Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DseaQuest DSV, again.

BSiataBSiata331 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Couple years back I 'built' a SeaQuest model that, at the time, I stated I wasn't quuiiite happy with. So, at the time I released it into the aether with my blessing to anyone who wanted to take it on and fix it up, or use it for their own renders. Now, four years later, I've decided to have another crack at it.

This build will, in large part, be based on this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/modern_fred/2227858301/

Preliminary contour sketching(?):
87263.jpg
87264.jpg
87265.jpg
Post edited by BSiata on
Tagged:

• Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Way cool, always liked the seaQuest design!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    As do I, will be watching this one.
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    ...aaahhhh seaQuest....how I missed the series. ^^
  • DGWilliamsDGWilliams0 Posts: 0Member
    You know I'll be following this one very closely. ;)

Good luck.
  • BSiataBSiata331 Posts: 0Member
    Curses! I'm already starting to notice some problems with that source image. When I look at the contour lines in 3D, they don't match what's onscreen. Gonna have to rethink this one...
  • Mycroft MaxwellMycroft Maxwell0 Posts: 0Member
    BSiata, I LOVE YOU MAN!!! I sure hope you still building that thing in blender. Well so far, only thing wrong with the current mesh is the "Grooves" under the "Arrow" where the lights are are missing, and the portholes that line those struts that connect the main sections with the launch bay. Oh, and those "Spotlights". I have gotten season 2 of DSV on dvd since the last time i talked to you. I still havent learned how to do anything with blender. Listen, IF you do rebuild this thing, if you wouldnt mind, I suggest you include the WSKRS. Seaquest won't ever look right without them. I am so glad to see you back here!!!!
    Heh, thanks man, good to see you're still active. I'm gonna go ahead with it even though that diagram's a bit off. I'll just play with the curves and proportions until they LOOK right, I'm not going to be a perfectionist about it. The... ballast tanks(?) on the sides were the main areas on the old model that I was unhappy with. I just sort-of fudged them in by overlapping objects. On this model I want to do the whole section, and maybe the entire hull, as one mesh object.
    Ok, starting out with the curves mapped from the source image, their vertices placed at regular intervals along the X-axis. These turned out to be wrong:confused:. Never mind, I'll just fiddle with these as needed, but I'll keep the overall proportions and hope these aren't too far off. With these lines in place, and adjusted to where I think they should be, I can start filling in the spaces in between...
    87274.jpg87275.jpg87276.jpg
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    coming together nicely; when are we going to see the mesh? (btw, just started watching it on netflix)
    The final mesh? Hmm, might be a while... but I can say now that whatever stage it gets to it will be released. Been a while for me too, but the other day I caught the Pilot ep. on Tudou which prompted me to look at the older model, which started this off...

This is starting to get fun again, have to stop to check all these vertex positions before I skip to the other sections though.
    87284.jpg87285.jpg
    Skipping ahead to another section...
    87286.jpg87287.jpg
    One discrepancy with those plans is that they do not have the aqua return intakes, which were located at the tips of the "shoulders." They're visible on the Monogram kit model. I do not expect you to model this, but I thought I'd point it out should it pique your interest.

Keep it up. :thumb:
    Hmm, interest piqued! Ideally I'd like to have any known details added to the boat. Any screencaps you can link to?

Also I think we're on the same page re: terminology, but these shoulders?:
    87293.jpg
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    looking very good.
    but isnt she a bit short?

anyway im a big fan of sequest and will be following this with great intrest.
    Slowly getting there...

Couple o' renders of the progress so far and an old build shot of my older model to show the difference.
    87296.jpg87297.jpg87298.jpg
    Looks great :) the old one aint bad either ;)
    so will you be making the whiskers (WSKRS) aswell?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    jummmm nice work there hope you get to finish her she's really taking shape well
  • bryguy78bryguy780 Posts: 0Member
    Great work. I loved seaQuest back in the day when it was on, one of my favorites. I bought the entire series a couple of years ago and still pop in a DVD once in a while. I'm glad to see someone here modeling the boat. :thumb:
    Yes, that is the location of them.

You may see them here: http://www.zactomodels.com/pictures/Gallery%20pics/SeaQuest.jpg

There was an episode in which the intakes slid open to give the ship an emergency burst of speed. Unfortunately, I can't remember which episode this was. I want to say it was a third season episode, possibly "Chains of Command."
    Thanks guys, glad to have the audience.

omnipotent, re: W.S.K.R.S. Will definitely model those, but in two detail levels, one for close-up flybys and another low-poly version for wide angle ship shots. Hoping to replicate the lighting for those too.

Thanks DGWilliams, I'll have to try that. The geometry's no prob, but I'd like to see the source first to get an idea of how it works.

Not much got done today; it's 34A°C(93A°F) here, with no aircon Working in sections which is why there are a few gaps/seams, they'll get stitched together as each section progresses.

Anywho...
    87329.jpg87330.jpg
    BSiata wrote: »
    omnipotent, re: W.S.K.R.S. Will definitely model those, but in two detail levels, one for close-up flybys and another low-poly version for wide angle ship shots. Hoping to replicate the lighting for those too.

good to hear :) any chance we'll get to se an animation of these floating around Seaquest lighting and all?
    and things look like they are going well sry to hear about the aircon tho that must be murder :P
  • ScotchyScotchy171 Posts: 0Member
    Love SeaQuest (Season One FTW) and you're doing it right, Looking forward to seeing this mesh develop.
    Looking more like the ol' boat...
    87350.jpg87351.jpg87352.jpg87353.jpg
    Hmm, could it be this easy?
    87354.jpg
  • kjc733kjc733171 Posts: 0Member
    BSiata wrote: »
    Hmm, could it be this easy?
    Sometimes things just work out.
    You're doing a great job on a design that has many subtle complexities (which are virtually invisible until you run head first into them!). Keep up the good work.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Indeed. It looks great so far, I love what you're creating here.
    Two heads with no way to go. ;)
    Aft section with its odd upward sweep. I was half expecting that, by mirroring the forward section, I'd be creating difficulties for myself when it came to the differing contours near the engine. It is a lot of manual vertex shifting, but I think it'll work. Needs a bit more attention to smoothing in parts, but it's shaping up well.
    87371.jpg87372.jpg
  • Yo BSiata. I am getting a new computer friday with a DVD-rom drive. Want me to try to take a lot of screencaps of my 2 seasons of Seaquest for reference? (Btw, my email adress has Seaquest in its name lol). I was a HUGe fan of the series when i was real little. (I guess i was 7 or 8 when it came on)then i got to watch it again when i finally got cable when it was on Sci-Fi in 2000 and 2001. I am hoping they release the final season on dvd. I remember back i attempted to build a sea colony in blender to set your old Seaquest Mesh up in. Heh..epic fail. Know of any submarines available in blender i can put in the scene with your mesh?

If you ever get bored and want to build more to seaquest, there is a huge list of ideas. The Sealaunch, the Seatruck, the Seacrab, the HR Probe, the Stinger, The speeder, Darwin in his aquasuit, The base at Pearl, the drone from "The sincerest form of Flattery" , Macronisian attack subs, the bio-illuminescent giant squid (just kidding).

Heres somethng to base your color on i found on the web. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Seaquest-newcapequest.jpg and heres another http://sharetv.org/images/guide/345760.jpg. Just incase you needed to know what color this thing is outside of water.
    Yo BSiata. I am getting a new computer friday with a DVD-rom drive. Want me to try to take a lot of screencaps of my 2 seasons of Seaquest for reference? ...

Congrats on the new PC, always exciting. I'll let you know if there are any areas of the boat(s) that I need reference material for. It's good to have people on hand who know exactly what can be found in which episode, wouldn't know where to begin myself. Haven't seen the series on TV here in a while, not since the nineties! Loved it as a kid and was always pissed off if I missed it. Blender can be a bit daunting when you first start, but the advantage of underwater subjects is that you can hide the flaws in the dark.:D
    Know of any submarines available in blender i can put in the scene with your mesh?

Hmm, haven't seen any about for download, I do have an old low-poly Los Angeles class attack sub I can send you. It was one of my first models, so the detail's pretty low, but like I said above, that's less of a problem with sub-surface scenes. Be a bit odd having SQ and an old 688 together though, unless the U.S. sells off its older attack subs in the future.
    If you ever get bored and want to build more to seaquest, there is a huge list of ideas. The Sealaunch, the Seatruck, the Seacrab, the HR Probe...
    Lol, At the moment I have the SeaQuest, the W.S.K.R.S's, and a Sealaunch planned. Good ideas though, I'd forgotten the Seatruck.
    Heres somethng to base your color on i found on the web. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Seaquest-newcapequest.jpg and heres another http://sharetv.org/images/guide/345760.jpg. Just incase you needed to know what color this thing is outside of water.
    Cool, after I've got the geometry down, I'll start playing with the texturing. This was another thing I wasn't happy with on the old model. That's a interesting surface shot(The pilot?) shows off the greenish tint(specular highlights? hmm) on the hull.