Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTroop Transport

StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
edited June 2022 in Work in Progress #1
Latest Image:
w6hqg8058bnm.jpg

I've been trying to come up with a project I would like to actually finish. This might be the one. Built in Sketchup and rendered out with Kerk. It's fairly original not really based on any one universe. Let me know what you think...

Steve
86663.jpg
86664.jpg
86665.jpg
Post edited by Starrigger on
Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
scifieric
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    It's interesting. Is it meant to make combat landings, or just be the equivalent of Liberty ships? Putting the thrusters right between your boarding ramps seems dangerous to troopies.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    I'd say more of a liberty ship type craft from the looks of it. Those boarding ramps/tubes are major choke points allowing only what 1 or 2 guys out at a time, plus that is a heck of run to go down to "hit the beach."
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Looking at it again, I added small craft carrying capabilities. With 4 bays in the undercarriage, and toying with the thought of additional craft service space topside. It could become a Mobile Ops Center, or maybe a self contained Mobile Hospital unit?
    86671.jpg86672.jpg
    scifieric
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I really like the mobile hospital unit over all. I would put big landing jacks close to the ends of the landing legs, going up into the hull, as right now you have a large amount of bending force that would be applied to the landing legs as it is. The lower bays look great.
    scifieric
    cavebear wrote: »
    I really like the mobile hospital unit over all. I would put big landing jacks close to the ends of the landing legs, going up into the hull, as right now you have a large amount of bending force that would be applied to the landing legs as it is. The lower bays look great.

Yeah, that's the idea, just working on over all structure, I was thinking of retractable gear, but I don't know if it needs them. I think if I go with the hospital I will definitely need better access to the ship from the ground.
    Doesn't look like it would be able to move very fast in atmo, not with those big legs sticking out, nor does it look like it could handle reentry for the same reason. Exo-atm it would probably be fine. Same goes for the little hoppers, they don't look like they would handle well in atmo.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I think these craft (both large and small) would work fine in atmosphere, since it wouldn't need to move much faster than, say, a helicopter does. Would work best as a mobile command base, I think.

Those exit tubes look awfully small for exits. Perhaps enlarge them by 25 percent vertically, and double the width. That would give plenty of room for two people to pass each other to get inside. Also, a port every couple of meters on the tubes would probably be good, so that anyone moving through them wouldn't be blind to the situation outside. I also agree with Cavebear's assertion on the landing jacks, but I would make twin ones going to each leg, meeting at the foot itself and forming a V.
    Thanks for all the input! The gear are now retractable, below is an example of both deployed and stowed. I made the gangways wider (now almost 10 feet wide by 7 feet tall.) also added a possible support configuration for the gangway/feet and view ports, I will still need to add lighting though. I think I pretty close to a finished configuration - now on to the fun stuff (Details! :D)
    86693.jpg86694.jpg86695.jpg86696.jpg86697.jpg
    scifieric
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Modify the boarding ramps for personnel. They are tp complex to permit a rapid deployment of troops.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    I like how the landing ramps are part of the landing strut in the latest picture it works for me. Have you considered installing some troop elevators that lower from the middle section of the ship? That way you could move equipment and personal quickly if the need arises.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    That is looking much better :thumb:
    I like how the landing ramps are part of the landing strut in the latest picture it works for me. Have you considered installing some troop elevators that lower from the middle section of the ship? That way you could move equipment and personal quickly if the need arises.

I think your right, let me see what I can do...

But for now some details added
    86720.jpg86721.jpg86722.jpg
    scifieric
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    not much to say other than quality work. As simple as the overall shape is somehow it works, in a homeworld way
    scifieric
    Added Turrets and hull plating to the main hull
    86789.jpg86790.jpg
    scifieric
    The operator cage to weapon size ratio seems... off.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    The operator cage to weapon size ratio seems... off.

How about this?
    86797.jpg
    scifieric
    why not just remote pop out turrets?
    scifieric
    Knight26 wrote: »
    why not just remote pop out turrets?

probably more for looks then actual practicality :)
    scifieric
    That's better, but I'd still make 'em about fifty percent larger in both diameter and length.
    scifieric
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    Very nice... this might have been asked but what is it designed to land on, Earth Land planets, luna big ass space rock?
    scifieric
    Very nice... this might have been asked but what is it designed to land on, Earth Land planets, luna big ass space rock?

I see it being used in Human breathable atmospheres. If it was used for troop transport it would be away from any real action, I see it as being too bulky to be in the thick of battle. While the thread heading calls it a troop transporter, I think it is morphing into more of a portable command center. I am also toying with the idea of it being configured as a hospital ship as well.

Steve

Attached is a render with the new turrets.
    86814.jpg
    scifieric
    Hmm. The apparent arc of coverage on those turrets means that they're great for covering the egress, but perhaps more limited in any role but anti-personnel. Are you going to put some weapons on the dorsal surface?
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking at the turret placement, if you moved the forward most turret to the corner and the rear most one to its corner, they would cover a much large field of fire, while the other two turret would still be there to protect the middle.
    Just and idea, take it or leave it. :-)
    Pagrin wrote: »
    Looking at the turret placement, if you moved the forward most turret to the corner and the rear most one to its corner, they would cover a much large field of fire, while the other two turret would still be there to protect the middle.
    Just and idea, take it or leave it. :-)

I'll take it ;)
    Hmm. ... Are you going to put some weapons on the dorsal surface?

Like this?
    86840.jpg86841.jpg86842.jpg
    Gettin' closer, but remember that space is a 3D environment. Consider cupola turrets, so your ship can fire at things standing out from the hull further.
    Gettin' closer, but remember that space is a 3D environment. Consider cupola turrets, so your ship can fire at things standing out from the hull further.

Gotcha. Added the cupola turret on top, (why waste a good turret? :))

Also toying with a drop ship possibility. will need some additional work on the configuration, and docking structure on the main ship.

Steve
    86848.jpg86849.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Yep that's just what I had in mind. :-)
    Skycrane, loved that helicopter, here's my version. Docks port and starboard on the larger ship. the frame holding the aft engines still needs to be built.

Steve
    87592.jpg87593.jpg
    scifieric
    It bears a certain resemblance to Space: 1999's Eagle transporter. I like it.
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I like, though i'd personally beef up the landing legs a bit....