Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender star fleet

zubruuzubruu0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi everyone,
After watching several threads here, I decided to start my own WIP. I hope you will help me improve my modeling skills. I'm not an artist, only hobby. Now I'm planning to make some sort of move in BSG style. Here is my Viper MK II model i made about half year ago, and model, I'm working currently, of BSG style frigate. Textures are not mine;) Never been good at making them.

Any comments and help are really welcome.

EDIT:
All my current work and current WIP:

Colonial Viper:
viper.jpg

Colonial light ship:
tiger-ost.jpg

Cylon raider:
raider1.jpg

Current WIP:
b2.jpg
b1.jpg
84226.jpg
83864.jpg
84228.jpg
84227.jpg
82849.jpg
Post edited by zubruu on

• Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Zubru, really nice detailed texturing. You have a great start in the basic hull structure of the battle star. The launch bays need a teensy bit of work, but you have the mesh set for a little judicious extruding
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    It seems kind of odd that you've got those external runways like that. I mean, it's just the sort of thing that the shielded (that is, protected by armor on all sides) landing bays and the launch tubes were probably designed to avoid. As it is, it'd just take one lucky hit to shut down all launches and retrieval on that entire side of the ship.

As I understand it, the concept of the bays+tubes is this: The bays allow retrieval (with a decent margin of error). If the bays get shot up, they're big enough that the debris won't completely shut down retrieval operations. The launch tubes allow fighters to launch at high speed, clearing the space around the battlestar relatively quickly, so even if the battlestar is being pummeled, the fighters still have a chance to get into the battle. Also, there are many launch tubes, so to prevent the battlestar from deploying its fightercraft, they'd have to all be damaged. Even then, it would still be possible to exit the bays, although fighters exiting at the ends of the bays would have the disadvantage of being slower targets flying through a choke-point.
  • zubruuzubruu0 Posts: 0Member
    I place runway outside because it is quite small ship.I thought all about place that is needed for ammo, food water, quoters, and so stuff... If I place a launch tubes, I will need an iner hangar, tubes that will take all wing of ship. But you are right, maybe I will do some huge heavy hangar doors that will cover this landing bay I have. When vipers will need to start or land they will open, but normaly will be close.
    I hope I will make some update next week... I love exams time on University ;)
    Thanks for comments and advices.
    Finally an update;) I decided to place landing bay, with lunching equpment inside, simillar to Cyngus.
    No I'm working on interior of hangar bay. Comments and sugestions always welcome:)
    82382.jpg82383.jpg82384.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i liked the external landing bay more. especialy the inclined end. looked a bit like the russian style aircraft carriers. they have no catapult but instead a kind of springboard ramp.
    its good to think about machinery and human needs. water tanks, spare pieces stores, crew quaters and so on. lots of people tend to forget that.

your turrets (the smaler ones) look really starwarish. not a bad thing in itself, but they dont blend so well with the others...
    (i mean, they are 2 distinct styles. too distinct.)

good job
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 72Member
    Wow! Beautiful work, looking good!
    Hi everyone, still working on the ship.

Meanwhile, I'm working on minigun defence on the ship. I want ito to throw out shells. I use particle system with obcject visualisation. And now there is a problem. Shells don't rotate as the gun. On image you can see what I mean. Can anybody help me with it?

Edit: Ok I found resolution. Small update, add some shield, airlock and first minigun test ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLBREcSl5o
    82566.jpg82567.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Some very nice work there.
    Thanks for comments :)
    Little progres... New renders.
    What should I add on the 'wings' and the back side? How improve it?

And some main gun test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6kvGzNec_c

Like always waiting for comments;)
    82639.jpg82640.jpg82641.jpg82642.jpg
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    make shallow hollow and add some nurnies :D Very nice model btw.
    Ok,
    I've made a cylon raider now. I think it's look quite nice;) Textures I took from internet, there wasn't author on it. I have to improve my uv mapping;)

Enjoy
    comments and advices are always welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOFRSn9Z0S0
    82849.jpg82850.jpg82851.jpg
  • Gog3t3kGog3t3k0 Posts: 0Member
    Your ship is cool ;P Are you using normal/bump maps ?
    I use bump maps;)
    No updates, because I'm working on short animation, so I'll post it when ready;)
    After long time, I.m ready to upload something. It took me lot more time then I expected. Plus I have to work and SC2 is a great game XD
    Ok, here is my short animation. I know it is no perfect, however I decided to finish it for now, to start working on somethig else.
    C&C always welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HordQrYowg
    Ok, i've started new procjet. Here is engine. As always please comment:)
    83864.jpg
    I suspect thatA’s gonna be a fighter engine! :D Nice one, but it looks kinda small in thruster area... (my opinion)
    We will see when rest of the model is ready, maybay I will put some changes. How can I change main thread photo? T
    Ok here's new fragment of the fighter;) I didn't want the circle to get too smooth so I used few vets.
    Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.
    84226.jpg
    b2.jpg 196.8K
    Nice, I really like that type of machines. Since I saw Manta from UT 2004 for the first time :D Really looking forward to it
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

You can make your object look smooth by selecting the object then hit the smooth button. That way you don't have to use a bazillion verts. :)

Brian