Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    yiggy wrote: »
    Great Stuff!

When did the space program go all metric-y? :)

To add in a more practical answer: When NASA lost Billions of Dollars ($$$) due to a conversion error, causing a Mars probe to crash.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I was about to mention that same little mishap, Lizzy777. Despite the fact that the metric system never caught on with the general public in the US (mainly because the attempts to teach us were half-hearted at best), it is far easier to use within the scientific community.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I think all measurements should be in metric. Makes it simpler.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    I love that size comparison shot! It shows just how much thought you've put into this project. Something Capt. Donovan mentioned in his post reminded me of a topic I wanted to bring up. I know that the cockpit windows are recessed much further on your "J2 Mark 2" model so that the classic interior fits with the new larger size, but I realized that doing so really cuts down the pilot's peripheral vision. Of course with things like imaging sensors on board it isn't necessary to go looking out the window all the time, but it seems to me that the deeper recess creates some big blind spots on either side of the main window. If, heaven forbid, John Robinson or Don West should have to fly the ship by sight alone, those blind spots may pose something of a problem. I'm not trying to add any more frustration to what must be an extremely challenging build, but I'd be remiss in my duties as a member here if I didn't point this out.

Yes, you're right, the peripheral view is sacrificed somewhat, but perhaps less than it seems at first. I did quite a few studies of the view from within the ship. I posted one of these a couple of pages back but you can take a look again here... Pay little attention to the instrumentation. We're changing it somewhat (adding things such as holographic and heads-up displays) and here everything is just a placeholder.

The camera in the first pic is set back about 10 feet from the flight console, at an eye height of 5'8" above the floor. As you can see, neither the upper nor lower splay can be seen.

progresspic10flightdeck.jpg

Here, the camera is moved back to approximately where the astrogator is:

progresspic09flightdeck.jpg

When the camera moves closer to the viewport of course, the sidewalls of the splay can be seen. However in most cases the camera will be set back in the web series like it was in the TV show. Typically the actors would be silhouetted against the action happening outside so the result will be quite similar to the original.
    Well, then, I guess it wasn't really a problem after all. I was under the mistaken impression that the splays were box-like, cut back at right angles from the hull surface to the viewport window. I see now that they actually must flare away from the viewport, giving a much wider field-of-view for the pilots. Thank you for clearing that up for me, Avian.

P.S. Where did you find the animation for your avatar? Honestly, I could watch that elephant bounce on the trampoline all day. He looks like he's having such a good time!
  • Question, how does the Chariot sit in its garage? On the ramp? Or off? The next question is how is it tied down for transport inside, during transport?

Remember that the Jupiter 2 accelerates at ten g, which means that what ever ties it down, must be pretty capable.
    P.S. Where did you find the animation for your avatar? Honestly, I could watch that elephant bounce on the trampoline all day. He looks like he's having such a good time!

LOL. I don't remember where I got that avatar. I thought it was funny and totally appropriate to a CG forum though. :)
    Nick R. wrote: »
    Question, how does the Chariot sit in its garage? On the ramp? Or off? The next question is how is it tied down for transport inside, during transport?
    Remember that the Jupiter 2 accelerates at ten g, which means that what ever ties it down, must be pretty capable.

The Chariot's chassis sits exactly where it is indicated on the plan. It will likely be tied down with retractable floor clamps built into the Ramp. The superstructure is in storage next to the bay. This will parallel the original story where the Chariot is "assembled" shortly after the crash.
  • CaptainRoopCaptainRoop0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW this is really something. I stumbled on this by accident and I am sure glad I did, this is fantastic. Like many of you I was a huge fan of the original series and watch it faithfully every time it aired. Even now I catch episodes of it on Hulu and places like that. Speaking of the original series and since no one ask yet, has anybody contacted the original cast to see what they thought about it, get their opinions or even better get cameos in it? That would be great to see some of them here and there.

Speaking of one time episodes like the one mentioned showing the lower engine core (so to speak) are you going to have the J2 be equipped with any weapons? We know that they had those cheesy rockets, small missles or whatever you want to call them, in the last episode titled the "Junkman"
    so I had to ask if that is going to be on the list of one time things we saw back then? Who knows where it came out of on the ship but never the less it showed they had them.

Love the interiors and I am glad you are making the inside more modern for today's scifi look, great job. I will checking this thread on a regular bases for sure and will be one fan tuning in to the web series for sure.
  • cljohnston108cljohnston1080 Posts: 0Member
    Brilliant work! I only hope that the writing, acting and cinematography in this new series will be up to the same standard that you've set here.
    Hi all! Sorry for the hiatus but I was in Europe for two months and didn't have much of a chance to update this thread between the Oktoberfest beer-swilling in Munich and Amsterdam's "Coffee Houses." (I swear I didn't inhale!) ;)

The Lost in Space web series is still underway but it is now being developed simultaneously with a new Star Trek web series. So progress on both is slower, but still proceeding.

Here is a quick-n-dirty storyboard of the beginning of a crash sequence for LIS. IT'S A STORYBOARD. So don't worry about all the visual flaws (of which there are many!). I'm just trying to get across some of the energy of the planned series. Feel free to criticize camera angles, pacing, etc. This is just a first attempt and I'm perfectly willing to change a lot of things!

Granted, some of these shots are really just a screen test for the "new" Jupiter 2, to see how she photographs from various angles. The text slides are placeholders until I am able to replace them with fresh footage.
    pauldlbflo
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    It's good. it has a good sense of energy to the scene. It might be nice to have small "Jet" bursts near the outer lip of the ship, to show RCTs firing. At the moment she just seems to be wobbling for no real reason. RCT bursts would help make it look like she is being piloted.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Pagrin wrote: »
    It might be nice to have small "Jet" bursts near the outer lip of the ship, to show RCTs firing.

I'm going to voice the contrary opinion, here. Jupiter 2 has always had a reactionless drive system. Adding reaction control thrusters actually lowers the tech level of the ship, and makes it less impressive. Keep the reactionless maneuvering, please!
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    That is some majorly cool work!
    Pagrin wrote: »
    It's good. it has a good sense of energy to the scene. It might be nice to have small "Jet" bursts near the outer lip of the ship, to show RCTs firing. At the moment she just seems to be wobbling for no real reason. RCT bursts would help make it look like she is being piloted.

Actually you gave me an idea Pagrin! I do tend to agree with Walkyrje, that the new J2 would incorporate a reactionless drive system. But such a system - if not finely tuned - could lead to gyrations. If the ship is damaged enough to warrant a crash landing then perhaps it would be barely able to keep itself stabilized. The local self-generated gravity field might oscillate wildly.

Of course, the challenge would be to come up with some sort of unique visual effect (like you suggest) that indicates the field is distorting. Would a localized gravity field bend light? Possibly. And maybe it has other effects such as generating a cold-plasma discharge of some sort.

I'm also planning to incorporate other effects such as re-entry heating and vapor trails, etc.
    The vapor trails will help, show the ship wobbling etc. and indeed remove the need for RCT bursts.

While I see your point Walkyrje, the J2 had RCT in the show. They looked like a fire extinguisher burst coming out of the hull. Although it was never really clear just where it was coming out.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well an RCT would be nice but even without that it's looking really good :thumb: The lights on the bottom are very well-done. The main hull seems a bit bland to me but I guess it's the way it was ... keep it up anyway :D
    I don't think adding any kind of RCT effect (even a reactionless version showing changes to the ship's gravity field) is necessary. Actually, it might be something of a distraction. In my opinion, something like that is best indicated in the script: "Planetfall trajectory is fluctuating. Adjusting gravity fields to compensate," or something like that. Yeah, it's technobabble, but done sparingly it's usually effective enough. Not every operation of the ship needs to have a representative visual effect. The only problems I have are:
    1. The ship looks to be headed for a gas giant instead of a potentially habitable planet. If that's the case, the Robinsons wouldn't really need to worry about a crash landing. The J2 would be crushed while still in the planet's atmosphere.
    2. If the ship enters a planet's atmosphere belly-first (much like the Apollo missions or the space shuttle), it might not be a bad idea to add some extra shielding to the lower hull and come up with a way to cover the central reactor assembly. This might detract from the plan of having the J2 look as much like it did in the original series (only sized to proper scale), but it could also lend additional credibility to its operational capabilities.
    Just a thought. Overall, I love how this stuff is looking and I can't wait to see more.
    Glad to hear the LIS series is still underway. Just out of curiosity what is the new Star Trek Web Series? Is it that one they been showing on here, sort of GCI/animated or more real?

Will be looking for new updates now that you are back, nice video.
    On a slightly different note. What's the music you used in the clip?
    The soundtrack I used on that clip is royalty-free stock music from AudioMicro.com. They have thousands of clips, but so much is crap that you really have to wade through it to find even remotely interesting stuff.

The new Trek series will be a TOS-era effort revolving around the adventures of the Starship Yorktown. It is affiliated with (though not with the same actors) the current Starship Farragut series.
    I don't think adding any kind of RCT effect (even a reactionless version showing changes to the ship's gravity field) is necessary. Actually, it might be something of a distraction. In my opinion, something like that is best indicated in the script: "Planetfall trajectory is fluctuating. Adjusting gravity fields to compensate," or something like that. Yeah, it's technobabble, but done sparingly it's usually effective enough. Not every operation of the ship needs to have a representative visual effect. The only problems I have are:
    1. The ship looks to be headed for a gas giant instead of a potentially habitable planet. If that's the case, the Robinsons wouldn't really need to worry about a crash landing. The J2 would be crushed while still in the planet's atmosphere.
    2. If the ship enters a planet's atmosphere belly-first (much like the Apollo missions or the space shuttle), it might not be a bad idea to add some extra shielding to the lower hull and come up with a way to cover the central reactor assembly. This might detract from the plan of having the J2 look as much like it did in the original series (only sized to proper scale), but it could also lend additional credibility to its operational capabilities.
    Just a thought. Overall, I love how this stuff is looking and I can't wait to see more.

1) Yes, you are right. The planet I used was indeed Jupiter. I didn't bother with changing it for this particular test although the final will use a more earth-like planet.

2) You and I think alike! I have been toying with the idea of a retractable casing for the fusion core. In the expanded J2 there is space in the hull for something like that. Or perhaps the core itself logically morphs somehow.
    Thank you for the Star Trek Info.
    Also I posted this a couple of pages back but with you being gone for awhile I did not know if you went back and looked at slightly older post so I will re post part of what I said, there.

Speaking of one time episodes like the one mentioned showing the lower engine core (so to speak) are you going to have the new J2 be equipped with any weapons? We know that they had those cheesy rockets, small missles or whatever you want to call them, in the last episode titled the "Junkman"
    so I had to ask if that is going to be on the list of one time things we saw back then? Who knows where it came out of on the ship but never the less it showed they had them.

Love the interiors and I am glad you are making the inside more modern for today's scifi look, great job. I will checking this thread on a regular bases for sure and will be one fan tuning in to the web series for sure.
    Thank you for the Star Trek Info.
    Also I posted this a couple of pages back but with you being gone for awhile I did not know if you went back and looked at slightly older post so I will re post part of what I said, there.

Speaking of one time episodes like the one mentioned showing the lower engine core (so to speak) are you going to have the new J2 be equipped with any weapons? We know that they had those cheesy rockets, small missles or whatever you want to call them, in the last episode titled the "Junkman"

Yes, the new J2 has weapons. If you look closely at the videos already generated, you'll see a raised area of the hull surrounding the top sensor dome. This is not arbitrary. There is a defensive weapon system built into the J2 here. We haven't publicized that because we wanted to keep it as a surprise capability of the new Jupiter 2 for the web series. So I'm really not able to elaborate at this time.
    Avian wrote: »
    1)You and I think alike! I have been toying with the idea of a retractable casing for the fusion core. In the expanded J2 there is space in the hull for something like that. Or perhaps the core itself logically morphs somehow.

You and I thinking alike is a scary thought...and least it should be for you. Thinking like me has never done me any good, so I can't see how it would benefit you, either. :lol:

The fusion core retracting into the body of the J2 isn't a bad idea, as long as it isn't needed for re-entry. In fact, keeping it hidden inside the belly of the ship until it's needed for liftoff and spaceflight makes a lot of sense, especially since it had a nasty habit of crashing and burying its lower hull into the ground on the original series. Another possibility might be to have a ring of plates surrounding the core. Normally these plates would be flush with the ship's hull, but when needed they could swing down, cover the exposed area of the core (the spaces where we can see the rotating light effect), and lock into place with the framework around the core. Again, are simply some suggestions, but something like this woud give the J2 some interesting visual functionality.
  • arok60arok600 Posts: 0Member
    From watching the show, it seemed it would exit the ship 180 degrees from shown. Also from a safety point of view I would have put a wall with airlock there for direct access to the pod if the door was breached. Where did DR. Smith sleep the med bay? But enough of my nit picking you did a great Job.
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    OK..since i was a Big fan of the show as a Kid, i checked your thread. Looks like a nice project. Right now, i like your take on Jupiter. Right now, my main critic would be the model look like something out of Babylon 5, very game like and not realistic one bit. it lacks lots of exterior work to make it look "real" to me. It looks to much like one big simple singular surface right now.

Right now your Goal should be to get it to look photoreal instead of doing test animation. Once you nail that down, the rest will follow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Avian wrote: »
    The Lost in Space Robot had no name in the show, just "Robot." One of the last episodes in the series hinted that his name was actually "Gunter," which is an acronym for General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Robot. It was stamped on the Alpha Control shipping crate that the Robot came in.

...and in Japan he's officially named "Friday," arguably taking the whole Robinson Crusoe thing a bit too far. Every time LiS comes up, my wife is like, "Why isn't he named Friday? He should be named Friday!" :p

Your Jupiter 2 is looking great! Really nice job. The size comparison between yours and the original actually makes the original look weirdly small for an interstellar spaceship, to me. So my subconscious agrees that apparently you're doing something right!
    UPDATE

I am charged with delivering a new interpretation of the 3 original B205 Electrodata Consoles that were such a part of the TV series. The LOWER 3 consoles will eventually be updated as well.

So here is an early version of the attempt...
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I like that. I really like the swirly drive display.

Is the robot going to get any updates like that?
    I like the first two. They have the look of being meaningful information as well as actually having active real elements.
    However the third one doesn't grab me as much. I think its the blinking colored cubes. It looks to much like just a pretty graphic, and not enough like something a pilot might be getting guidance from.