Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalColonial Marines Sphinx

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
The Sphinx originally began as an effort to design a long range heavy aerospace fighter bomber for the Colonial space-based forces (Navy and Marines) based on the Gryphon platform. However, as the craft moved forward in development, it began to look nothing at all like the original design, which looked like a more faceted Gryphon mk. II with variable-sweep wings. Eventually, the design came to incorporate the DRADIS array like the one in use on the Viper mk.II following Colonial Dynamics' merger with Graystone Aerospace; the final product resembled in several ways the Tauron War era Viper. The Sphinx first saw combat action towards the middle of the first Cylon War. It later saw action in peacekeeping operations on Tauron and Sagittaron following the war. Also, the Sphinx was immortalized in the cult sci-fi classic "Zero Hour" where due to a spacial anomaly, the Battlestar Nimrod is sent back to the time just before the Tauron attack on a Caprican luxury liner which led to involvement in the conflict. It also gained mainstream fame in the film "Gunslinger" which followed exploits of young aviators at the elite Colonial Fighter Weapons School (Gunslinger program) .

This particular aircraft is a member of the 76th Colonial Space Fighter Wing "Knights of Cydonia" based off of the Battlestar Nimrod during the CW 1. It's wearing the early war gray and red "High Vis" paint scheme.

The model is a combination of the Lindbergh F-8 crusader and a Revell Snaptite Tomcat that I hacked up and rearranged.

FILE0479.jpg
FILE0477.jpg
FILE0476.jpg
FILE0475.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

• salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Is it actually flying? or are these Photoshopped? I'm leaning towards the latter, but it just got 10x's cooler if it's the former.

Also, this thing is awesome, Very nice lines, kinda reminds me of the Blackburn Buccaneer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It actually is in the air, but not flying. I hung it off the ground using thread and a microphone stand. I used GIMP to take out the strings and add exhaust.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work, love it!
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool, now time for some presentation shots of the model so we can see the detail. ^^