Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DImperial Ships Comparison Chart

• DornraxDornrax332 Posts: 38Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    LOL. Those ships have ridiculous lengths. I mean a 26km ship!? You'd need a crew in the millions to run that thing.

Which ones in particular have ridiculous lengths? And which ship is 26km? Are you referring to the SSD FEROCIOUS-CLASS designed by Jannik Mewes? That is going at 28.5 km as stated by the designer himself.

And yeah, going by the typical Star Wars Universe standards, if an EXECUTOR-CLASS going at the Star Wars canon length of 19 km needs approximately 200,000++ crew to run the ship, then a 28.5 km monster like the SSD FEROCIOUS-CLASS which has a much higher density would probably need more than double of crew personnel to run the ship and its multitude of weapons. I would tag that no. at approximately 800,000 crew personnel.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I was using 26km as a throw out to the ridiculous sizes these ships have. 800K people holy eff :
    With a ship that big a crewman could go his whole career on that ship and never see more than 2% of the entire thing.
  • TolbertTolbert331 Posts: 0Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    With a ship that big a crewman could go his whole career on that ship and never see more than 2% of the entire thing.

What a pity for him ;)

Seriously, those ships an crew sizes are part of the Star Wars universe, and they should refered in context to that.

Such things happen if somebody take a look on an aircraft carrier an scales everything up in proportion. This way you get 700 meter Dreadnoughts with about 30k crew. I always thought why not one of the starhip designers had the idea of some sort of automation, wich would reduce the crew size drasticaly. Actually we know that a SSD is able to be operated by a very small scelleton crew.

But as i stated it belongs to the Star Wars universe, just as Star Trek ships move to space vacuum like fighterplanes... ;)
    Tolbert wrote: »
    What a pity for him ;)

Seriously, those ships an crew sizes are part of the Star Wars universe, and they should refered in context to that.

Such things happen if somebody take a look on an aircraft carrier an scales everything up in proportion. This way you get 700 meter Dreadnoughts with about 30k crew. I always thought why not one of the starhip designers had the idea of some sort of automation, wich would reduce the crew size drasticaly. Actually we know that a SSD is able to be operated by a very small scelleton crew.

But as i stated it belongs to the Star Wars universe, just as Star Trek ships move to space vacuum like fighterplanes... ;)

Wow! Thinking about what Tovette & Tolbert wrote, it would make sense that most of the crew would not have seen each other at all during the course of serving on board 1 of these monsters. To structure and organize the whole hierarchy of inter departments, ie; Command, Astro Navigation, Engineering, Gunnery, Bomber/Fighter Squadron, Security Forces and not forgetting the guys that feed these groups, Cookhouse or Kitchen. The aforementioned are just the main crew.

For Planetary Assaults, we have the Commanders, Commandos, Troops, Pilots, Recon or Scouts, Engineers (Bombers/Fighters/Vehicles). It is typical in the Star Wars Universe that most of the Imperial Capital Ships, of certain sizes and above, have planetary forces to invade, quell rebellions & set up base of operations on the targeted planet.

That would mean another **** load amount of resources just to feed these buggers daily apart from the standard crew. Notwithstanding, the administration & logistics nightmare. The only way to reduce resources being consumed, admin & logistics executions and planning, is to have per-programmed advanced droids with a certain level of Artificial Intelligence, replacing some of the ship crews' duties as well as replacing a portion of Security & Planetary Assault troop numbers. Plus with certain level of automations built in to run the ship and handle standard threats, would require a Master Computer A.I. and hierarchy of inter-dept. Computer A.I.s to coordinate with overall tasks. That in my humble opinion would ease the Admiral & Command Structure's decision making efficiency and dissemination of orders. Otherwise, it would be simply chaos to manage these behemoths and the magnitude of crew and troops.

The Star Wars movies, much as I love them as a kid in 1977 up to the last shown in 2005, depict a simplistic & perhaps unrealistic aspect of how these capital ships are supposed to be run. But since I'm no naval expert, I can only imagine.

So when fans design a Star Wars non-canon Imperial capital ship and scales it up to the ginormous sizes we have seen, ie.; ASSERTOR-Class - 15 km, FEROCIOUS-Class - 28.5 km, TARKIN-Class - 52.5 km, IMPERIUM-Class - 260 km, etc.., I'm definitely not complaining and continue to look forward to their wonderful designs. I'm only be too happy to add them in my comparison charts to have a sense of scale against other ships of other genre.

Cheers
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Say you had a Ferocious class ship with acrew, of say, 600k. Something happens and half the crew mutiny. You've got 300,000 people in each faction. That's enough on either side to wage a huge war inside a SINGLE SHIP... to put it in perspective the Coalition forces that invaded Iraq in Gulf War 2 numbered around 250,000.
  • codys87codys870 Posts: 0Member
    this is like this inside the star wars universe, big and more biggest ships with crew and also droid for maintenance inside thoses starships.
    A number of droid sufficently important to serve and repair the ship during battles and that left all the human or living personnel inside in normal proportions for the common operations.
    If you not understand this, well, see how many mens are on board of a single airplane carrier...
    2000 ? 3000 ? for a single boat of 300 meters.

Why not ships of 26 km after all.
    Everything is possible if during a little moment someone take the time to use is brain...
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    On an older version of Sketchup........I designed one time........will have to re-do the ship design at some point, an SSD that was around 50 Kilometers. I called it a Superior Star Destroyer. The premise being that it only got built to the shell stage when old Palpatine gets hisself killed finally......As I told a critic over at SFM.......When your client ups and kicks the bucket......Whatcha gonna do?
    rwking wrote: »
    On an older version of Sketchup........I designed one time........will have to re-do the ship design at some point, an SSD that was around 50 Kilometers. I called it a Superior Star Destroyer. The premise being that it only got built to the shell stage when old Palpatine gets hisself killed finally......As I told a critic over at SFM.......When your client ups and kicks the bucket......Whatcha gonna do?

Whoa, another 50 km behemoth! I look forward to your design and here's a slight update on what I had been putting aside for the last 1 month+. An uncompleted Imperial Ships Comparison Chart & a start on the top side of the TARKIN-Class Super Star Dreadnought. Unfortunately, the managed attachments only allow a maximum length of 2500 dimension so what you are seeing is a drop in the quality & size of the originals as below:

a) Imperial Ships Comparison Chart = 6000 x 6000 pixels (original) scaled down to 2500 x 2500

b) TARKIN-Class Super Star Dreadnought = 5250 x 907 (original) scaled down to 2500 x 431

I seriously wonder how did Fractal or Jannik attach such large dimension pictures and in such amazing quality and sharpness in their threads?

Well, I know what I'd do if I had the resources, technology and manpower to build a 50 km Superior Star Destroyer. I will get my best super sales team & recon scouts to look for the other MOFFs & Fleet Admirals regrouping after the demise of their Emperor.

The sales team will do their sales pitch about how glorious and mighty these Imperial Remnants will be to own 1 of these 50 km monsters that will make the already respected EXECUTOR or ECLIPSE puny by comparison.

Based on the best buyer's offer matching that of the original client or more, the winning bidder will cough out a sizeable amount of upfront credits to allow me, the ship builder contractor, to continue the project, feed my staff comfortably and collect on the balance credits upon successful completion & delivery of ship. Of course, there are so many ways to write the ending. Bottomline, don't let the 50 km ship construction process stop! Ha
    86318.JPG86319.JPG
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Keep in mind tat at this size, visible windows are at least 50 meters in length. Why does a ship that big have so many huge windows?
    Conference rooms? Unlikely, it's a warship, not a consular ship (and if so it has a terribly high number of turrets for that rather peaceful task).
    VIP-rooms? Again, it's a warship, not a luxury-liner.
    Brass? Even a command-ship doesn't need to have so many brass officers...
    Btw, does anyone have a side profile of the Tyrant-Class Missile Cruiser measuring 4.6 km in length? The only picture I have of it is a very early top side rendering which I believe is done by Evillejedi for Star Wars: Warlords, mod for Homeworld 2. I sincerely hope to have a nice side profile so that I can insert it into the Imperial Ships Comparison Chart.

Actually the Imperial Ships Comparison Chart when completed will be renamed IMPERIAL REMNANT 1ST GRAND FLEET "ANNIHILATOR". Thus, the Tyrant-Class Missile Cruiser will play an important role in the fleet operations as a focused Tactical Strike Missile Cruiser despite refitting and upgrading all of the larger class ships with missile capability. Plus, I am designating the vessel as a production facility for various types of missiles to serve a multiude of attack strategies. At 4.6 km in length, why not make it possible if a 3.2 km length Silencer-Class World Devastator can churn out droids, fighters etc..?
    Aresius wrote: »
    Keep in mind tat at this size, visible windows are at least 50 meters in length. Why does a ship that big have so many huge windows?
    Conference rooms? Unlikely, it's a warship, not a consular ship (and if so it has a terribly high number of turrets for that rather peaceful task).
    VIP-rooms? Again, it's a warship, not a luxury-liner.
    Brass? Even a command-ship doesn't need to have so many brass officers...

You have a got a good point there, Aresius.

But sitting from my high balcony window with a view to the sea at night, I can see the large ships parked. As a guage, perhaps I am wrong, I judge their location at a distance of approximately 10 km from my line of sight. They are parked & spread out over a distance of approx. 15km+++ at sea. Btw, my place is approximately 3 km inland from the sea coast.

I know for certain 1 of their lights definitely do not even measure at 50 metres having been on board 1 of these cargo vessels before. But when you see them congregated together, they shine out very brightly in the dark skies at night. So I would imagine that in the darkness of space, bright lights congregated together can appear very glittering.

As for some of the brighter spots which seemingly look like very large windows, they are not. Along the ship's trench and at the rear, they are actually landing and launch bays. For a ship this size, again I would imagine it will not just be 1 or 2 landing or launch bays.

If I were to really follow the Executor in the Star Wars movies, beautiful and dazzling as it looks, the lights would be glittering all throughout the trenches, rear and most parts of the top. I tried that on this ship but it didn't turn out too well probably due to my lack of talent. Thus I decided to give the ship's lights a look of being congregated at certain points so as not to over glitter the effect.

Cheers
  • typical_unusualtypical_unusual61 Posts: 0Member
    Yeap... Good old Germany. ^^

I don`t know what happend with the Tarkin at Wolf's Shipyard. Some other SW designs are gone too.

Oh the texture looks fantastic. No doubt. :thumb:

No... the Tarkin II isn`t from me. Maybe basing on my version.

I visit wolf's shipyards often enough. I asked him about the "great purge" due to one of my own threads being deleted. It was an administrative accident when he was doing some maintenance......
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I know you're not done with these charts yet, but could you add credits? The images themselves should have credits, not just the thread text. Thanks :)

I originally put together the comparison chart with evillejedi's ships by adding my renders to his; white background are all renders from evillejedi, and renders on the black background are all from me. Assertor, Bellator, Allegiance, and ISD models from the comparison with JBJHJM's ship are all mine. Crix should be credited also where his designs appear.
    I know you're not done with these charts yet, but could you add credits? The images themselves should have credits, not just the thread text. Thanks :)

I originally put together the comparison chart with evillejedi's ships by adding my renders to his; white background are all renders from evillejedi, and renders on the black background are all from me. Assertor, Bellator, Allegiance, and ISD models from the comparison with JBJHJM's ship are all mine. Crix should be credited also where his designs appear.

Hi Fractal,

Yes, have done so and thanks. But after reducing the size from (6000 x 6000) to (2500 x 2500), can barely see the words and the quality of the whole picture dropped somewhat like before as per attached.

How did JBJHJM or you attach pictures like yours that maintains the clarity, sharpness & size into this site? From what I see in the Manage Attachment restrictions, the maximum size of the picture I can attach is only 2500 x 2500 pixels.

Plus, is there any software that can compress a picture from .bmp (Bitmap) into .jpeg or .jpg without sacrificing too much quality?

This rookie sincerely appreciates some good advice.

P.S. Wishful thinking on my part. If Crix does not mind (I'm already assuming he will be ecstatic) and if you ever decide to design a 3D version of the TARKIN-CLASS SUPER STAR DREADNOUGHT, oh boy...that will be the awesome of the awesomes knowing the kind of beautiful details you capture in all of your Imperial Ships/Fighters/Walker designs. Well, no harm wishing upon a star. :cool:
    86924.JPG
    You know what confuses me on this picture? The lower guns on the Tarkin-class are as big as an Imperator-class...
    When guns become ship-size, I think detailling has gone south.
    Aresius wrote: »
    You know what confuses me on this picture? The lower guns on the Tarkin-class are as big as an Imperator-class...
    When guns become ship-size, I think detailling has gone south.

I believe you are referring to the 6 extremely large cannons on the lower side. Yea, was thinking that too when I was trying to determine the texturing on that part. Was actually stuck there for a while then. :confused:

But due to keeping faithfully to the original line design by Crix Dorius (I didn't know yet when I 1st started) that you can see on the 1st page & post of this thread, my own lack of imagination as 1st time attempting this with basic software like Microsoft Paint, this is the best I could think of at the time. No excuses.
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    If you are recreating someone else's vision, concept, or idea........then you should stay with their general ideas.........incldsing ship size guns if need be. However, If you are INTERPRETING someone else's idea, concept, or vision, then this is where you can take your own artisitic license and reduce the size of said guns to a more realistic interpretation, or changing around a texture, oe rendering a certain look that might not be on the original.
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Dornrax wrote: »
    P.S. Wishful thinking on my part. If Crix does not mind (I'm already assuming he will be ecstatic) and if you ever decide to design a 3D version of the TARKIN-CLASS SUPER STAR DREADNOUGHT, oh boy...that will be the awesome of the awesomes knowing the kind of beautiful details you capture in all of your Imperial Ships/Fighters/Walker designs. Well, no harm wishing upon a star. :cool:

Oh... I would be ecstatic too, if he would just do my Flanker-Class Frigate. ^^
  • JBJHJMJBJHJM0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey guys! It's been a long time and I just found this thread. Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a slighty prickling in my fingers which makes me want to create another one. But I have too much other stuff to do at the moment. I don't know how Fractalsponge does this, but for me it was lots, lots, lots of work. Who knows, maybe I'll begin to *slowly* work on another one if I'm bored some day...
    Jeez, look at the time of tha last post, it's almost a year ago.
  • JBJHJMJBJHJM0 Posts: 0Member
    so what? ;)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    its necroposting obviously its a dead thread
  • typical_unusualtypical_unusual61 Posts: 0Member
    necroposting = bump
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    no really and u jsut necroed this damn thread again honestly i think a mod should lock it or delete it
    QUOTE=JBJHJM;540098]Hey guys! It's been a long time and I just found this thread. Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a slighty prickling in my fingers which makes me want to create another one. But I have too much other stuff to do at the moment. I don't know how Fractalsponge does this, but for me it was lots, lots, lots of work. Who knows, maybe I'll begin to *slowly* work on another one if I'm bored some day...[/QUOTE]

Hi JBJHJM,
    Am I really glad to know that you might get started on a new model. Please keep that slight prickling in your fingers as I am sure everyone will be eager to look forward to a new design from you. But I also understand its lots of work cos just using a super simple software like Microsoft Paint to texture Crix Dorius's "TARKIN-CLASS SUPER STAR DREADNOUGHT", I'm already finding it a challenge. Fractal has hit God level in the amount of detailing and efficiency when he churns out his designs. Guess this comes with talent, passion and practise. I believe you will find your own niche too.

As for having too much work to do at the moment, I've been in China for the last 5 months+ on a major project working side by side with businessmen, bankers etc. Most days we have meetings and at times partying at night with the young local girls is taking its toll on my health. Plus the workload and stress level does not help. Im amazed at the abundant amounts of energy my younger associates have when it comes to juggling work and these babes, but not for someone at my age of 42 years.

Having only my trusty laptop with a 15.6" wide-screen to work with in my hotel room, I found my eyes were squinting too much till I had to give up trying to carry on the texturing and touching up of further models like the "TARKIN II", Imperial Cruisers and Destroyers in what little spare time I can find and complete the "IMPERIAL SHIPS COMPARISON CHART". Really can't wait to finish this China project and be back in the comfort of my good old home where my 24" wide-screen LCD babies await me to carry on.

Thus, please keep this thread alive and like Arnie likes to say, I'll be back. Thank you all.

P.S. JBJHJM, I guess you might have forgotten. I made a request quite some time back if you could kindly post a FRONT, TOP and BACK view of your "ANNIHILATOR-CLASS AD FEROCIOUS"? Better still even more angle views of it and if you ever complete the bottom texturing, whoa!!! Its a beautiful design where even my own brother places it as his desktop. As for me, I always open 1 of Fractal's posters with his "ASSERTOR-CLASS" accompanied by Imperial Cruisers and Destroyers + your "ANNIHILATOR-CLASS" poster for inspiration. These 2 posters are my favourites of all time.
    Lastly, your "ESCORT CRUISER" is also a beautiful design and if you could kindly repost it as like the above request, I will really appreciate it. My sincere thanks. :D
  • I really hate to invoke foul necromancy upon a two-year dead thread, buuuut... I bring details regarding the Tarkin. The capsule description found here is accurate to the designer's original intent: http://rpggamer.org/page.php?page=2724

I should know... I dreamed the big bastard up a decade and a half back when I was younger and dumber. I still think the design is feasible, but with superships being a dime a dozen in Star Wars I'm pretty embarrassed by her. I think I've managed to successfully lose all copies of the even more ridiculous Tarkin-III. Man, I just didn't know when to quit back in the day...
    I really hate to invoke foul necromancy upon a two-year dead thread, buuuut... I bring details regarding the Tarkin. The capsule description found here is accurate to the designer's original intent: http://rpggamer.org/page.php?page=2724

I should know... I dreamed the big bastard up a decade and a half back when I was younger and dumber. I still think the design is feasible, but with superships being a dime a dozen in Star Wars I'm pretty embarrassed by her. I think I've managed to successfully lose all copies of the even more ridiculous Tarkin-III. Man, I just didn't know when to quit back in the day...

Frankly, am 45 years old, working my ass off in a harsh and practical reality world to make a living, years later since posting this thread and giving myself paltry excuses not to continue the Comparison Chart, seeing the criticisms posted, am awaiting inspiration once again with the new Star Wars franchise coming soon.

I have never forgotten that feeling back in 1978 when I 1st saw the underbelly of the Star Destroyer pursuing the ship Princess Leia was in, later seeing the Death Star in that same movie and thinking omg, then the Executor in TESB and other canon super weapons of the Empire.

So when I see greats like Fractal, JBJHJM and Eville Jedi and others putting their talents into rendering to life canon and non-canon ships, I thank God for Star Wars, Sci-Fi and the people who continue till this day. So why be embarrassed? Your Tarkin II design is beautiful and where fantasy and Sci-Fi come into 1 converging point, there is no limit to imagination.

If today's governments and corporations were to really put aside their differences and work as 1 united front, not destroy or shove under the carpet many technological advances due to domination and greed, we should be more advance than only seeing movies or games to feed our imagination and awe.

In any case, I am continuing though at a tremendously slow rate to bring to life your Tarkin II-Class design. Its below the uncompleted Tarkin-Class as a comparison. Plus, I will complete the Chart eventually if I am still alive. Though am going to have a headache cos found that the lengths & names of some ships have been updated. So my Chart will have to correspond in accordance. Sigh
    109454.jpg
    After finally laying off for so damn long (since 2010 to present which makes me 47 years old now) due to being unable to find an inspiration point, but having watched The Force Awakens & Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, seeing Fractal churning out new designs after designs that started a prickling in my veins, I decided to just buck it in and do it.

So completed the Tarkin II-Class Super Star Dreadnought that was originally conceived by Daniel Haughton and created by Mad Rabbit. Not too happy with my modification and texturing from my lack of patience & laziness. Probably due to my main goal in wanting to complete the Imperial Ships Comparison Chart based on the latest information changes in Wookieepedia + addition of Fractal's latest Imperial Capital Ships without again allowing a repeat of the super long lull period.

Fully understand the SWEU stories are after the Executor-Class, demise of the Eclipse, Eclipse II & Sovereign Classes Star Dreadnoughts/Super Star Destroyers, the Imperial Remnant changed requirements to cheaper, smaller and more efficient Star Destroyers like the Pellaeon & Imperious-Classes. Or if adhering to the canon movie story of The Force Awakens, the First Order's Resurgent-Class Battlecruiser and other suspected capital ships not yet revealed.

But assuming in an alternate Star Wars universe where the Imperial Remnant managed to unite together with a practical tolerance towards the New Republic including the many Alien races, embracing new ideologies and efficient Command structure by employing the use of sophisticated droids to replenish its dwindled human resources & having more automation, securing access to vast amounts of resources required, enticing many of Kuat Drive Yards best engineers and designers including engineers and designers stemming from some of the other major manufacturers like the Mon Calamari, Geonosians etc. for a consolidated combined effort in improving current + inventing new technologies, refitting and upgrading their current existing fleet + building new fleets to bolster their primary goal, to usher in a new era of Imperial idealism towards universal Galactic Order, Expansion, and Exploration into new star systems.

Despite the leadership's best of intentions in redefining Imperial ideologies and practices, ushering in a golden era of flourishing alliances, business, and trade through careful and tactful political strategies, as with any initial ideal goals, cases of dissension, discontent, greed, tactless and ruthless practices by some unscrupulous sector Moffs will cause civil wars within the Empire. Notwithstanding in the cause of exploration into unexplored space, the Empire uncovers new and very powerful advanced Alien races which are bent on the domination or destruction of all others. Thereby drawing on its alliances to present a united strength to counter the new threats.

As my belief goes, one is never too old to find new joy in the Star Wars Universe.
    111380.jpg
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Welcome back. :)

Like the finished projects of yours. :thumb:
    Thanks, really been too long.