Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFar Trader (Traveller)

traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys,

Capt. Dave and I are working on this 300 ton far trader for the Traveller RPG. Fat Cat is two decks and 37.5 meters LOA with a tri-hull design.

Some of you may have seen the 2-D wip. Look through that thread for general information about what's going on.

Modeling is in Wings3D; final renders will be done in Kerkythea. Questions and comments will be welcomed.

This is the original concept model:

f-34-concept.png

I've started rebuilding the basic hull shape for the model. I've got the beginning of the upper hulls and the pylons. If you look at the plans from the 2D wips, you may see they don't match exactly in some places - I'm aware of it. I'll be taking some artistic liberty when I think it will benefit the design.

enjoy!

wip_0322a.png

wip_0322b.png

wip_0322c.png
General Specifications
LOA: 37.5m
BEAM: 35m
HEIGHT: 13m
TONNAGE: 300dT (gross); 144dT (net)
Primary Hull: 32.5m x 14m x 9m; 120dT/GT
Secondary Hulls (P/S): 24.5m x 9m x 7m; 90dT/GT
ACCOMMODATION: Pilot, 1-5 Crew; 16 Passenger Capacity
92184.jpg
Post edited by traq on
Tagged:

• traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    wow... I haven't rendered anything since I switched to Linux. Kerkythea [without Windows] is kicka$$ fast!
    wip_0323a.png
    wip_0323b.png
    wip_0323d.png
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Gee, maybe its because linux uses less than a third of the system resources that windows hogs up... I have a linux box that runs rings around my windows box when it come to..well .. just about anything. Only reason I still have a windows box is because I haven't found all the linux utilities i need to publish my game books with yet.

Also I downloaded the wings3d program. I plan to play with it and see if I can get the hang of it. Would be cool if I could finally have an outlet for some of my mechanical ideas.

As for the designs not exactly matching the deck plans...If the design match perfectly, it just wouldn't be a traveller ship (remember my comment about the Broadsword?).
    yeah, lol. it won't be anything that bad (mostly talking about the rounded corners on the stern of the primary hull - some other things might pop up in translation to 3D).

Two more (man, I like this first one!)

wip_0323h.png
    wip_0323i.png
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Well, you've got my full attention! I like the profile in the first pic. :thumb:
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    Also I downloaded the wings3d program. I plan to play with it and see if I can get the hang of it...
    I love it. there's plenty of freeware, but Wings' UI just makes sense to me. You should try Kerkythea for rendering; they make great companions.
    cavebear wrote: »
    Well, you've got my full attention! I like the profile in the first pic. :thumb:
    hellsyeah, I surprised myself with how well the hull lines turned out. It looks massive (as a hauler should), despite its small size; yet still appears sleek and quick.

thanks!
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    I LOVE anything that says, "Traveller".
    traq wrote: »
    I love it. there's plenty of freeware, but Wings' UI just makes sense to me. You should try Kerkythea for rendering; they make great companions.
    OK, I downloaded that too. but before I can really doing anything with it, I'm likely going to have to upgrade my box.
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    OK, I downloaded that too. but before I can really doing anything with it, I'm likely going to have to upgrade my box.

my desktop is about five years old (with minor upgrades) - 3GHz dual core, 4GB RAM - and it runs fine.
    my desktop is about five years old (with minor upgrades) - 3GHz dual core, 4GB RAM - and it runs fine.
    Ya my box is a 2.8GHz, 1gb ram, and an ooooolllldddd 64mb graphics card. I need to make a trip down to free geek and see if I can find a compatible 256 card here soon.

I so need to get back to writing. So no one want to be a proof reader I take it? If i'm wring, and you do, PM me with an email address I can send the .doc too.
    cuttin' in the windows

wip_0326a.png

p.s. Dave, I can proofread too if you need me to.
    Cool windows. I'd put some shutters on them, we don't want passengers looking out into the nothingness and go mad as they travel through jump space.
    p.s. Dave, I can proofread too if you need me to.
    I don't have the full draft done yet, but I guess i should send it to you as is. I'm betting you will have some useful input to get this thing written.
    a start on armor paneling. I can tell that the nose panel (where the hardpoint is) is going to be a pain. I think I'm going to smooth the model again and start over anyway, though, so, whatever. :D

wip_0330a.png
    click to enlarge and you'll see the panels (and the mesh errors) more clearly.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Nifty panels! Though, speaking from a form following function thing, you might see if you can make them more regular. You know--ease of spares and repairs.

Still, it looks great as is! :)
    yeah, it's a fine line between utility and boredom :D there will only be really oddly-shaped panels where they're needed (for example, that one on the nose is an access plate for the forward hardpoint). most will be pretty plain looking.

thanks!
    new panels - liking them. they're not too tedious to make, either.

wip_0331a.png
    wip_0331c.png
    wip_0331d.png
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Nifty panels! Though, speaking from a form following function thing, you might see if you can make them more regular. You know--ease of spares and repairs.

Still, it looks great as is! :)
    I should note that "in game" this is a design that has been in production for roughly 1200 years. The Versis have a mentality of "If its still works, theirs no need to replace it". The design is sound, attractive, and economical. So neither trillium, nor the Guilds have seen any need to a redesign. Rather existing ships are commonly refit over and over, staying in service for upwards of 250 years for one party of another.

I say all this drive home the point that even parts that are only used on this ship, and only in one location on the ship, are far from in short supply. Roughly 1000 of these ships are made each year, and with an operational life of around 250 years, its likely there are 230,000 (give or take a few thousand; accounting for attrition) of these ships in operation.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Why have panels at all? On modern ocean-going vessels, you have to look very, very closely indeed to see the weld lines. Wouldn't a future, ship be even smoother? Particularly one built in vacume?
    hardpoints would need panels (since you need to remove them to install whatever laser cannon you prefer), and similarly, other access points need panels as well. I'm imagining that the curved section around the middle of the ship (below the upper windows and above the pylons) houses some sort of sensor equipment, so it's going to have large panels as well. plus, panels add a level of detail that just looks cool.

all in all, however, you're right. I wouldn't think this ship was constructed by welding panels together anyway; the skin of the hull is probably fabricated in place (some sort of fabric impregnated with a resin, formed in place and flash cured, perhaps?). That's just wild speculation, but it's the general construction concept I've had in mind. Basically, you could imagine that panels are mostly in place only where you might need to access things. Other, larger panels might simply facilitate replacement and repair.
    upper paneling is done. moving to the lower.

wip_0401a.png
    wip_0401b.png

damn, this is as close as I can zoom in? better scrap it.

wip_0401c.png

j/k
    is looking good.
    I haven't been able to work on this in a while, but here's where I left off (and I am picking it back up now!):

wip_0420a.png
    wip_0420b.png
    Yay! which means I need to start working on the text again.
    /dump : )

wip_0912_a.jpg
    wip_0912_d.jpg
    wip_0912_c.jpg
    wip_0912_f.jpg
    wip_0912_g.jpg
    some more work on the maneuver engines.

wip_0913_a.png
    wip_0913_c.png
    Looking good.

Is that white line thats floating above the secondary hull an artifact or is it some kinda hand rail? If its a hand rail its going to burn off in reentry.
    Yeah, a handrail. Just an idea. It could retract fully when it's not being used (it needs to extend for use anyway, at its current height it's just a triprail). I liked the look. It would probably be more appropriate on the main hull, though.

(Incidentally, I don't think this design is terribly well-suited to reentry [in the present-day sense] at all. It would definitely need a more controlled descent, and a fairly soft landing in particular [S-TOL]. I placed high-power antigrav "pushers" on the bottom of the hulls for landing assist; I don't know how valid that is in the Traveler universe but it seemed logical.)
    I placed high-power antigrav "pushers" on the bottom of the hulls for landing assist; I don't know how valid that is in the Traveler universe but it seemed logical.)
    Actually that's pretty much how it works.
    ...and a couple more. The Fat Cat has landed.

wip_0913_f.png
    wip_0913_g.png

That's all for tonight, folks.
    Nice concept. I assume the slides will become steps at some point. Otherwise someone is going brake an ankle in them high heals.
    I broke an ankle, least she can do is follow suit