Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBsg wip

arexxisarexxis0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
3dsmax 2011

Please read the 3rd Post

Textures will be added soon
89593.jpg
89594.jpg
89595.jpg
89546.jpg
Post edited by arexxis on

• aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice start
  • arexxisarexxis0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for your answer aylaa!

First, excuse my english :D. Ive started the BSG for an animation project im currently working on and hopefully will show you guys in a few weeks. Thats why i refuse to upload any pictures from the bottom view (looks horrible).

I wanted to make her much more detailed then she is right now (i hade a dream......), but i made the mistake and searched for "battlestar galactica" here on the forum. That demolished my moral brutaly. There are really some extreme well done projects here, and i was half way done with my own BSG. I would have needed to start all over again to compete (at least a little bit) against those models.

I got a really important question for you guys: How much time (in hours) would you think a decent modeler would need for the current state of the BSG? I ask that because i want to now how good my workflow is right now. My Adobe Photoshop Trial says im modelling now for about 15 days, ive never done anything in this sector, im new to all of this. I got no clue in how much time it normaly takes to model something.

Here are the projects ive done in this 2 weeks.
    (also made an mp3 player, but cant find it anywhere :/ )

(edit: the viper is still wip)
    89575.jpg89573.jpg89574.jpg89367.jpg89368.jpg
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    First off, nice battlestar. Second, to answer your question, you would need a great deal of time AND computer power to handle these kinds of projects. Usually it takes Fractalsponge a month or so to model his Star Wars monsters, and they range from 300k polys to 30 million. If you have a storebought desktop, I HIGHLY recommend a serious upgrade if you're gonna do a massive project. Intel processors, nvidia graphics cards, ddr3 ram, and good cooling (unless you live with penguins) are recommended for a new machine.

Also, if you are modeling with photoshop, may I recommend you use something a little more professional like 3ds max or Lightwave?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    well, you have a lot of ways to achieve something in 3d. some faster than others, some more efficient, some easily modifiable,... and some completely bad. usualy ultra fast workflow are bad workflows.
    also, you are a beginer. you cant expect to be as fast and efficient as a 10years expericenced vfx industry artist.

well, took me 2.5 workdays for this mining truck interior and exterior, and materials :
    camion02.jpg
    Also, if you are modeling with photoshop, may I recommend you use something a little more professional like 3ds max or Lightwave?

Im modelling with 3ds2011, as stated in the 1st post. The part with "15 day Photoshop trial" was easy to misunderstand, sorry for that.
    Thanks for the computer tipps, but i think ive got enough cpu power here with about 2x16ghz and 2x8gb Ram. But anyway, thanks :)

Fractalsponges models are really impressive (same as l2ks showreel after which ive needed to put my chin back up :D).

@L2K so about 20 hours for that model? Youre pretty good compared to me. In your honest opinion, how much time would a decent modeler need for the BSG up there? I know there are different qualitys of work, but on my experience level i could probably not tell the difference.

Edit: Im modelling the enterprise d right now, and i will try to give it more details and quality. If that works, im probably going to redesign the BSG from scratch.
    :) i'm a professional :) (and right now i have lots of frustrations because of my incompetant boss.)

i'd model a few everyday life objects before taking a try on the galactica, to warm up and explore the tools.
    model a radio, a spoon, an apple, a gun, a cofee machine, a telephone,...
    doesnt need to take long, but you'll learn quite a few things doing it.
    style : ah, the slice tool does that? cool. so what about using it right there, and then applying a bevel on the resulting thing ?
    oh yes, my galactica will need that.
    But everyday items are so damn boring :runs: The BSG and the Viper are supposed to get me used to 3ds max / photoshop / adobe after effects, so i can start on building games for smartphones and the ipad (as soon as the new cryengine is released). Im decent at coding, but never had anything to do with 3d modelling. First i wanted to outsource it, maybe to a study colleague, but after finishing the laptop and the razer mouse, 3d modelling got me. Modelling is fun :D

My jedi senses are telling me you will never answer that other question (probably cause you dont want to shock me :)), so im gonna stop asking.

(again, sorry for my english)

Edit: I just noticed that i dont even know what the slice tool is. Im gonna watch some more tutorials. Havent even touched 3/4 of the tools in 3ds..... (im stupid)
    that takes years. there are entire schools dedicated to 3d, vfx or games. its fun indeed, but it takes a huge amount of time.
    watch it that way : you cant build a house if you dont know how to use a tool.
    and you cant understand a tool just by reading the manual. you have to practice it, and see in what ocasion it has to be used instead of an other one.
    hence, practice with everyday objects.
    youre not stupid, youre a beginer. you'll learn. be patient, young padawan.
    your everyday objects can be part of a scifi big project. i'm playing crysis2 and i can see that the models dont limit to the nanosuit and the aliens. theres also garbage bags, coffee machines, chairs and glasses, plants,...
    Ok, you got me. Im finishing this project and after that im going to model some everyday objects. Its probably the best way to start modelling things that you actually can hold in your hand and look at, instead of modelling something you see from a 2D perspective.

Thanks for your advices!