Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPoint defense turret

Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I'm making point defense turrets for my ship, this is what I have so far. I like it but it comes in at 20K verts, and a standard destroyer will have 12, I hope I don't chug my system too much. Maybe I'll do a lot poly version sand subsurfing and edge splitting for distant shots.

pdt2.jpg

PDturret.jpg

As for rational, the weapons have 3 barrels as a tribute to david drake;s hammer's slammers novels in which tribarrelled "powerguns" are the point defense weapon of choice for many vehicles. The projection above them houses targeting scopes. Originally this was going to be recesses into the turret but I could not get it right, so I extruded it outward instead. Hey, i think it ended up looking better so it was a fortunate problem.

The thing sticking out the rear of the weapon mounts ia a housing for the rotary motor, i was thinking it might be too long to fit in the housing and didn't want to redo the sizes. Adds detail too.
84266.jpg
Post edited by Judge Death on
Tagged:

• Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi there,
    first of all, great design. Second, 20K verts??? Are you mad? :D No, just kiddin... use smooth button, for example all that minigun barrels could be made from 8 faced mesh... then click smooth button and autosmooth button and have same result, with less than 1K verts.
    The thing sticking out the rear of the weapon mounts ia a housing for the rotary motor, i was thinking it might be too long to fit in the housing and didn't want to redo the sizes. Adds detail too.
    It is ok, just make some pedestial for turret so it do not rotate into ship hull...

See you next time
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I agree with the barrels. They're very nice, but such a small thingy (since it's there several times) can easiy blow the count beyong Alpha Centauri.

@Dr.Sleep: Is it just me or does that avatar-guy of yours bear some resemblance to the Tenth Doctor?
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    @Aresius: Yep. Self made from videoclip "An Awful lot of Running"
    (sorry for off-topic) :D
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    turret8.jpg