Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHigh-Poly Trek Character

MonomorphicMonomorphic0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This is a post-voyager era character I created using zbrush 3.1 and 3ds max 2010. I used the hair and fur modifier for hair, subsurface scattering for the skin and Physique for rigging. I dumped Physique and am using the Skin modifier now because I was having some distortions in the face which is obvious in the posed image. His species comes from a Super-Earth planet. That is, a planet that is a least two times the mass of Earth. They have developed special sensory organs in their feet and prefer to have direct contact with the ground... which is why he is barefoot.

char8_001.jpg

The uniform is what I call the 'Tactical Uniform'. The only way to explain it is to say it is the Starfleet version of the Gelfield suites from The Culture series by Ian Banks... with a few twists of my own.

char9_002.jpg

I also modeled the phaser rifle.
Post edited by Monomorphic on

• Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Subsurface scattering for skin always works so well; it really makes a difference to his face. Are you using a plugin for it or the basic Max packaged one?

I also like the distinction you've got with him resembling a human but not looking quite human. Like that medical woman in the new trek film with eyes on her forehead :)
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sure if zbrush3.1 has zspheres, but if this is not for an animation, you should try making a zsphere rig. I've been having great success with it.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    thats high poly?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    thats high poly?

Ugh...

@mono: It is a very interesting character. Human, but not quite.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • MonomorphicMonomorphic0 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    thats high poly?

Believe it or not there are 130,000 polygons in this model. I used a 2.4 million poly model for texturing in zbrush. I would consider a low poly model to be in the 10,000 and under range.
  • MonomorphicMonomorphic0 Posts: 0Member
    Rivers3D wrote: »
    Subsurface scattering for skin always works so well; it really makes a difference to his face. Are you using a plugin for it or the basic Max packaged one?

I also like the distinction you've got with him resembling a human but not looking quite human. Like that medical woman in the new trek film with eyes on her forehead :)

I'm using the standard SSS Fast Skin Material (mi). I used this tutorial from Autodesk to get the underlying map to look right: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7445229&linkID=9241175

Thanks. I wanted a character that you could easily identify with but could still have as exotic a origin as possible.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Interesting char and good background story about his species. Nice work.