Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

• AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    ^That's exactly my thought as well, Pagrin. I haven't yet decided on how to portray this station. The first two (with some more improvements to the 2nd one) would be meaningful to Major West as pilot.

The 3rd would be something meaningful to John Robinson and I thought should be relevant to the sensors. Hence the idea of the interstellar medium. But I need to re-examine that idea and the approach to it

If anyone has thoughts, let's hear 'em, thanks! :)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Well if it's relevant to the sensors on the ship, maybe some form of bar graphics showing different aspects of things outside. Like say, Radio signal strength, Oxygen and CO2 levels when in an atmosphere. Magnetic field displays. Hydrogen densities. And proximity readings for close encounters and or landing.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Pagrin wrote: »
    Well if it's relevant to the sensors on the ship, maybe some form of bar graphics showing different aspects of things outside. Like say, Radio signal strength, Oxygen and CO2 levels when in an atmosphere. Magnetic field displays. Hydrogen densities. And proximity readings for close encounters and or landing.

^ this
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Oh man, I love well-designed readout displays! They are just so much fun to watch, and these are very, very cool! Regarding the third console with the box grid display: The only change I'd make is turning the boxes into spheres. There's a solid red sphere in the center of the main display. I'd carry that out to the corresponding grid displays as well. This way the screen could be used for everything from detecting a planet's gravity, land mass, or weather patterns to a full 360 degree sweep of the space immediately surrounding the ship or even the condition of its space debris deflector system. As always, just tossing some ideas of there. In any case I'm still loving everything I see regarding this project and I'm looking forward to the next update.
  • CaptainRoopCaptainRoop0 Posts: 0Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Is the robot going to get any updates like that?

I was wondering that myself, seems like with all the improvements going on and updating screens, the robot's front chest plate area needs a vast make over. Those little round lights and things are a bit old fashion by today's standard. And of course that sliding glass panel they use to open to reach in and grab that small reel tape, that could all be replaced with so called USB drive slots now. But whatever the case we all love the B9 robot, in some ways I guess we all wish we could have one.
    An update to the right readout panel (John Robinson's station).

I figured I'd reach back into my memories - I actually had nearly 3 years of astrophysics at a Twin Cities university - and dig up some real info on the Interstellar Medium (ISM). I figured the three flat-panel readouts shown in the previous video would basically be 1) The ship's drive systems, 2) the sensor analysis of the surrounding space, and 3) the medium through which the ship travels. Of course with these panels being electronic, they can display just about anything needed but these would likely be the default settings.

So I've re-vamped the third panel with real data points from obscure astrophysics journals and mixed in with some pure graphical detail. So this would display the ISM's components and densities as the ship traveled through space. It will still change a bit no doubt.

The lower left sub-panel is of course a wink to the original B205 Electrodata consoles used in the show. :)
    pauldlbflo
    That's much better!
    It made me want to lean in closer so I could read it, which is just the effect you want.
    I like the little B205 display in the corner it's a nice nod to the original.
    I was wondering that myself, seems like with all the improvements going on and updating screens, the robot's front chest plate area needs a vast make over. Those little round lights and things are a bit old fashion by today's standard. And of course that sliding glass panel they use to open to reach in and grab that small reel tape, that could all be replaced with so called USB drive slots now. But whatever the case we all love the B9 robot, in some ways I guess we all wish we could have one.

That's a good point. The producers, however, have obtained the use of a full-size, remote-controlled B-9 robot that will be used, so the robot will not be CG. I don't think the owner will allow any changes to it, unless we can devise a false-font plate that could easily go over the existing faceplate.
    Avian wrote: »
    That's a good point. The producers, however, have obtained the use of a full-size, remote-controlled B-9 robot that will be used, so the robot will not be CG. I don't think the owner will allow any changes to it, unless we can devise a false-font plate that could easily go over the existing faceplate.

Oh Ok I understand. Well it just seems like something should be done if possible, like you said maybe a plate of some kind over the exsisting one, just to keep it current with what you are trying to do. We will see all kinds of updates modern screens inside but then see a robot that in some ways repersents days gone by. Yea we know it was days gone by and we still love him, but if you can bring him a bit more into the 21 century great. If not we understand.
    Here's a section through the ship, looking starboard.

sectionlookingstarboard.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    beautiful work...
  • Martok2112Martok21120 Posts: 0Member
    This is great work. An awesome redux of the J2. :)
    Thanks! That's very kind!

Here's a first pass at a defensive beam system. We reserved the raised area around the top dome for just such a purpose. Retractable hatches allow the system to be raised into position. It is gimballed so the cannon can fire at any angle. The mechanism needs to be much more detailed, but you get the point. The general aesthetics are drawn from the original series.

lasertest002.jpg

lasertest003.jpg
    A cutaway and a demonstration of defensive systems! I am loving this project! The care and thought you're putting into it is just awesome, Avian.
    Skillfully done.
    I really like the idea and design of the new laser.
    Very nicely done. Speaking of Lasers are we going to see an update Laser Pistol and or Laser Rifle?
  • noelnoel0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautifully done!

I am curious to see where the engine room will be located in future cross-sections (eg. the 'diving-bell' shaped engine Don West hoisted out, in the first season episode "The Raft".
    Also, how the chariot will look like positioned within cross sections to come.
    Here's a DIAGRAM of how the chariot ramp works with the larger Jupiter 2. Of course many more details will be added and things will change. The deck-to-ground clearance is such that the ramp cannot simply hinge downward. It must be lowered hydraulically first before it can pivot and release the chariot.

Furthermore, the height of the lower deck means it can only accommodate the chariot's chassis. The glass superstructure would have to be assembled. But this is consistent with the original series.

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    So if they land someplace that doesn't have a breathable atmosphere, they have to work in pressure suits before they can get the vehicle pressurized?
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Hay, my favorite elegant on a trampoline is back with another super cool Jupiter update.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    So if they land someplace that doesn't have a breathable atmosphere, they have to work in pressure suits before they can get the vehicle pressurized?

Or they wouldn't bother with pressurizing the Chariot at all. They'd simply operate it while wearing their spacesuits, which isn't too far removed from how astronauts must work outisde a breathable atmosphere today. Something like this could add more realism to the web series since it would show the difficulties of working in a hostile environment.
  • Ken69Ken690 Posts: 0Member
    Avian wrote: »
    Back again... :)

Been busy re-doing the J2 for the web series and I couldn't post updates until the official reveal, which was yesterday. Here are the schematic plans for the upper and lower decks. Operative word is schematic. Things will change as the series approaches the start of filming!

In one of the last Shows in the 3rd season. They showed the "Engine Room". Would this be in this J2 ?
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    An idea for the short third 'deck' would be to have the crawlspaces already mentioned for quick maintainence but also have the floor of the central common area on the living deck be double hinged pie wedge pannels that open up for major overhauls and things like that. The wedges would tip up against the doors of the cabins and fold to go accross the ceiling a little way (or just fold down against itself if it is short enough) if you choose to do it that way. A varient of that would be to have a telescoping mechanism of some kind lift that section of floor up for access though the pie wedges would probably look more impressive.

I seem to remember some mention of pumps on the chariot when they were using it to cross the inland sea though I could be wrong (I have not seen the episode in quite a while). If it leaks water I would imagine it is not very airtight either.
    Been gone for a while but I'm back with an update! I had to spend some time on another video project.

The new space pod is being worked out. The current version has fixed legs to recall the original. The two external "tanks" and forward top sensor are also nods. The triple viewport is in keeping with the J2. The rear door will be some sort of clamshell design, with more details to come. And the "grille" will likely change.

I haven't worked out the doors for the extendable claws yet and the claws themselves will undoubtedly undergo some revisions. If you have ideas, let 'em rip!

@BC - Thanks for the suggestion about the access to the engine core. I'll use that :)
    88727.jpg88728.jpg88729.jpg88730.jpg88731.jpg
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    LOVE IT!!

For the arms: How about, if they folded flush with the hull. No doors. (I ask; "does it need doors"? and "will it look cool this way?") Kind of like the way R2D2's blue arms are part of the overall body shape. I like progressPic002
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I was also thinking about the Pod's arms. Maybe they could be similar to the Robot's?
    I agree with Darth Ziggy's idea of the arm cover being part of the arm itself.
    I like the overall look of the pod.
    I think some sort of a hand hold near the sides of the doors would be handy. Assuming that you climb up into the pod using the rear landing leg as a step ladder.
    BTW Great to see an update.
    Ha! I knew why I liked to post here. Great suggestions. It didn't occur to me to make the covers part of the arms, or even question the idea to use covers at all. Sometimes I look at things so hard that I completely miss the obvious. ;) Thanks gang!

Regarding the access door, I've been going back and forth about utilizing a ladder or some kind of lift. If the Robot is designed to integrate with the Pod, then he needs to get in and out easily. But perhaps the Pod is configured to work like the Chariot. i.e. only the Robot's upper torso is installed - maybe a sort of "charging dock" so to speak.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Have you thought about telescoping arm segments?
    Hmmm Robot Hmmmm. What about a small deck plate which extends out directly in front of the door. Each side of the plate is attached to a telecoping arm. The Robot drives onto it. The Arms lower the deck to the ground.