Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTaiidan Fiirkan-class Scout

Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
edited March 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I've decided to recreate the Taiidan scout from Homeworld. I have little training at the time, so it could take time, but here is the model so far:
th_Fiirkan.png
Bring forth the criticism! (if any)

EDIT: Forgot to post the poly count. It's at 64k polygons after turbosmooth.
Post edited by Lord Overmind on
Tagged:

• LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    64k is pretty hefty for something that relatively simple. See if you can cut out some of the extraneous polys. I learned how to model using Gmax and modeling for MS Flight Sim. It means that I have practiced keeping polys down the entire time I have been modeling, which also means that I can create realistic and complex models with about 1/3-1/2 of what many modelers use. If you get in the habit early, you'll stay in the habit and won't make models that take days to render.

Oh, and if you use PhotoBucket, I find it easier to post the direct link. That way, PhotoBucket doesn't have to pop up each time. Makes it easier for those with slower computers or net connections.
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    I apreciate the advice, but I am trying to make what can be considered a production-grade ship in case anyone did not know.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    My mistake! I didn't realize how much of the ship was actually done, there. Seems that you only have a few exterior bits to add, plus the engine block. A count of 64k in this case actually seems reasonable . . .
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    64k still seems like a lot for what you have posted - in fact, 6k would seem like a lot. "Production Grade" (or "high quality") doesn't necessarily mean high polygon count. Where are those polys going? is there more detail we're not seeing in the pic you posted?
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    LockeFP: I am aware I still need to add the engine block and other parts. Those will be modeled separate.

Traq: The polygons are going into turbosmooth as well as doodads on the hull.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    i see.

do you have more pics? not much to say about your first one, aside from "looks like a good start."