Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

• Okay what does the Jupiter I look like?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I think Jupiter 1 is the shell that carried the ship into space. Of course that's the movie version, but I don't know if they ever mentioned it in the show.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Yes, I know the movie.

As far as I know, the Jupiter I had to be a seperate ship.

Try Hulu, No Place to Hide is the pilot episode. Quite good for its time.
    So where is your web series going to be?
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    So where is your web series going to be?

On the web.. :)

Seriously, the site is lostinspacethewebseries. Sign-up is free!
    Here are a couple more pics. (Haven't worked on it much lately as I am traveling right now.)

A close-up of the main viewport and a progress pic of the extended main airlock.
    84321.jpg84322.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    This is looking really nice :thumb: Both the interior and exterior have very good lighting and materials setup so far. Keep it up !
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I want to live in this ship!! When can I move in?
    So when does this series premier?
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    So when does this series premier?

Casting is almost finished. The first script is in final form. Shooting will begin by the end of the year and some trailers should be available then. Again, this is primarily a fan production and so it can't go as quickly as some would hope, although we do have some "Hollywood Talent" involved

And while we are relying upon a fair amount of green-screen technology, some full-scale sets are being built. We also have our very own radio-operated, full-size B-9 robot!

Here are some early studies of the spatial qualities of the extended flight deck. Instrumentation will change and be modernized, but the consoles will generally follow this arrangement.

Also shown is a study of the viewport clearances. These will be tweaked somewhat.
    84364.jpg84365.jpg84366.jpg
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    What a wonderful project.

I grew up with Lost in Space, but even as a child, figured that the apparent inner and outer proportions of the Jupiter 2 were a bit wonky, especially with regard to the standing mock-up with landing legs/struts deployed. The addition of the space-pod bay and later episodes featuring a large cargo hold and what seemed to be an engineering deck under the lower deck only made things more ridiculous.

Incidentally, If I was casting a new Dr. Smith, James Dreyfus from the Brit comedy Gimme Gimme Gimme would be my first choice, with Sting a close second (apologies to Gary Oldman).

Marvelous work here mate, and good luck with the web series.
  • yiggyyiggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Avian wrote: »
    Casting is almost finished. The first script is in final form. Shooting will begin by the end of the year and some trailers should be available then. Again, this is primarily a fan production and so it can't go as quickly as some would hope, although we do have some "Hollywood Talent" involved

And while we are relying upon a fair amount of green-screen technology, some full-scale sets are being built. We also have our very own radio-operated, full-size B-9 robot!

Here are some early studies of the spatial qualities of the extended flight deck. Instrumentation will change and be modernized, but the consoles will generally follow this arrangement.

Also shown is a study of the viewport clearances. These will be tweaked somewhat.

The picture seems to indicate that Maureen Robinson been replaced by Margret Thatcher in the new series ? While a bold choice, I think that this may cost you some viewers...

Other than that, this looks fantastic.
    yiggy wrote: »
    The picture seems to indicate that Maureen Robinson been replaced by Margret Thatcher in the new series ? While a bold choice, I think that this may cost you some viewers...

Other than that, this looks fantastic.

:lol: Yes, she's one of my standard scale people. And it's funny you mentioned her, because I do indeed call her Ms. Thatcher!
    Here's a test of the "Robot Glide Rail." In other words, this is how the Robot gets on and off the ship. At the foot of the glide rail there will be an additional retractable lift for him to get to the ground (just haven't gotten that far yet!)...

A the top there is a small airlock. See the plans on the previous pages for reference. :)
    pauldlbflo
    That is just way too freakin' cool! A simple, logical way to solve the problem of the Robot's entry and exit to and from the ship. Well done, sir!
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    How does Robby get on and off the end of the landing leg in order to or from the lift platform? Also, how does the platform make it up the top most portion of rail?

The ship is really cool.
  • Looks like the robots hand migh get chopped off if he mis positions himself. This is easily taken care of. Just have the upper part of the robot rotate 180 degrees, then rotate back, to get off the lift, once deck level is reached.
    This video shows the other part of how the Robot/Cargo gets on and off the ship. It's just a concept diagram. I'm refining the elements to make it more streamlined and elegant!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    ... hmm always thought that robots like Robby and R2 would have a hard time getting to places.. and rolling on uneven ground (sand in R2's case) now the robby in the movie with the tank treads would work better .. he he

looks good!
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    This video shows the other part of how the Robot/Cargo gets on and off the ship. It's just a concept diagram. I'm refining the elements to make it more streamlined and elegant!

Smoooooooooooth!
    That's very nice.
    An elegant solution to a problem i always thought about.
    Cleverly done.
    Thanks folks!

I just wanted to clarify...the Robot's name is not Robby. That's a different movie (Forbidden Planet), although both machines were designed by the same man. :)

The Lost in Space Robot had no name in the show, just "Robot." One of the last episodes in the series hinted that his name was actually "Gunter," which is an acronym for General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Robot. It was stamped on the Alpha Control shipping crate that the Robot came in.

However he's come to be known as simply Robot B-9, because that was another designation that showed up in an earlier episode.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    This is dredging some up some old memories, ( or delusions) but... In a later episode, involving time travel, I seem to remember the robot was shown in a crate labeled B-9. I can't remember if it said "Model B-9 Environmental Control Robot" (which I remember him being called) or not.

I seem also to remember the Robot issuing a challenge, or formally introducing himself as a "B-9 Environmental.. etc."

Really nice upgrade to the Jupiter II, by the way. Almost makes me feel like a kid again, seeing her re-done.
  • ... hmm always thought that robots like Robby and R2 would have a hard time getting to places.. and rolling on uneven ground (sand in R2's case) now the robby in the movie with the tank treads would work better .. he he

looks good!

If you look at the robot, closely, you will see that it has legs. Yes legs. So it has at least three modes of movement. The first is to hold the legs parallel, and us the treads. The second extends one leg out using said treads - this could be used to test the ground a head of the robot, and the third is to use its legs like a human does.

There is a forth possible means of movement, as well. The top portion of the robot from the waste up, might have a micro Unitech drive.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Looking good Avian, and very well thought out.

As for the Robot, he was a magnificent creation of man's ingenuity. Apparently (if memory serves me), B-9 (benign) was also able capable of dematerializing and rematerializng portions of his body. During one episode, in an attempt to dazzle and impress the natives on a planet (as well as save some of the crew), B-9 dematerialized the lower half of his body while his upper body remained floating in mid-air. This would confirm Nick's forth means of movement, the micro Unitech drive. He then rematerialized his lower legs.

Al
    And just for the Helluvit, here's a comparison between the original, 52-foot Jupiter 2 and the new 30-meter ship for the web series:

twojupitertwos.jpg
  • Some interior questions (late in the process I know, I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

1) Why is decontamination seperate from the airlock. If you have to traverse the crew cabin to decontaminate, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

2) instead of recessing the flight deck, why not extend it forwards a bit...it would add several valuable square feet to put controls and such in. In fact, why not expand the upper deck all around? From a realism standpoint the J2 has never worked, so there's no reason you couldn't give yourself all that extra space to actually use on camera, even if it's just supplies lockers .

3)I noticed you don't seem to have the auxilliary access ladder next to the lift. Is that deliberate or an oversight or am I missing it?

Lastly, a theory question. Is it conceptually sound to treat the J2 as the "command module" for a larger ship package as opposed to a self-contained/sustaining vessel? Would there be another ship, either separate entirely or an "add on" that actually was supposed to carry their bulk storage?
    I love that size comparison shot! It shows just how much thought you've put into this project. Something Capt. Donovan mentioned in his post reminded me of a topic I wanted to bring up. I know that the cockpit windows are recessed much further on your "J2 Mark 2" model so that the classic interior fits with the new larger size, but I realized that doing so really cuts down the pilot's peripheral vision. Of course with things like imaging sensors on board it isn't necessary to go looking out the window all the time, but it seems to me that the deeper recess creates some big blind spots on either side of the main window. If, heaven forbid, John Robinson or Don West should have to fly the ship by sight alone, those blind spots may pose something of a problem. I'm not trying to add any more frustration to what must be an extremely challenging build, but I'd be remiss in my duties as a member here if I didn't point this out.
  • yiggyyiggy0 Posts: 0Member
    And just for the Helluvit, here's a comparison between the original, 52-foot Jupiter 2 and the new 30-meter ship for the web series:

twojupitertwos.jpg

Great Stuff!

When did the space program go all metric-y? :)
    Great Stuff!

Well most other countries use the metric system. America is the only one (that I know of) that also uses feet, inches, etc. Doing the conversions for feet, inches, etc into metric units would be a pain in the ass, as it would create inaccuracies. We switched over to metric system because, in the instance countries's space programs worked together to build something, there wouldn't be dis-proportioned parts and it would allow everything would fit together.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Great Stuff!

When the American space program realized that 1000 meters to a kilometer is so much easier than 5280 ft in a mile. Honestly, all space concerns should be counted in metric. Makes for less fumbling during conversions. 3465 meters? 3.456 kilometers. 3456 ft? Uhmmmm . . . let me get my calculator . . . 3456/5280 = 0.6545 miles. Not exactly easy to do.

Oh, wait: you were being facetious! :rolleyes: