Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DZohrath's Wing Commander Fleet

ZohrathZohrath0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone, I've been working on this model for ages, going though many revisions, I think this is model 8. I tried making a very smooth sub-d model several times, but now I've gone back to simply following the original blueprints, even if that gives the model fairly sharp edges. But it does look fast! So, being the first model I've managed to do in several years, I'm looking for critique. Most of the detailing remains to be done, modeling plates etc, but any comments are appreciated!
92517.jpg
Post edited by Zohrath on
Tagged:

• HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Zohrath wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I've been working on this model for ages, going though many revisions, I think this is model 8. I tried making a very smooth sub-d model several times, but now I've gone back to simply following the original blueprints, even if that gives the model fairly sharp edges. But it does look fast! So, being the first model I've managed to do in several years, I'm looking for critique. Most of the detailing remains to be done, modeling plates etc, but any comments are appreciated!

I've known you for some time but never actually thought you looked like Prince Thrak'hath Zohrath!!! If you wondering who I am.... TC should ring a bell, since I nagged you about making several 3d models... specifically the Krakatoa ;) (vesuvius for the Black Lance Head Quarters) .... Don't worry... started 3d myself ;) fun to see you show up here!!! PM for contact details so we can catch up? :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Good start, but I feel the wings could use some thickness, they look a bit flimsy.
  • ZohrathZohrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Some of the detaling is done, final cockpit model done, going to start on interior of it now, then detailing the middle part of the hull. Any merciless critique is welcome!
    85998.JPG85999.JPG86000.JPG
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Wow, suprised I didn't see this sooner. A nice solid start but a few comments. As Meph said, the wings looks flimsy, too thin, in fact even the fuselage looks a little flattened, it might need to be thickened a little. Back to the wings, you need to chamfer or fillet the leading and trailing edges, Rapiers were atmosphere capable, so those wings need to act as wings too. ALso those anhedral wing tips, the joint looks pretty flimsy, maybe fill that in.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I rather like the thin wings myself--bespeaks a higher tech level.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I digging all the old school flat, broad surfaces everywhere.
    I'm almost done with interior modeling. I'm not going for extreme detailing, most will be done with textures since almost none of it will really be visible from the outside.
    86011.jpg86012.jpg
    I like where this is going mate :)
    All the detailing done on the top side of the ship. I'm not sure about the under side yet, maybe I'll put proper landing gear on it, maybe not. With the plates and panels my thinking is basically that there should be some concievable use for each one, not just filling up the base mesh with stuff for it's own sake. Now it's time to learn texturing in modo. :)
    86039.jpg
    I like all the plating :) however something strikes me as odd about the front wings... can't put my finger on it :)
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Great work so far, keep it up!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. A very faithful rendition of the Rapier. Love it. :cool:
    I've been experimenting with materials over several months, mostly failures and abandonments, but I think I'm getting close to ok with the latest tests. This is with the basic hull material, no painted strips yet. Would love some advice.
    90275.jpg90276.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks quite good to me. You might experiment with burn marks form exhaust when entering atmospheres.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good. Leading edges of wings and fins need rounding
  • WolfieDWolfieD0 Posts: 0Member
    wow i loved wing commander, broke a joystick on number 3 or 4 i forget which one now lol thats a really sweet build you got going on, cant really give you any advice for texturing or paint im a afraid, my skill in texturing is practically zero, plus my memory for the original schemes is along with most of the other really important stuff, filed away in a drawn in the bottle of a locked filling cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying "beware of the leopard" heheh sorry (sleep deprevation is getting to me) heheh but i will just over words of encouragement to make up for my lack of technical knowledge ... i really am very anxious to see this completed :)
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the model. Reminds me of the old Clint Eastwood film 'Firefox'.
    Nice work with the materials! :) Due to the nice paneling on the wings, I'd consider some ever-so-slight panel texturing that differentiates those panels. Or at least different specular levels on those panels.
    That's definitely a good idea. I made a new texture since I wasn't happy with the base metal stuff, I'm close to satisfied with it now. Some lighter color on a few panels really made a difference too I think. I just need to tweak specular settings a bit, dirty it a bit more and add some colors and it'll be just about finished!
    90312.jpg90313.jpg90314.jpg90315.jpg
    Very nice. Have you considered doing some dirt in and around the deep panel lines on the wings? That would definitely help. The green paint looks excellent - Very nicely done.
    Yup, I did that last night!
    90332.jpg
    I made a Raptor to go with it as well. Need to tweak the texturing and cockpit.
    90352.jpg
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Wonderful ships, Zohrath! You're going to put me out of business! :)

I was never able to visualize the Rapier I as something so cool and sleek looking, great work!
    The Rapier looks great! Don't see a lot of people try to take her on. :)

One suggestion - I'd thin out the curves on the wings - At the moment they are very thick...Other than that, love it. :cool:
    Thanks for the comments both! I figured I might as well keep going, so it's time for a Hornet.
    90355.jpg
    Basic shape done, time for details and cockpit. (ugh!)
    90365.jpg
    Looking good, Zohrath. I'd suggest fattening those weapons barrels a little - they look very thin and breakable at the moment. :)
    I made them a bit thicker, but doing it more would veer off from my reference (http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/wc1hornetblueprint.gif) too much. It would be fun to put something more howitzer-like there though :)
    90378.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    That Hornet looks awesome... almost a Star Wars quality to it.