Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Practical1/32 scale MK2 Battlestar Galactica 2003 viper

jimmy1701jimmy17010 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all whats up. taking a break from 3d modelling and switching to actuall kit building for abit

Been building this for afew days making it look beat up and what not..... Probably abit too beat up hehe. pilot needs painting.

Ordered a heap of these from various sites so ile have an armada of these on display or for sale.

anyways take a look and tell me what you think :)
81975.jpg
81976.jpg
81977.jpg
81978.jpg
Post edited by jimmy1701 on

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I agree that it looks a little too beat up. The Vipers took a beating for sure, but you may have overdone it just a tad. Otherwise it is a beautiful build. Does the cockpit really slide open, or do you physically have to remove it and place it in the open position?

You say you've ordered "a heap" of them. I just might be interested in purchasing a finished one somewhere down the line. Let me know after you have a few completed.
  • jimmy1701jimmy17010 Posts: 0Member
    The cockpit has the option of either being glued in place or leave it loose. Which is what I did, that way it leaves the option of having it open or closed. I also left the pilot loose that way the cockpit can be occupied or have someone in it. The pilots actually a resin one and the uniform is actually really well detailed, only gripe is that the helmet have no face behind it, it's just a solid face plate. but other than that the kit is as perfect as you can get on the market. ive the diamond select viper which is all polystone and is like 185 euros. the kits only 35 euros or 25 dollars and it kicks the crap out of the so called high end replica.

when I was priming the kit I did a layer coat of thin black then matt white, so when i sanded or scuffed parts of the kit parts of black would appear just like scorch or bullet holes. Ive another on the bench here at home which im going to use as one with landing gear up and in mint condidtion with very minor weathering such as light black shading round the engines and all that. And another is on its way so Ive to come up with something for that aswell. was thinking of lighting the engines on one with light blue leds cuse theres actually gaps in the thursters to allow it so who knows. Hanger bay diroma has also crossed my mind either galactica styled or just an original one of my own design.

Thanks for the comment by the way, I really dunno how Chief Tyrol kept these things flying I mean some of em were flying with portions of the wing tips chaffed off and you really did think at some points "hoiw the hell did they replace these things" Pilots aswell.. i mean if you were a newb pilot on galactica you may aswell be a flipping kamikaze pilot or have a huge red spot on your hull. im amazed sellix lasted the whole shows run when she was drafted with anders for gods sake. hehe
    well heres another viper im working on ive decided to model and finish this one as more or less a "showboat" or clean version. there wont be much if any damage just very minor and light weathering on the engine cowling which is allready there in the form of heat and kinda misty black char or smoke weathering from the spray can.

Ive still to finish modelling this but ive the clear coat on and all and one more clear coat will go on when the decals are applied. as you can see im looking at reference from the mini series episode for the clean version before all the excessive viper abuse cases took place lol

Making matters worse ive two more of these kits to assemble so I dunno what I've planned for those. was thinking a nose cutaway with some various internal electrics or pipe work and have removable panels or something but then again i might model another slightly weathered and one nearly destroyed.
    82218.jpg82219.jpg82220.jpg
    5.jpg 246.3K
    6.jpg 302.6K
    7.jpg 90.9K
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice work... I've got one of these, too, and would like to get one or two more.
    some more work on it today.

Just test fitting and reworking parts of the back wing. just paint needs to be applied in some areas to fill in areas i might have missed with the spray. but asides from that its dry fitted and canopys masked so i can do the frame work on the window.
    82227.jpg82228.jpg82220.jpg
    8.jpg 224K
    9.jpg 288.4K
    7.jpg 152.1K
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work.
    Is the second one finished yet?
    Hi Bar whats up?

at the moment I havent got the second one done I did add the red stripes and that but thats all. Main reason for me not doing more work on it is I'm waiting on decals to arrive to do the "Husker" William Adama Viper which wil be the second one but itll have almost like a showroom apperance with extremley minor damage just slight weathering and handling damage really. The decals im waiting on are just the call sign insignia's and theres afew other's there aswell such as hotdog kat and even anders viper from the last season. I did however purchase two more vipers which are still in box and ive afew ideas rattling around. I think theres even a blank call sign decal that you can put your own pilots name on it but with the size of the lettering ile probly go blind trying to focus sliding those decals onto the ship hehe.

ile post a pic later of it with the stripes on it its not much progress but thats the most difficult part is painting on the stripes trying to get em looking even on both sides.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18930&d=1281877712
    Another Pic

attachment.php?attachmentid=18931&d=1281879225
    I am not seeing the pics, but i have registered for that forum.
    Thanks for showing me a forum i never knew existed!
    I am going to be bringing a MKVIIE to market in the near future. I LOOOOOVE BSG!!!!
    :-)
    No problems man, hope you liked the pics.

Im trying to flog afew of these of myself and hopefully get something modelling wise like if someone had a model they needed painted / assembled or even both. id do it for em if they didnt feel up to it for a fee.

Even if people had a custom order or paint job like something different paint wise for a mk2 viper i could shoot info back and forth and accomodate them and come up with afew ideas for a price depending on labour and posting.

Ive 2 blank unassembled mk2 kits here and one idea was a ww2 paint scheme like a spitfire paint job on it. with the open shark mouth on the front of it with the teeth and eyes and all that. cept instead of the round emblems on the wings being round theyd have the corners like all the a4 paper on the galactica show.

(i know my heads going too far too soon with my over active imagination lol)
    I know exactly what you're saying. Like the Vipers seen here on the forum:

vipermk2-19.jpg

vipermk2-18.jpg

viper-racers.jpg

vipermk7a-09.jpg

vipermk7a-07.jpg
    Hey whats up,

just another quick post, This is the Adama Viper I finally have 95% finished just have to place afew more decals such as squad logo and the thursters and final clear coat on the kit and thats that... then I've two more vipers to build.
    84105.jpg84109.jpg84110.jpg