Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DL.A.P.D. Spinner

123457»

• cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    I did get a scan of the production blueprints a couple of years back. I don't know if I ever got around to pasting them together in Photoshop. My CAD drawing was based off of the small images of these plans that I was able to glean from various print sources.
  • TreyborTreybor0 Posts: 0Member
    cobywan wrote: »
    I did get a scan of the production blueprints a couple of years back. I don't know if I ever got around to pasting them together in Photoshop. My CAD drawing was based off of the small images of these plans that I was able to glean from various print sources.

oooo! Cool. Would you be willing to share? I have scans from my copy of Spinner Dokuhon if yoare interested.
  • BasajaunBasajaun183 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry for the delay in posting more updates.

I'm done with the interior. The Spinner is fully textured now and for the most part, this project is finished. I'm currently finishing the rig -as I learn some scripting- and next I will start playing with the lighting.

spinner_wip_245.jpg

spinner_wip_246.jpg

spinner_wip_247.jpg

spinner_wip_248.jpg

spinner_wip_249.jpg

spinner_wip_250.jpg

A few more WIP pics left and I'll be ready to make something more interesting with it, perhaps an animation or a still image, not sure yet.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Oh crap :o That is unbeliveable ! I liked the model from the beginning but I didn't expect it to turn out so photorealistic. Awesome job Basajuan, can't wait to see more renders of this one - perhaps something for the header ?:rolleyes:
  • TreyborTreybor0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a thing of beauty. I love the rain spattered glass surface. Great work.
  • Breech BlockBreech Block0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! That's pretty awesome. Great modeling skills, you've really nailed it. Took a look at the web page as well and really liked the BR ernvironments. Shame it got abandoned after all that effort. Thanks for sharing the piccies.
  • korborakkorborak0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, Most impressive!! Love your work and the movie.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    excellent
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    The coolest model I've seen in ages. CG or otherwise for that matter.
    Time to get back to this project!

The Spinner needs a pilot, so I've modeled a low-poly character to put inside. I managed to get a couple of good reference pics that show in great detail the uniforms of the policemen from BR so it's quite close to the film. The model is very simple and I know there are some anatomical issues -specially in the arms and hands- but with proper textures, I believe it'll look good enough.

This is the finished model, next I will start texturing it:

Cop_wip_015.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    I just looked again at those renderings - what a fantastic model and textures. And the pilot looks great, too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    great job on the details sir! is that a pure high poly mesh or lowpoly hul+normal map?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    shoulders could be larger and the elbow should be lower in the arm. (forearm is shorter than upper arm.) the arms are a bit long too.
    arms in rest position, the fingertips are about one hand above the knee. yours look too low.

the hands dont look so bad ;)
    i'd give him big gloves. like police bikers:
    3934826015_f38e7d103d.jpg
    L2K wrote: »
    shoulders could be larger and the elbow should be lower in the arm. (forearm is shorter than upper arm.) the arms are a bit long too.
    arms in rest position, the fingertips are about one hand above the knee. yours look too low.

the hands dont look so bad ;)

Thank you for your help. I've made a few tweaks and a couple of ortho renders to avoid any distortion produced by the perspective, tell me what you think:

Cop_wip_016.jpg

I thought a wireframe might be of some interest as well:

Cop_wip_017.jpg
    i'd give him big gloves. like police bikers:

Actually, the guy has gloves, just not like those. This is what I'm using for refernece:

BR Cop 1 | BR Cop 2
    better ;)
    still 2 or 3 things. allow me to do a quick paintover
    paintover.jpg

also, you'll need 2 or 3 more sections in the forearm (or else, it will go wrong when you'll rig the forearm twist)

looks good. looks like a regular cop. no heroic ultra bodybuilded guy.
    Hi!
    mastahachi wrote: »
    great job on the details sir! is that a pure high poly mesh or lowpoly hul+normal map?

Thank you! If you are talking about the Spinner, there's no normal-mapping involved. There's a bump map subtly applied, however, to enhance some details.
    better ;)
    still 2 or 3 things. allow me to do a quick paintover

also, you'll need 2 or 3 more sections in the forearm (or else, it will go wrong when you'll rig the forearm twist)

looks good. looks like a regular cop. no heroic ultra bodybuilded guy.

I made a few changes based on your notes. I appreciate the time you took in doing that paintover, it's very helpful.

Anyway, since the character is made up of just a few polygons it requires detailed textures to meke it look interesting. To add that extra detail I started working on the bump map -which is almost finished- and I'm now working on the diffuse map. The specular/reflection map will probably be the last one, since it's the least important one in this particular model. This is what I have so far:

Cop_wip_041.jpg
    A friend of mine and I are going to build one in 1/6 Scale.

If anyone has an interest in or input.

Let me know!
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow!
    ' hope you don't get tired of hearing this Sendoa, but this is great work!
    I've been away from this forum far too long.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, what render "set-up" are you using?... are those mental-ray shaders and rendering by any chance?
    also, how many polys is this little beastie up to by now?

You've put a lot of hours in on this...it shows! Very nice!:cool:
    :cool:
    Brundelfly wrote: »
    A friend of mine and I are going to build one in 1/6 Scale.

If anyone has an interest in or input.

Let me know!

I think covywan was planning to build a physical model of the Spinner too, can't wait to see both models take shape. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!
    Wow!
    ' hope you don't get tired of hearing this Sendoa, but this is great work!

Tired? Not at all! Thank you very much Greeble_Gremlin.
    I've been away from this forum far too long.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, what render "set-up" are you using?... are those mental-ray shaders and rendering by any chance?
    also, how many polys is this little beastie up to by now?

The render setup is very simple actually: I'm using mental ray with Final Gather enabled at it's lowest quality preset (to speed-up render time), there's a skylight which uses an HDR image (the same image I put on the Enviroment slot of my materials) and a couple of photometric lights. That's for the last set of renders, in the previous ones I used max's standard lights. I'm using raytrace materials + phong shader for the most part except for the matte surfaces where I'm using max's standard material + oren-nayar shader. The polycount is 703,810 polys/1,473,157 tris.

Update on the current status of the pilot: Modeling is finished, texturing is finished, rigging is finished... but skinning/posing it is being a total nightmare. I hand-weighted all the vertices one-by-one but I can't get proper results. I'm not sure if the problem is the mesh itself or that I need to keep adjusting the weights even more. I'm affraid I'm not going to be able to complete this part of the project in a satisfactory way, so my other choice is to find an alternative method :(

Any ideas?
    Would you be able to give me a breakdown of how you made the blue shader for your spinner? Im trying to study how you did it but struggling! Looks phenomenal!
    Hi gigsywigsy!

For the blue shader I'm using a Raytrace material with the reflections set to fresnel and the IOR at a value of 1.7 if I remember correctly. There's a Falloff map in the diffuse slot set to Perpendicular/Parellel. In the second color swatch I'm using pure black, and in the firt one blue (or whatever color you want the surface to be). The look of this type of surfaces depends a lot on the enviroment they are reflecting so putting an HDR map in the enviroment slot will greatly enhance it. Also you can combine the reflections with specular highlights or just use pure reflections, that's up to you.

You could achieve similar or even better results using MR's Car Paint or Autodesk Metallic Paint shaders which do essentialy the same but with a lot more features like flakes.

I hope this was of any help.
    in max skin modifier, theres a paint weight. you select the bone you want, tweak the setings (by default weight is set on 1. which is way too much. .2 or .3 is the way to go), kick off the blend wieght option, and start painting. paint a half, and let the symetry (past blue to green verts) do the other one. it works pretty good.

also, while skinning your character, be sure to always have him animated over a few frames, in a sort of extreme aerobic/gymnastic. this way, you can see immediately what and when is wrong, and fix it easily.
    I'm pretty much done with this poroject but I just wanted to show you how this whole thing turned out. I finished the pilot, and even rigged it. Unfortunately I was unaable to properly skin it and therfore I couldn't pose it to fit in the Spinner. This is the fully modeled and textured mesh:

la_cop.jpg

I also spent some time modeling and texturing a cityscape meant to be rendered as a full 360Ao enviroment map. The final image was a 32-bit float 6260x3130 EXR file that I could use to get nice reflections and a consistent lighting (using IBL techniques). Here's a clamped version of the full size map:

cityscape_wip_031.jpg
    (Cilck on the imge to see it in full size)

And here's the EXR image in action: Not the most impressive render in the world but makes the Spinner look very similar to how it looked in the film.

lapd_spinner_final.jpg

And this is it: modeling, texturing and rigging all done. It's ready now for doing some still images or animations.

- PROJECT FINISHED -
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    this is one of the best WIP threads I can remember here, great work
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! Very cool! This thread started in July of 2006.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow congratulations on the finished project ! I agree with IRML that it's one of the best stuff that was around here. The last render is just unbeliveably cool :thumb:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice.
  • number_sixnumber_six0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! :o

Of all the SF vehicles out there
    this one and the Tumbler tie for
    first place. Look forward to more
    renders!