Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClassic BSG Landing bay

gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
edited November 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I have been working on this mesh for a while now , I have detailed the ceiling as much as I can .. this mesh is for the Fan Film that the Celestra was built for..
this is my third model I have completed ..(almost)

as with all the details of the Classic show .. there are few, very few .. :(

I am keeping as close to the look of the show as possible .. and have added a few new details.

the textures on the deck are only temps .. the one in shot was for the Celestra

(for my own interests would you make the model as close as the original as possible or redesign ... keeping some features and adding to it ..
with detailed supports every 10 or 20 feet .. and give it a tougher look ..
Post edited by gmd3d on
“You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

• halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Very nice, is the second pic the full length of the model, is it it much longer than shown?
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    hal wrote: »
    Very nice, is the second pic the full length of the model, is it it much longer than shown?

No i have half way down .. where it meets a large hatch .. in a sense it will have compartments . I post a picture of what I have in my mind ..
    Here is an old layout i did in 2005 .....

i am redoing this again using the mesh as a guide

floorplanhangerbay001mktw4.jpg
    here is a picture of the bay from above .. the deck travels down half of the Hull
    where there is a large Hatch .. (as the original Galactica does not have an opening at the far end..) so I am splitting into three parts ..

Area 1. The landing deck itself... on the Inner side close to the main Hull is a storage area .. Vipers can be parked here while waiting to be sent below to the main storage areas .. one deck below .

Area 2. after moving through the landing deck. Some Vipers and all shuttle craft
    also any visiting ship (ie:Eastern alliance ship) Pass through a large Hanger Door ..where there are larger Elevators that can lift the larger shuttle craft and slightly bigger ships up into the upper
    storage areas .. here you can find the LandRAMs . shuttles. spare parts etc.

Area 3. through a final large hanger Doors into a staging area .. here there are the Battlestar main support craft.. . for Fueling. repair. weaponry for Vipers there must be some form of heavy attack craft ..

what ahead of that you guess is as good as mine .

But if you have ideas the change or even better Improve on this . post it here
    please

:D :flippy:
  • TikeyTikey0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great!
    thanks . . Trial and Error its gone through a few variations before I settled on this :)

A minor up date on the plan

floorplanhangerbay001mktx7.th.jpg
    this was one of the first versions .. with the camera closer to the end of the bay .. I grew to dislike it and the panels along the walls ....I use textures for them .
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    huh, I always thought that the original BSG had flythrough bays, guess not
    No seems to be some kind of devices there . perhaps sensors or whatever ..
    ah ok, I always thought that the shuttles launched from the front, oh well.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    ah ok, I always thought that the shuttles launched from the front, oh well.
    :D I always thought they should launch from the front .. make some sense :)
    maybe it's all the fan designs that have the fly throughs that have me confused
    these where some of my earlier versions .. I will be remove them in a few days
    but I be interested in your thoughts ..
    hanger003vl4.jpg
    hanger007ek8.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    oooo...i'd love to see the updated hanger with the top pics light settings (and possibly textures by the looks of it). Got an excellent dark, moodly feel to it. :cool:

Great work Taranis. :thumb:
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    oooo...i'd love to see the updated hanger with the top pics light settings (and possibly textures by the looks of it). Got an excellent dark, moodly feel to it. :cool:

Great work Taranis. :thumb:
    That can be done .. I'll have it tomorrow or something close to it .. I sure I save the scene file :) ..
    Here is a new render of the bay .. I have reworked a lot of it ,,. reducing the poly count In this I have the bay Textured ..

a friend researched the bay deck design :) and it need a little reworking

I estimate I am 80% done on the modeling .. texturing well that a bit to go yet ..

sorry about it been so dark .... I was in a hurry to get to work ,:mad:

I will post a closer view later
    What else I am doing for the film ....

I am building the Laser cannon's and the surrounding area

cannon5ke1.jpg

snapshot20070331120404ig8.jpg

as always I either locate reference after I have almost finished the design or cannot find any at all :)

I did have a landRAM from the show .. but lost that and others in a crash a long while ago .. have the build the mother again ..
    here is a look at the texture of the deck as it stands .. need more work and more detail to the walls .. this I'll do with textures.. the red mark show were the landing light will be placed ..

In an attempt to give fans of the classic show views never planed or designed I want to fill the bay with "STUFF" to give a great sence of scale

..The two devices above the viper and the deck are heavy lifting gear .(needs work on the design)

I am not ready yet to tackle moveible arms..perhaps in the future

so I'm look for ideas ..
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    excellent.. yeah the old one didn't have fly through pods.. the model kit itself didn't have the sensor suite at the front.. just a hole.. some confusion there

the new bsg has flythough though...

great job.. looking forward to your texturing
    Here my work so far with the texturing .. The Viper in the Shot are rjandron and the Landing Gear on the Viper was made by Smallworld with a little alterations from me ..

sorry about the size of the pic .. it was only a test render ..

The texture are by me ..apart from the deck its self . a friend did that a few weeks ago while i focused on the wall and supports .. the bay has gone through
    a few refits as I was never happy with the look .. this one I more or less happy with to move on to the next stage . I have tried to capture the look seen in the matte painting used on the show ..
    Its been a long time since I posted the progress of this here .. well it finished and I have submitted it to the resources here.. its far from the way I wanted it to be .. and I took some license in areas ..

I hope some one can get some use from it.

as I have learn something from this one .. the next one will be better and hopefully quicker :D
    52194.JPG52195.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, headerworthy I would say.
    thanks biotech :)

at the moment I am building Landing Gear for the Vipers .. this is what I have so far ..
    52201.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Its a good start, they are notoriously hard to find good references for.
    I have some blueprints I discover some time ago ..
    its been awhile since I worked on this model ..

I wanted to address some issue of scale .. but I donA’t want to rebuild this model .. I am working on other projects as some of you may know, but this was calling me to at least make some fix..

I am putting it in this thread as I will at times tweak and add or refine things now and then.

I reduce the windows in the control area .. and added a hatch below and reduced the control panel to the right....

also reduced the scale of the triangular shapes where the Vipers are stored before going to there pens (that's my idea)
    85743.jpg85744.jpg
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great :) may ask if I can use it at some point in the prototype :)
    Looking great :) may ask if I can use it at some point in the prototype :)

yes no problem ...... you can use it or adapted it in any way to make it work in your project.

.... :)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    It looks good. In real life, I served aboard one of America's "super carriers," and the idea of planes parked out of the way during flight operations is a familiar one to me. You've obviously put some thought into it, and I like it. Now all you need are flight deck crew in pressure suits.