Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattleTech - BloodAsp Mech

2»

• Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    That makes sense considering there are hundreds of different 'mechs in the game. Each with different weapons, systems, etc.

Most BattleTech cockpits have these features: Comms display, Heat display, weapons displays, map display, weapon toggles, foot pedal controls, throttle controls, manipulator control (if it has hands), coolant vest ports, atmospheric vents, storage bins, fire extinguisher, foot locker, and in the case of InnerSphere units - Fusion Powered Potty and Mini Fridge! (No joke. It's canon BT.)

The trick is to make all of that fit into a small space.

Oh god lol I'm going to have to add that in seriously even if it is a clan mech!

@Fractal, I need to fix that segmentation, I think I either need to add more polys OR simply smooth the edges there.
    Another smallish update, I've finished the main torso now and just need to add all the weapons and their equipment on the rear of the torso. So now I'll be starting that then moving onto the arms ;) Not to far from being completed :)

mech014.jpg
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    looks crazy dude, well done. You've plowed through this thing at impressive speed.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    ...and in the case of InnerSphere units - Fusion Powered Potty and Mini Fridge! (No joke. It's canon BT.).

LOL, I wonder what the Clan pilots do then... They probably have a saying something like 'Real Clan Mechwarriors wear diapers!' or the just make sure that their cockpit has a decent layer of sawdust before going into battle...

Good job on the Mech mate. :thumb:
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771264 PNWPosts: 757Member
    Meph wrote: »
    LOL, I wonder what the Clan pilots do then... They probably have a saying something like 'Real Clan Mechwarriors wear diapers!' or the just make sure that their cockpit has a decent layer of sawdust before going into battle...

LOL!

Differences in strategy and purpose really. IS pilots will spend days, even weeks inside of their 'mechs during missions. Clan pilots serve a different purpose.

Battles between InnerSphere units mirror those of WWII and (if you've read the FedCom War storyline series) the US Civil War. Long engagements, deep maneuvers, weeks spent slogging through the mud, etc.

For the Clan pilots the prospect of war is more akin to prearranged skirmishes. Top level commanders have an objective, then a bidding war begins between their subordinates and rival Clan members. Who ever comes out with the lowest number of troops goes into battle against their foe. That's when the MechWarriors are called in. You have a quick battle. One side wins and the day is done.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Thanks for the Comments, Bodgan and Ward ;)
    For the Clan pilots the prospect of war is more akin to prearranged skirmishes. Top level commanders have an objective, then a bidding war begins between their subordinates and rival Clan members. Who ever comes out with the lowest number of troops goes into battle against their foe. That's when the MechWarriors are called in. You have a quick battle. One side wins and the day is done.

Untill they met the unhonorable Inner Sphere mech pilots who didn't know how to bid or fight one on one in honorable fights instead of 1 or more!
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks awesome.

But even if you don't model in a toilet, at least go for a working mini fridge!
    Thanks Armondikov, I was thinking of adding in a strippers pole aswell as the toilet and fridge ;)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Armondikov, I was thinking of adding in a strippers pole aswell as the toilet and fridge ;)

Well, if I was going to be cooped up in there for weeks on end, I'd install the full damn works! :cool:
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    hmm...

From what I remember of the old mw stuff it was something like, cockpit areas are barren of instruments, switches and screens because all pilots wear this neurohelmet/cooling vest getup that feeds all the relevant info directly into the pilots brain. There may be only basic controls in there like control stick and throttle and foot pedals but thats it. The entire cockpit area is an escape pod that ejects straight up and travels several miles away before it comes back down. The ejection is neccessary when the reactor is about to blow from overheating or too much damage.

I would think that with this stuff in mind you could just make the whole cockpit heavily armored and maybe some sort of rechargable airbag system in the event of serious collision and also to help keep the pilot alive as the escape pod comes crashing back down.
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Well, if I was going to be cooped up in there for weeks on end, I'd install the full damn works! :cool:

Ok then I'll add a revolving bed playboy style ;) Plus an oven or what ever their equiv is and a few other mods :p

@Tochiro76 - In Mechwarrior there are cockpit displays and stuff, it's shown a couplle of pages back. Plus the Battletech novels which is where Mechwarrior gets alot of it's inspiration from ;) Has cockpit screens for things such as start up and entering security codes blah blah blah. I proberly in tend to do the obvious controls and 3-4 screens.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Lol :d
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    I know in the games when you play in first person view there is a crapload of screens, keyboards, joysticks, levers and such. It actually looked quite similar to something like an airplanes cockpit, as comco said a few pages back. Not surprising since from what I remember I'm pretty sure original battletech was created by ex WW2 fighter pilot.
    I'd agree tht a mech would need to have such controls the NeuroHelmet only controls the mechs balance which is takes from the pilot via the helmet.

So I'd fancy seeing a keyboard, at least 3-4 monitors and joysticks, rudders etc. As mentioned a couple of posts back.

Plus the toilet, fridge, oven and revolving bed ;)
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Actually the mech gets it balance from a gyro system, throughout the various games there was always some required space for a gyro system in each mech. I think the neuro helmet makes the pilot feel more like the mech is their body and not just a machine. It probably ties into the detailed movements of the arms and legs based on what the pilot is looking at and thinking about. But I can't remember if the IS had neurohelmets or not? Maybe it was just the clanners. If anyone else here has an old old really old mechwarrior pc game manual you can find some references to this stuff in there. Thats what I've always liked about mechwarrior stories and games they always have a lot of detail that makes them seem more realistic and possible in the future.
    Tochiro76 wrote: »
    Actually the mech gets it balance from a gyro system, throughout the various games there was always some required space for a gyro system in each mech. I think the neuro helmet makes the pilot feel more like the mech is their body and not just a machine. It probably ties into the detailed movements of the arms and legs based on what the pilot is looking at and thinking about. But I can't remember if the IS had neurohelmets or not? Maybe it was just the clanners. If anyone else here has an old old really old mechwarrior pc game manual you can find some references to this stuff in there. Thats what I've always liked about mechwarrior stories and games they always have a lot of detail that makes them seem more realistic and possible in the future.

This info is straight from the battletech wiki so it's considered 'true to the novels', remember Mechwarrior is an adaption of the Battletech novels/boardgame and robotech
    A neurohelmet is a device that is critical to the functioning of BattleMechs. The neurohelmet fits over the head of a MechWarrior and connects pilot to machine. This allows the 'Mech to use its pilot's sense of balance to keep it upright.
    The neurohelmet also has a security function, in that it is attuned to the specific brainwaves of the pilot. This means that if an unauthorized individual puts on the helmet, that person will receive anything ranging from a headache to unconciousness.
    In the Battletech novel "Star Lord" one of the characters notes that the Inner Sphere neurohelmet is bulkier than the Clan version. However, this could be due to the dated technology of the 'Mech in question. In the Jade Phoenix Trilogy it is stated that there is a slight buzz audible when one dons a neurohelmet, and the problem does not appear fixable. Many novels also state that certain injuries such as inner ear problems or brain damage prevent a person from using a neurohelmet and thus a BattleMech.

Whilst a gyro does help with it's balace if it wasn't for the neurohelmet and pilot it wouldn't stay upright whilst moving.
    Evening all, been awhile since an update, thank real life for that :p

Anyway finally finished the guass rifle or auto cannon or what ever they are blah!

Next step, the arms!

mech015.jpg
    Well after a year or so I've finally picked the Bloodasp back up from it's dust covered corner and started finishing her off.

Arms are now completed and I've only got a small section on the back/head area to do to complete the model, then I might start learning how to rig and animate this beast.

Heres a render for now
    84827.jpg
    I'd hate to pick nits at this stage, but 19 missiles? The Prime variant has 6 tubes. The other missile armed version has twin 20 launchers, one in each arm.

Other than that, the model looks excellent! I'd love to see it with its Clan Star Adder paint job, (since it is a totem 'mech).
  • sarabandosarabando0 Posts: 0Member
    lols amazing man totaly unreal detail is godlike
    I'd hate to pick nits at this stage, but 19 missiles? The Prime variant has 6 tubes. The other missile armed version has twin 20 launchers, one in each arm.

Other than that, the model looks excellent! I'd love to see it with its Clan Star Adder paint job, (since it is a totem 'mech).

Not sure if you've reread the thread or not Lizzy but I'm just redoing Pavels original design of the bloodasp into obj format and plan on doing some other modifications to it once I've complete the remake/fix up plus possibly animate/rig the beast.
    I'm not taking any credit for the actual design just the remake to obj etc. Though I'd love to make a full cockpit interior and some alternative weapon pods for it.
    Not sure if you've reread the thread or not Lizzy but I'm just redoing Pavels original design of the bloodasp into obj format and plan on doing some other modifications to it once I've complete the remake/fix up plus possibly animate/rig the beast.
    I'm not taking any credit for the actual design just the remake to obj etc. Though I'd love to make a full cockpit interior and some alternative weapon pods for it.

Oh right! I'd forgotten! LOL In fact I did reply to this thread MUCH earlier and knew this fact.

Feel free to give me the apropriate /Facepalm.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Awesome...always great to see a nice mech around. Oh how I miss Mechwarrior 2!!
    Oh right! I'd forgotten! LOL In fact I did reply to this thread MUCH earlier and knew this fact.

Feel free to give me the apropriate /Facepalm.

Awww can't I bitchslap ya instead?

Will most likely have an update tonight with a completed model! Just have to finish a back section and she's done modelling wise for the original version.

@Japetus, yer to few mechs on these forums, to many other ships ;)
    Awww can't I bitchslap ya instead?

No.
    No.

Spoilsport :p
    Update as promised, all the modelling is now complete for the remake of Pavels Bloodasp into Maya.

Next step will be materials, cockpit and then rigging the beast (When I learn it as I go lol )

Will do some ortho renders later as I'm having some issues getting occlusion render setup to finish rendering without crashing maya.
    84928.jpg
    Orthos as promised
    84929.jpg
    Good conversion of Czarneki's model.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    @Japetus, yer to few mechs on these forums, to many other ships ;)

Maybe I'll have to help you out and model a mech next too! ;)