Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAlien (the Movie) related work I have started

StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
edited June 2022 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all, THis is my way of saying hello, glad to be here.

rhrza3kdv1ap.jpg

Right now I have my hands full of Alien related projects.

They are all being built in Sketchup, and most are renderred out in Kerkythea. with some animation work with Blender. I hope you enjoy.

Steve
Post edited by Starrigger on
Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
Tagged:

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Love Alien stuff and your's looks pretty nice especially the control bridge and the last pic of the Nostromo with the landing gear down. Also really like your Avatar too. I have a series of SF books that had this and other paintings of the same rig. Liked that truck a lot :)
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Here is some more:

The two landing gear image is actually in 3D (cross your eyes to see it)
    cavebear wrote: »
    Love Alien stuff and your's looks pretty nice especially the control bridge and the last pic of the Nostromo with the landing gear down. Also really like your Avatar too. I have a series of SF books that had this and other paintings of the same rig. Liked that truck a lot :)

Thanks Cavebear, you win the prize! You are the first to note the reference. Love those DeChancie books, the three books are some of my Favs, I would really like to see them as a movie, or a series maybe. I did create a Sketchup version of the truck, but it was one of my first and could really use a rework (Like my Nostromo that's out in the warehouse as well) my models in Sketchup warehouse

The original art work was done by a gentleman by the name of James Gurney http://www.jamesgurney.com/starriggers.html

and a nice tidbit about the covers: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2010/06/starrigger.html
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Here is some more:

The two landing gear image is actually in 3D (cross your eyes to see it)

Damn, that actually works!
    Thanks Cavebear, you win the prize! You are the first to note the reference. Love those DeChancie books, the three books are some of my Favs, I would really like to see them as a movie, or a series maybe. I did create a Sketchup version of the truck, but it was one of my first and could really use a rework (Like my Nostromo that's out in the warehouse as well) my models in Sketchup warehouse

Trucking across different planets at top speed just hoping the next highway on what ever planet you end up on is drivable. I always thought of the rig as kind of a space ship on wheels :cool:
    Just downloaded some of your stuff from the warehouse. Think I will play a little with them:devil:
    Just downloaded some of your stuff from the warehouse. Think I will play a little with them:devil:

Enjoy, Let me see what you come up with!:thumb:

Steve

PS don't know if you saw it Cavebear, but I added some information about the Starrigger illustrations above.
    Enjoy, Let me see what you come up with!:thumb:

Steve

PS don't know if you saw it Cavebear, but I added some information about the Starrigger illustrations above.

Just checked out Gurney's web page and blog. Cool :thumb:
    I had to spend about 40 minutes flipping reversed faces in the truck and re applying the paint. This must have been one of your early models but it shouldn't take too much to get it in shape.:)
    I had to spend about 40 minutes flipping reversed faces in the truck and re applying the paint. This must have been one of your early models ...

YEEEAAAHH.. Actually this was my first serious attempt at creating something I would post in the wild. :rolleyes:(It actually wasn't until recently that I realized how important keeping the normals straight was! ;) )

I had started building the interior but then moved on to other things. ( I never could find A way to mesh the cover design of the truck with the action in the story. I am thinking of designing my own truck to more closely mirror the story.)
    Well, the series opened up all kind of truck ideas. This one was certainly not the only truck in the universe and I thought of making my own back in high school for the Traveller game.
    Well, the series opened up all kind of truck ideas. This one was certainly not the only truck in the universe and I thought of making my own back in high school for the Traveller game.

Yes, that it did. If I build one I will post it in my other thread.

Steve
    That's the spirit!
    Some more shots of the Nostromo
    86483.jpg86484.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Nice work dont know how I missed this thread always wanted to do a nostromo or betty model, I saw your model on the 3d warehouse looks good keep going if you have any sketchup related questions let me know.
    Thanks Liam887, This one is actually a brand new rework, and will be much closer to screen accurate (I hope...)
    Here Is a test clip of my Nostromo with landing gear extending.

Steve
    Here Is a test clip of my Nostromo with landing gear extending.

Steve

Is this Nostromo done in SU too? If so how did you render the landing gear lowering and what rendering system did you use?
    Is this Nostromo done in SU too? If so how did you render the landing gear lowering and what rendering system did you use?

Yes it is modeled in SU. All the animation was done in Blender.

In order to get my models into Blender, I find the easiest way is to export it to Kerk XML file and then run that it through a Kerk to OBJ converter utility I came across. For the landing gear animation I found it easier to export all the individual moving parts separately, and then import them separately into Blender.

Steve
    Nostromo Hull Plating test 2
    86741.jpg
  • CifuCifu0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work!
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    http://johneaves.wordpress.com/page/6/

scroll down the page a bit and you'll see some excellent photos of the model.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Triton1Triton10 Posts: 0Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    http://johneaves.wordpress.com/page/6/

scroll down the page a bit and you'll see some excellent photos of the model.

The lost parts of the miniature that were recreated during the recent restoration differ from the shooting miniature. It is better to use the photographs taken of the shooting miniature during production of the film by model maker Martin Bower found at Martin Bower's Model World at http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/
    There are a number of really great sites for ref around the web including the ones you refer to. I found this one to be most useful:

http://www.alienexperience.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

I started my model over on this site, it has some terrific plans drawn up:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1522&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here's some really good shots of the "Restored" model:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazymodeler/sets/72157624056425158/
    ... and the details will take awhile :)
    86981.jpg
    edited June 2022 #26
    Starting work on one of my favorite Alien concept pieces that Ron Cobb did:

ibet0mgvegc4.jpg

Just beginning the layout, for now, his final design for the command chairs is standing in for the ones in this illustration I'll work on them later...

1shnxnv23yjn.jpg
    y5pazdha3hwu.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated..

Steve
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Drooooool. Hoping the 70s-ness of the drawing survives the rendering.
    edited June 2022 #28
    more progress...

i9f7burjwbn5.jpg
    edited June 2022 #29
    Working on the chairs... Going to have to rework the headrest I think...

x5tujabxaswc.jpg
    oxi8pcu9rfng.jpg
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome! :)
    edited June 2022 #31
    more progress. I moved the rear control area forward, because if I left it where it was, there would be a large void between the rear controls and the pilot seats...

uyvp0ngr64xe.jpg
    z9fugm8m7v2i.jpg
    om2u32mjpxcv.jpg
    ksz3rdk10hrt.jpg