Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy zbrush experience

jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2011 in Work in Progress #1
So I've been gone for a long time, life has been pretty tuff lately. I did buy zbrush almost a year ago and have been trying to carve out some time to learn it. I've read in the discussion forum that there is not a lot of zbrush/mudbox posts so here's my contribution.

Let's see, I'll start with some fan art. I've always wanted to create some things from this author's universe, see if you can guess it. I've posted this in some of her fan forum sites and on deviantArt. I'm not at cgtalk level yet, so feel free to crit.

path_02.jpg

path_01.jpg

path_color_02.jpg

wher_2_toed_02.jpg

wher_2_toed_01.jpg
88460.jpg
Post edited by jay-mo on
Tagged:

• BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    If you built all of that yourself (including the human) .... then you've done well so far .... I like what you've got going with the one on the rock, .... define the muscle structure some more, and the ribcage .... I would avoid applying colours to it, until you've got the surface details defined, like scales, leathery skin etc ...

Research real-world reptiles for believable scale patterns and realistic colour schemes ... along with refs for animal anatomy to improve areas you think may need more work .... The eye's will be important to sell the creature, so take care with those ...

You're off to a good start jay-mo ... Keep going .... And don't sell yourself short either, ... this work is respectable enough to be shown at CGTalk, as most organic models start off this way, it's how you 'finish' them (final polish / detail) that separates one artist from another ...

Jas
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    Yup, all models were built buy me, although the geometry was imported into zbrush. I've tried the "subdivide the hell out of a sphere" and start sculpting. It's great way to learn all the brushes and its a lot of fun, but I still think it's an ineffecient use of polys. I spent some time building those base meshes so I could get some good edge loops and polygon flow when I subdivide them. I found some tuts on editting the topo in zbrush, but it seemed very limitted. It's been easier for me to just import the geometry.

About the dragons, they are characters from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series and I'm trying to stick to the description. They are pretty non traditional dragons; facetted eyes, smooth psuede-like skin, and head knobs instead of pointed horns. Maybe I'll do a scaly one some time down the road.

I know you've used zbrush, maybe it's time to look for your 40k threads... oh, I see the links in your sig.
    Thanks for stopping in.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Awesome work Jay-mo! Anything concerning Dragonriders of Pern gets a thumbs up from me. :) Looking forward to this.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I dig your watch-wher. I loved those books when I was a kid... imagined myself as Lessa more times than I care to admit. I like that you're starting with a green, and look forward to seeing how you scale up to the bronzes and golds!

I do think more variation in skin tone is called for. Even the "normal" colored dragons were described as having various shades of their color in their skin, and Ruth was a riot of color.
    Thanks Road Warrior.

Thanks Walkyrje. I read these books back in the sixth grade. I have to admit that I fell in love with Michael Whelan's cover art for the books first before I read the books. Once I finish the sculpting, a work on the paint job again.

Here is a character I'm working on.
    demon_001.jpg
    Worked on this more today. Thinking of losing the pants and going with some armor.

demon_002.jpg
    Interesting that you chose to go with plantigrade feet, while keeping the general human appearance of them. I don't know that I've seen that done before.
    This was created from a human base mesh I made for zbrushing. This started out as head sculpt practice but I liked where it was going so I continued to sculpt the body details. I was going to go with cloven hoof, but I liked what the modified human foot looked like. It will be a nice test run for a werewolf or other humanoid creature.
    Ditched the pants and started to add some armor. Started working more muscle groups and added a tail.
    demon_003.jpg
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Very Very cool!
    Ah, yes... the imposing codpiece. A vital part of any suit of armor. ;)
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    W00T! Anne McCaffery!
    and the demon is awesome also
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Very good jay-Mo! Now, you need to play with creatures painted by Boris Valejo too. :devil:
    Capt Dave: Thanks! I'm really lovin zbrush.
    Jenny: Very, very vital piece of armor!;)
    walpurgis: I've always wanted model some of her stuff. Thanks!
    Starship: Thanks! Boris Valejo is one of my idols.

Here is more of the armor.
    demon_004-1.jpg

I'm just playing around with transpose in this one.
    demon_005.jpg
    He needs a chainmail skirt or something... right now, his femoral artery is exposed.
    Jenny wrote: »
    He needs a chainmail skirt or something... right now, his femoral artery is exposed.

He'll have to use his demonic reflexes to avoid that death blow.:) Seriously though, I think that's all th armor one the legs I'm going to do. It's getting kind of cluttered in that area. I think mabet one more on th arse.

Here's a test with decimation pluggin, down to about 200k, and not much detail lost.
    procedural maps + fastskin shader with mr render

demon_test.jpg
    Nice eyes. Tail should be more red, weapon haft less.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Impressive!
    So I participated in the last HMC challenge over at cgtalk and of course couldn't make it on time. It was "sci-fi icon" and I tried the recast category, Clint Eastwood as Marcus Phoenix from Gears of War. I was pretty happy with what I had, although I had trouble with the way the cog armor fit on a pretty average human body. I used the concept art for the main reference because I didn't want the character to be as muscle bound as in the game. Since I missed the deadline for the challange, I'm going to try and finish it in the wips.

here's where I'm at

HMC_29_007.jpg

HMC_29_008.jpg