Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTCS Midway (Wing Commander Prophecy)

Starman01Starman010 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Here is something I wanted to do for a long time. Actually, it was intended for the freespace engine, but I overgreebled it to much (but I want it too look good). Now the model has around 187 K polygons, that's too much for a model I think. Nevertheless, this is the biggest model I ever made, and I push Truespace 5 to the limits even displaying it.

Some might think why some parts lack the detail, but WC Models are not very detailed, which I actually find good. For a (war) spaceship it's more important to have armorplates than windows, just like today warships :)

I hope you like it :) (Click to enlarge the images)

midway01.jpg

Here are some more detail image :

Frontpart left :
midway02.jpg
Left Launchtubes (Exits) :
midway03.jpg
Sidegreebles :
midway04.jpg
Downside left Launchtubes :
midway05.jpg
Front :
midway06.jpg
Back/Up :
midway07.jpg
Back/Down :
midway08.jpg
Some weapons (6 Missile Launcher, 25 dual mounted Laserturrets)
midway09.jpg
Bridgetower and Nameplate (image some floodlights left and right of the name) :
midway09a.jpg
Left Hangar entrance :
midway10.jpg
Overgreebled :) :
midway11.jpg
Lower Bridge Section :
midway12.jpg
Size comparison :
midway13.jpg

Just to complete things : A few (but not all) of the greebles are done by "Jedilaw, Wayne Jones" and available in his free to use greeble pack
Post edited by Starman01 on
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Very nice, I love the midway design, except for the launch tubes, how are you getting the doors to work, openning out I take it? Would love to see how you rigged them, same with the recovery bay doors.
  • Starman01Starman010 Posts: 0Member
    Well, if this model will ever make it ingame, the doors will not be functional I'm afraid. Actually, as nicely as this ship design looks, it's "unlogic" in quite a few manners. Blair must have been drunk when designing it :) By looking at the geometry of either the tubes or the back hangarbay, there isn't even any room in the seiling where the doorhalfs could move into. Not to mention the stupid launch crane they had. From the video I would say, that more than 20% of the ships interior are empty space just for the crane moving a ridiculous long way to load a fighter in the catapult lauchtube. And by the speed of it, the ship would need around 1 Minute to reload a tube, making it launch 6 Fighters per Minute. Pretty stupid :) The vesuvius did that better, she will be my next one :)

Still, despite these flaws (WC is full of it), I really like the design of this ship. :)

(edit) One second thought, the doors will most likely not open to the side or top/bottom, but simply to the front or back. That way, it could work and there is enough room :)
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    No such thing as to much greebles ;) Just check Fractals stuff: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?2212-Star-Wars-projects-thread :)

Anyway, me like... almost makes me wanna grab my CD's again and start flying a Vampire :D
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    sadly I haven't been able to get WCP to work in XP :(
    I freakin' loved that game!
  • Starman01Starman010 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe because of the 3dfx, which died out. Check www.wcnews.com, there is a high resolution patch available that allows you to use higher resolutions and also to use Direct3d or Opengl. It should work well then :)
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    ooh I'll have to check it out
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    It's definitely not an exact model to Prophecy...more like a slightly exaggerated interpretation but it's good...handsomely detailed.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    I think it looks better then what was in game, even the cutscenes. And it especially looks better then the Arena version.