Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationChris2005's Stuff

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    Very cool project.

On a side note, I've often wondered what a 25th century version of the BoP would look like. We have seen a BoP of the past and present, but not the Future design.

Thanks.

I'm not sure either.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    One of the odds, and ends, of the Klingon history was that they were once subjects of an Empire named "The Kings". Once the client states rebelled, the Klingons filled in the gap, left by "The Kings". True to their nature expecting treachery, most of their warships had a long neck seperating the bridge, from the main hull. The Klingons did not want to give the non Klingons a chance to seize the bridge area.
    I would guess, in the 25 century the seperation between the the bridge, and reminder of the ship would shorten, but would keep the avian look, since its intimidating.
    Another preview, this time only images.

FYI:
    This clips angle/set up was inspired by an image by Tobias Richter.
    87187.jpg87188.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Another preview, this time only images.

FYI:
    This clips angle/set up was inspired by an image by Tobias Richter.

i know what pic you mean and somewhere on my harddrive i saved it...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZh0POURx8

Final Preview, before final release...

:D
    87240.png
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Quite impressive.

BTW: Check the Youtube settings for those videos. They're currently configured to not allow embedding (like in the posts above).
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Chris, what is the purpose of this animation, could you elaborate this? I often see you and others trying at different scenes of trek, but with no explaination if this was meant for example animation purposes, or trying to copy the original, or even trying to do it better, maybe give your own thoughts to it, and so on. No need to give any comments on, for example, the explosions, when this animation was meant to try and get a nice scene together when it comes to animation.
    And if it was the purpose for animation purposes, that last shot is very very nice, always hard to have a torpedo going when there are no refences, always in frame, in space:)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I think his purpose is to recreate the entire battle at the end of STVI. Recreating scenes from movies is actually a good idea, because as you try to make it exactly like the scene, you'll learn a few tricks and ideas that you can use in your own animations.

I believe the explosion is a bit larger in the actual film that what you have. Interested in seeing the final product.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Quite impressive.

BTW: Check the Youtube settings for those videos. They're currently configured to not allow embedding (like in the posts above).

Yea, I disable them, so they aren't embedded in websites, to which I don't want.
    wjaspers wrote: »
    Chris, what is the purpose of this animation, could you elaborate this? I often see you and others trying at different scenes of trek, but with no explaination if this was meant for example animation purposes, or trying to copy the original, or even trying to do it better, maybe give your own thoughts to it, and so on. No need to give any comments on, for example, the explosions, when this animation was meant to try and get a nice scene together when it comes to animation.
    And if it was the purpose for animation purposes, that last shot is very very nice, always hard to have a torpedo going when there are no refences, always in frame, in space:)

Didn't you make a TMP leaving drydock animation? ;)

I'm doing this because of what oldmangreg said, and that it's fun to. :)

Well, you see the torpedo for a split second prior to impact, in that last shot.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    I think his purpose is to recreate the entire battle at the end of STVI. Recreating scenes from movies is actually a good idea, because as you try to make it exactly like the scene, you'll learn a few tricks and ideas that you can use in your own animations.

I believe the explosion is a bit larger in the actual film that what you have. Interested in seeing the final product.

Well, here is the explosion:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuchd/ch12/tuchd2299.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    I think in the movie it looks more severe because its less fireball and more of an explosion of hull and debris

That's what I mean, trying to make the animation look like the real deal, or the entire scene. Difference would be, if you want to recreate the entire scene, that the models should look like the real deal too. That is what I am missing here, and in other animations from other people aswell on youtube.
    Animating is one thing, something Chris is doing very well (lots of people have difficulties with it), lighting setup and texturing needs to be good aswell if trying to recreate the real thing. That is why I was asking. This IS the 3dwip section, where people (used) to come and give comments crits and tricks to improve eachothers skills. But if this is all about animating, Chris does not need comments to improve it (IMHO), and because of that I won't give any:)
    But if this is of recreating the real thing, then the lighting and texturing needs work.
    Well he can receive comments of people who have tips on animating who are experts on this sort of thing, like that one guy who did that impressive Fed v Romulan video. Technically this is a 3D WIP, since at the moment we don't actually have an animation category.
    That's what I mean, trying to make the animation look like the real deal, or the entire scene. Difference would be, if you want to recreate the entire scene, that the models should look like the real deal too. That is what I am missing here, and in other animations from other people aswell on youtube.
    Animating is one thing, something Chris is doing very well (lots of people have difficulties with it), lighting setup and texturing needs to be good aswell if trying to recreate the real thing. That is why I was asking. This IS the 3dwip section, where people (used) to come and give comments crits and tricks to improve eachothers skills. But if this is all about animating, Chris does not need comments to improve it (IMHO), and because of that I won't give any:)
    But if this is of recreating the real thing, then the lighting and texturing needs work.

Well, the lighting is matching the lighting the best I can get it, according to each shot from the movie, the texturing for the models are the textures that were made with the models, with a few tweaks, to make the specular mapping more noticeable.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    The point of Impact is off by a few places

If you look at that pic you linked from the movie, the impact is in line with the the dash, yours is closer to the 'A'

Is there anyway you can make your scenes a littler darker, The Enterprise looks too well lit for space, and the hull looks almost white instead of a pale shade of grey ( like in that movie screencap)

When you export your video, is there an option that you can turn on/off that will sharpen the quality a little, or make it seem less soft
    The point of Impact is off by a few places

If you look at that pic you linked from the movie, the impact is in line with the the dash, yours is closer to the 'A'

I'll consider mine, personal touch. ;)
    Is there anyway you can make your scenes a littler darker, The Enterprise looks too well lit for space, and the hull looks almost white instead of a pale shade of grey ( like in that movie screencap)

I can add a brightness and contrast effect to the post video, I'm almost done with the project now, I wish I'd gotten input after my first post, but I didn't, anyway, I can add a brightness and contrast effect, to lower the brightness, and increase the contrast, to give it a bit more darker yet contrasted look.

The screencap also has film grain, but yea, it has more of a blue tint, and it's darker, considering my light is at 0.8 of 1.0 for the multiplier, 1.0 is the default, and it completely washed out the textures on the hull.
    When you export your video, is there an option that you can turn on/off that will sharpen the quality a little, or make it seem less soft

Well, I'm exporting in Quicktime, it has no animations, I can change the filter for AA, they have a NTSC/PAL preset, that has a 25 pixel blur for NTSC/PAL systems or w/e, but it's always been to blurry for me.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Prob want to bring it down from 1.0 to maybe .5 or 0.6, that should leave enough light and not wash out the textures
    ^ Agree, also which program are you using?
    Prob want to bring it down from 1.0 to maybe .5 or 0.6, that should leave enough light and not wash out the textures

Well, the textures themselves are already very white/bright, by default, it's the specular mapping that show detail.

This is the model I'm using:
    http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=307&p13_fileid=552
    ^ Agree, also which program are you using?

For?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    The animation. 3DS Max, lightwave, etc.?

Baily's Enterprise is nice. I think Raul's is probably the best rendition though.
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    Hes a fellow Max user like myself.
    I was wondering because you should also mess with Shadow settings if you have them on, so you can preserve the details.
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Well, the lighting is matching the lighting the best I can get it, according to each shot from the movie, the texturing for the models are the textures that were made with the models, with a few tweaks, to make the specular mapping more noticeable.

So you do try and match the original, and I understand that you did your best of doing it, but If you ask me, this animation is so good, it deserves a better try at the lighting and general model look. Since this is the 3dwip section, I could try and show you a few pictures here how it could look better, with the D.Bailey Ent, if it is not for this anim, maybe it will show you a few things for the future anims.
    What do you think, give it a try, or leave it the way it is?
    The animation. 3DS Max, lightwave, etc.?

Baily's Enterprise is nice. I think Raul's is probably the best rendition though.

3DS Max.

Raul Mamoru's? I think some of the textures color, are a bit awkward, like the lower section of the pylons, have a pink look... but I do like his refit.
    I was wondering because you should also mess with Shadow settings if you have them on, so you can preserve the details.

Well, I'm using shadow maps, and regardless of the shadows, the textures look basically the same, I've used raytraced, area shadows, etc.
    So you do try and match the original, and I understand that you did your best of doing it, but If you ask me, this animation is so good, it deserves a better try at the lighting and general model look. Since this is the 3dwip section, I could try and show you a few pictures here how it could look better, with the D.Bailey Ent, if it is not for this anim, maybe it will show you a few things for the future anims.
    What do you think, give it a try, or leave it the way it is?

I'd think I'd say for the next animation, because I'm on the last shot of this.

Be my guest, I mean, the textures are that, that came with the model, it is Dennis Bailey's v2 refit.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Gave it a shot Chris.

I think your textures lack the most are the aztecs and the coloring of the "details".
    When I look at the screengrab, I can still see the aztecs, not as much, but I can still see them. So I used Dennis his mesh and adjusted the textures just a little bit.

This is what I did, I used the screengrab, adjusted the camera to match the screengrab, and put a cyan colored light in. Then I adjusted the textures so they match up.

Attached the result, second picture (be aware that there will be additional lighting so the texturing looks a little dark). Also compare the thruster housing, thrusters, phasers and the BC deck spotlights, to the screengrab. Also the red rim of the lettering and the red on the BC deck, much darker as the original textures are.

Then I did the lighting, that would be the next picture.

When I study the screengrab, I can see there is a bleu light used and a pink? light used. But that pinkish light does not reach the back of the saucer, so I gave it a far attenuation to stop reaching the back of the saucer. The bleu (cyan) light gives a shadow like the screengrab, the pinkish light has no shadow. Then I copied these two lights and adjusted placement and strenght for the saucer rim. Put in another greenish light at the back of the saucer for the rim and the side of the BC deck, not as evident, but it is there. Finished with a bit of contrast and film grain.

Think it matches well to the screengrab, and it wasn't that much work to do, you just need to study the screengrabs, where the lights on the model are placed and how the aztecs look like at that moment. This ofcourse means that the aztecs could possible need to be changed for the different shots, but there is also a very nice procedure to do it without changing the aztecs in an editor.

So believe me, if you are able to do this anims, put in the effects, then surely you can do this texture lighting thing, to match the real thing :)
    87277.jpg87279.jpg
    The above shots are great.

It shows that even if you want to match it shot-for-shot like in the film, you need to do alot of tweaking and experimenting with lighting and different settings for the textures.

Chris, you are a good animator, you are pretty good at getting the animations down to a smooth and fluid look, I like some of the camera angles you use, but like wjaspers kinda says, if you spend some more time experimenting with the lightings and textures, you can go from good animations to great animations
    Gave it a shot Chris.

I think your textures lack the most are the aztecs and the coloring of the "details".
    When I look at the screengrab, I can still see the aztecs, not as much, but I can still see them. So I used Dennis his mesh and adjusted the textures just a little bit.

This is what I did, I used the screengrab, adjusted the camera to match the screengrab, and put a cyan colored light in. Then I adjusted the textures so they match up.

Attached the result, second picture (be aware that there will be additional lighting so the texturing looks a little dark). Also compare the thruster housing, thrusters, phasers and the BC deck spotlights, to the screengrab. Also the red rim of the lettering and the red on the BC deck, much darker as the original textures are.

Then I did the lighting, that would be the next picture.

When I study the screengrab, I can see there is a bleu light used and a pink? light used. But that pinkish light does not reach the back of the saucer, so I gave it a far attenuation to stop reaching the back of the saucer. The bleu (cyan) light gives a shadow like the screengrab, the pinkish light has no shadow. Then I copied these two lights and adjusted placement and strenght for the saucer rim. Put in another greenish light at the back of the saucer for the rim and the side of the BC deck, not as evident, but it is there. Finished with a bit of contrast and film grain.

Think it matches well to the screengrab, and it wasn't that much work to do, you just need to study the screengrabs, where the lights on the model are placed and how the aztecs look like at that moment. This ofcourse means that the aztecs could possible need to be changed for the different shots, but there is also a very nice procedure to do it without changing the aztecs in an editor.

So believe me, if you are able to do this anims, put in the effects, then surely you can do this texture lighting thing, to match the real thing :)

I was kinda lost in all that, but ok, also, is that Dennis' v1 or v2 refit?

The version 1 had more contrasted paneling for the diffuse material, but given that their are 4 textures, just for the saucer top on v2, I'm a bit lost as to how they should be put in the material slots, much less the material type...

Yea, I had to re-texture my model, when Mylex sent it to me, because at the time, I was using an older version of Max him, so he had to send a 3DS version, so I had to retexture it...

There are 4 textures for the saucer texturing:

1) ent_refit_saucer_top_aztec
    2) ent_refit_saucer_top_under001
    3) ent_refit_saucer_top_under_color
    4) ent_refit_saucer_top_undercolor

I'm think the Multi-layer standard material option, I'm not sure exactly how or which slots, etc. they go, I just put textures in slots, and adjust until they look right to me, of course, I've never noticed the 4th texture, just 3 of them.

I like the first screenshot, add some stars, and bam, movie shot, I think the added film grain helps, I didn't put any in mine, because prior to use Quicktime .mov format, and using .avi and final output to MP4 in Premiere, made quality terrible with film grain... is the film grain added in post or using the built-in Max film grain effect?

Yea, I didn't know about all these other lights, like the pink light, and the greenish light, all I did was give the light a whitish/cyan look, and then placed a second light in the back of the Enterprise, to give the shaded area's some low light, so it wasn't in complete darkness.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Perhaps, after my video I plan on doing from the DS9 episode "Shattered Mirror."

I can come back to this little VFX I did back in '07, this was made way before I had a computer powerful enough to even do SD animations, this was made on a Pentium 3, not even 1GHz less than 1GB of RAM, and this was compiled in XP's movie maker, and this was way before YouTube had even 360p video quality, in fact no widescreen support, hence the black bars on the sides now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kl18AhNp4
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Great Animation Chris love you work. Only thing is I don't like this part of the movie.
    Yea. Even without shields, the Galaxy-class can easily beat a Bird of Prey.