure and depth blur later. :p
    Chasis_12.jpg
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Coming along nicely! Beveled edges and "lego" displacement maps for the studs are your friends. :)
    Yes, most of the edges are bevelled, which is why this stands at just shy of 200,000 polygons with hardly a quarter of the model made, rather than a more manageable amount. The studs probably don't help that, either as they're about 18 segments each, with bevelling, and I didn't bother deleting the ones that are hidden. :lol: I could run an optimisation to remove the excess polygons and see what I can get away with.

I'll also try to switch the bump map for a normal map with the LEGO logo as they tend to produce a much better displacement and stronger shadows, so it'll be a better result up close.
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    I wanted that car so bad!

looks great!
    Cheers for the support.

Anyway, not much in the way of modelling progress but I have split up the gears so they can be animated. There could be a video soon, just working out how long it would take to render out.

Chasis_13.jpg
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    Nice concept...

Lego is actually excellent for 3D-modeling... right sizes, and thick enough to avoid some of the distortions that come from faces that are close to each other...

We remember years ago that we thought Lego should make a computer game-like constructor... Pretty much a game based around building things... Where the various versions and addons might add new pieces to build with... Ahh... the good old times...
    They did that with Lego Creator. It was pretty fun from what I remember of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Creator_(video_game)

There's also LDraw and a few other programs out there dedicated to Lego building, although in this case I'm just doing it the hard way!

So, first test animation. A little ropey, but it's first time I've used DoF in animation and I cut the AA passes down for a little extra speed.
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    animation looks nice...

lego creator is a bit too simple... the idea we had back then was much, much more complex (and detailed)... but matters little...
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    This is awesome sauce.
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    That's my favorite Lego project ever, I still have it.
    Page by page of the instruction manual, slowly building up the layers of gears in there. Am now on step 22 of 36, but there are a lot of side bits to assemble such as the engine and steering column that means I'm probably closer to step 22 of 56. I'm not far off doing the engine so it will look like actual progress soon enough.

Chasis_15.jpg

Chasis_16.jpg

Chasis_17.jpg
    Obligatory clay render! :p

Chasis_18.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That was my favourite set as well ! I think it was because of the Knight Rider and other tv shows with supercars :D
    Your model looks absolutely stunning so far - it could be easily mistaken for the real thing.
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work, I am loving it.
    Got up to the engine, so a lot of single-use parts to build.
    Engine_1.jpg

Engine_2.jpg
    And, because I'm a nerd, an anaglyph! So break out the old red/blues. This is a "simulated" one, which I assume is something to do with distorting the original image using the depth map that's held in the render buffer, rather than rendering twice and compositing. It's subtle, but the effect is pretty neat for what it is.

Stereo0002.jpg

Okay, this one looks massively blurry in 2D but seriously, a pair of red/blues makes it look really nice!
    Stereo0003.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it would be cool if you could rig it so all the cogs and moving bits worked
    IRML wrote: »
    it would be cool if you could rig it so all the cogs and moving bits worked

That's in progress. About half of the cranks and gears are already separate and animated, I just need to break up the rest. Since I've finished the last of the suspension pieces I should be able to break that up and animate it too. The engine would be a little trickier because it's rotary motion to linear motion in the pistons but I think I can do it, probably a case of creative kinematics and null objects to get it to work..
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice! I made Lego Technic model of car myself, page by page piece modeling too, so as you (hope so) say: Break the neck and good luck!
  • BalsaDawgBalsaDawg0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if you know about this or not, but www.ldraw.org has all of this done for you.

I haven't been there in years, but about 10-12 years ago I contributed quite a few parts to their parts list, not to mention I served a stint on the parts correction and selection comittees, although not "officially".

Some of the "parts" I created for use myself was an actual 3D "LEGO" top for the studs (using them would make rendering take FOREVER, but they looked really nice in closeup), and a set of actuation/pivot/collision point inserts for animations.

I also authored and submitted the shifter plate, shifter handle and several other pieces unique to the 8880 supercar...

If you think modelling with something like AutoCAD is a pain in the ass, try modelling with a program that only does point-to-point and 3 or 4 point faces and 4 decimal places for precision with no type of overlap or intersection detection and uses text files to save data...

... oh, and by the way it is DOS based and the largest GOOD screen resolution you can get on it is 800x600, or you could go 1024x768 if your eyes could handle it and you're ok with blinding headaches... :P

I think I still have a backup of the website I used to do parts authoring and creating TLG (short for "The LEGO Group" - AFOL speak for actual LEGO model builds) and MOC ("My Own Creation" - AFOL speak for "fan" created model builds)...

I also modeled an 8880 as well as an 8448 - the "Super Street Sensation", and a friend of mine has this website in case you want some overhaul modifications for your supercars:

http://onyx.malagraphixia.com/Sehr_Schnell/

Plus there are some tools on the LDraw.org website to output to programs like POV for direct rendering of LDraw models (see below).

Here is the Explorien Starship (lego 6982) that I did back in... wow... 1998:
    6982.jpg

... as well as a few other renderings:

6781.jpg6929.jpg6954.jpg6973.jpg6987.jpg6770.jpg6980.jpg

Believe it or not but the actual placement of the parts and building of the models were done with the original LDraw program, which is a dos-based CAD type of program. This program was written YEARS before the "Lego Creator" program was a sparkle in some programmer's eye. Please go to the www.LDraw.org website and read about it and it's author.