Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpheric Ship

frostrubinfrostrubin331 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi,
after a long time reading this forum. I decided to post my first sci-fi WIP. (first post on this forum anyway)
ItA’s a small ship (A? 60 m) that fits in the Perry Rhodan Universe.

wip_60m_korvette_05_by_frostrubin-d2xwbam.jpg
wip_60m_korvette_04_by_frostrubin-d2xwb8o.jpg
wip_60m_korvette_02_by_frostrubin-d2xwb0q.jpg
wip_60m_korvette_by_frostrubin-d2xwav2.jpg
84837.jpg
Post edited by frostrubin on
SJ05.jpg 193.5K
Tagged:

• frostrubinfrostrubin331 Posts: 0Member
    two detail shots.
    84192.jpg84193.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    It's larger than it looks. Without that litle red dude hanging about, I wasn't quite sure of the scale. The ship looks good so far, but why does it come apart like that?
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    That looks really nice so far :)
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    It's larger than it looks. Without that litle red dude hanging about, I wasn't quite sure of the scale. The ship looks good so far, but why does it come apart like that?

I'd guess it's one of the multi-purpose ships. The central ring can be replaced to accommodate mission-specific equipment.
    And the top-portion looks like a 'Space-Jet' - a kind of large shuttle.
    ST-One wrote: »
    That looks really nice so far :)

I'd guess it's one of the multi-purpose ships. The central ring can be replaced to accommodate mission-specific equipment.
    And the top-portion looks like a 'Space-Jet' - a kind of large shuttle.

ThatA’s absolute correct! I donA’t know there are people on this forum that are firm with PR :thumb:
    a little update:
    still detailing the mainhull and the ring modules before I going to the shuttle.

sideview
    Korvette07.jpg

front
    Korvette08.jpg

Korvette09.jpg

bottom
    Korvette10.jpg
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool. I wish sketchup worked better with curved surfaces.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    What are you doing it in?
    frostrubin wrote: »
    ThatA’s absolute correct! I donA’t know there are people on this forum that are firm with PR :thumb:

Well, not really firm. But since they reissued the series as eBooks I've started to read it from Heft Nr. 1 - before that I've only read a few issues over 10 years ago.

Oh, and those are pretty cool updates.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    that's real great stuff. it gives a perspective, how this PR related ship's could look in reality. thnx.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Yeah, at last another ship from the perryverse :D
    Well done frostrubin! Any ideas about the textures yet??
    Chanur wrote: »
    Yeah, at last another ship from the perryverse :D
    Well done frostrubin! Any ideas about the textures yet??

No not yet. But I donA’t like the most renders of PR ships. IA’ll try to make it look a little bit different...:p
    looking forward to see it... :)
    I fix the location of the hangar. ItA’s a kind of flight through deck (called "Roll on Roll off" in the PR universe) The center part is shared with the Space-Jet.
    84269.jpg84270.jpg84271.jpg84272.jpg
    What do you use as reference for this Kugelraumer?
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I'm not familiar with the universe this ship is designed for, but I really like what you've got so far. :)
    Well Perry Rhodan is a german, weekly dime novel series, wich is running since 1961.
    To date there are 2559 episodes!! The series has been translated to many other languages.

Here you can see some pics of ships of the "Perryverse":

http://www.google.de/images?um=1&hl=de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&tbs=isch%3A1%2Cisz%3Alt%2Cislt%3Asvga&sa=1&q=%22perry+rhodan%22+risszeichnung&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=#q=%22perry+rhodan%22+risszeichnung&um=1&hl=de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&tbs=isch:1&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=NE-FTJyuEo6UjAfL9K2PCA&ved=0CAYQpwU

And here's the U.S. version of the PR homepage:

http://www.perry-rhodan.us/
    What do you use as reference for this Kugelraumer?
    IA’m using the cut-aways drawings as an inspiration (published every 4th. novel) here are the collection of the artists (sorry only in German) -> http://rz-journal.de/Html/RZ-2500-2600.html
    http://rz-journal.de/Html/DB-2500-2600.html
    frostrubin wrote: »
    IA’m using the cut-aways drawings as an inspiration (published every 4th. novel) here are the collection of the artists (sorry only in German) -> http://rz-journal.de/Html/RZ-2500-2600.html
    http://rz-journal.de/Html/DB-2500-2600.html

Ah, I thought as much... It's not really a problem that it's in German, da ich selbst auch Deutscher bin, sollte mir das Lesen recht leicht fallen ;)
  • Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
    This is great. Some of the Perry Rhodan ships look really nice as meshes - more so than they do as 2D artwork, IMAO.
  • KilminsterKilminster0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, especially the early cutaways were a bit crude (drawn by Rudolf Zengerle). And the painter for the frontpages of the first 1800 issues often ignored what the authors told him about the look of the ships so he drew quite a few spherical ships without the equatorial half-torus for the engines. (Does anybody know a good english translation for "Ringwulst" ? ;) ).

I like the way this Baby looks so far. Pretty good job.
    Centre-bulge?.... no... that doesn't sound right ;)

I don't think there is a good translation for that word (ring-bulge?). Interpretation would be better than translation here: engine-ring, equator-ring...
    Kilminster wrote: »
    Well, especially the early cutaways were a bit crude (drawn by Rudolf Zengerle). And the painter for the frontpages of the first 1800 issues often ignored what the authors told him about the look of the ships so he drew quite a few spherical ships without the equatorial half-torus for the engines. (Does anybody know a good english translation for "Ringwulst" ? ;) ).

I like the way this Baby looks so far. Pretty good job.

Thanks.
    There is a periode that Ships doesnA’t need the "ring extension" for the engines. After the "Hyperimpedanz Schock" - a change of the natural constant of hyperspace - they got their revival in case of technical downgrade.

I got a little update on the hull and the ring segments:
    84500.jpg84501.jpg84502.jpg84503.jpg84504.jpg
    Mhmm... I don't think these lines/panels on the ship's main body work very well; they seem to large and make the mesh look segmented (I guess you used the sphere's existing geometry?) and they are too regular.
    Maybe if you'd made them smaller and spaced them further apart like on a Trek-ship...
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well to me the panels look good but I suggest you use something to break up the patterns, maybe another layer of smaller plates. The rest is looking really good :thumb:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I wonder if you might have this extend its equatorial segments out away from it as a station design...
    Mhmm... I don't think these lines/panels on the ship's main body work very well; they seem to large and make the mesh look segmented (I guess you used the sphere's existing geometry?) and they are too regular.
    Maybe if you'd made them smaller and spaced them further apart like on a Trek-ship...
    Well to me the panels look good but I suggest you use something to break up the patterns, maybe another layer of smaller plates. The rest is looking really good Click here to enlarge

IA’ve chosen that regular segments to pay attention of the modular concept. But the panels/plates will get more details later with texture.
  • francisdrakefrancisdrake0 Posts: 0Member
    "Ringwulst" might be translated as "belly bulge" :)
    US english is often quite figurative, referring to parts of the human body.

Nice work, btw!
    I started mess around with Space-Jet (the top docked shuttle) bridge and deck structures...
    84742.jpg84743.jpg
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    ah, i look forward to that design too....
    I fix the position of the decks. Also added the airlocks and the antigravity tube (a kind of lift without a cabin)
    green: bridge deck
    blue / grey: main deck
    red: main corridor with airlock
    yellow: hangar
    turquoise: antigravity tube
    84837.jpg84838.jpg84839.jpg84840.jpg