Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClaptrap: Borderlands

13»

• The map for the chassis is 2048x2048...should have done 4096. I will punish myself for my lack of vision :lol: Sill learning, but I don't want to redo the map for the body. Nope, not gonna do it :p

The maps for the rest of the pieces are 1024 and 2048 and are small enough for that size map to work well.
  • Did a lot of work on this today. Need more coffee :argh:

And upon further inspection I may be forced to scale the chassis maps to bigger size. double :argh:
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Claptrap is looking great:thumb:
  • Finished!!!...minor tweaks excluded.

@tobian: You're right. I may rescale the map for the chassis yet. It really became apparent when I started applying the textures to the smaller parts that have relatively larger maps than the body does.

I have never worked on a big project like this and it being of my own volition, I surprised myself. I started it to learn more about modeling and especially texturing, something I avoided like the plague. Glad I took the time and frustration to learn it...well worth it.

I'll still be posting updates. Want to get the rig re-applied and render him in an environment other than the gray void. I would like to animate him -- that's the next thing to learn :)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    That looks superb! Nice work. It definitely wants to be 'staged' and a little animation of him would be great, but then rigging can be a mare of it's own too! :D
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Yup, looks pretty spot on to me, nice work! Making him dance is a must if you're animating him.
  • Thanks! Yeah, he will get animated, crude as it may be, and yes he will dance. He has too! I'll have to blow the dust off the game for reference...and maybe to shoot some stuff ;)
  • Going to jump back to getting a rig set up for Claptrap. I deviated to mess with the paint tools in Blender on this old model. Now on to rig the robot. :confused:
    Nicely done! I can see a few areas where it could use more polygons, but that's just me :)
  • tobian wrote: »
    Nicely done! I can see a few areas where it could use more polygons, but that's just me :)

yeah, I reduced polys considerably from a previous version. I didn't intend for it to be rendered as close up as I have here, so I left it alone. I did close shot so I could see the results of my scribbled map. Going to add a dish as this was initially the center spire of a radar-dish-like thing.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looking forward to the animations - this project cought my attention in the beginning and it's not losing its appeal so far :D
  • Looking forward to the animations - this project cought my attention in the beginning and it's not losing its appeal so far :D

Thanks, I'll try to keep it entertaining. :)

Eureka! Excited that I figured the rig out. Great lesson too, learned good deal over the nothing I knew before. Painful, but worth it. Might make a short video illustrating the controls. I just need to re-apply an armature to the arm objects. Can't wait to get this thing jumping around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow this is the coolest Claptrap EVER!! hey could you please send me the 3D mesh because i cant find the download for it, my email adress is [email protected] thanks bro.:)
  • ClayClay0 Posts: 17Member
    BreakLeg, that kind of request isn't exactly appropriate in an open forum. Perhaps PM the author? While this is a place to share ideas, and models for that matter, asking like that, especially on your first post devalues the creators mesh. Maybe he is releasing it for sale? Remember this is a professional kind of place (or so we'd hope). Save face and contribute to the thread. Like I said, that kind of thing is best left to PM's

-your friendly neighborhood mod.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks man did'nt really think about it like that, i'll apply the given advice:) Its just i"ve been scouring the internet trying to find a claptrap model (Borderlands is EPIC) so i can print it on the new 3D printer that my uncle got, and this is by far the best model i've ever seen:)
  • @Clay: thanks for that :thumb:

@BreakLeg: Thanks for your interest. I replied to your pm with a link for the first iteration of the model that I posted. I will be releasing this for download again when I finalize the textures and the rig.
  • I got around to re-painting the texture map for the body. Doubled the resolution to 4096. I think it worked out good. I'm probably only saying that because I want to be rid of this cursed abomination that has taken so many waking hours of my life. Be gone from my sight demon torture! Be gone!

I do still have to clean up the rig, make the controls more manageable :p
    Well it looks good for it in the end, nice work! :) If you think this is bad, try a bigger model!
  • Yes, I would probably need a straight-jacket on hand and a healthy dose of thorazine if I attempted something on the scale of your wicked station.:lol: