Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSide Projects (Random).

• HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    @ Dr .Sleep: Appreciate it. :thumb:

I'm working on a portable mining colony. So far I have 90% of the modular structures (as there will be more than one.) that primarily make up the colony completed. The structures are stackable, and can be arranged to make just about any type of building needed in a mining colony. :thumb:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1368&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1371&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1374&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1377&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1380&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1383&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1386&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1389&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1392&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1395&g2_serialNumber=2
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Ah, you sly devil you! You caught my attention with that animated gif in the thumbnail!

Is all of the detail (bolts/rivets, etc.) modeled in, or is that done with a texture?
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    they look like the little portable cabins from mass effect1 with the slats and little windows
    Thanx Fellas. The details, (bolts/rivets, etc.) are in the textures Aardwolf, though with a lot of the stuff I do, the details are modeled in. Do you have any reference pics liam887? I can't seem to find any online. I've been meaning to try that game series. :thumb: Thanx again.

One of many possible configurations.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1398&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1401&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1404&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1407&g2_serialNumber=2
    So as not to over-run Freak's thread. :lol:. I thought I'd finish this thing up here. The basement is near completion, so I guess I'll start on the main building sometime this week. No rush... yet.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1458&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1461&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1464&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1467&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1470&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1473&g2_serialNumber=2
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I've been flicking through the thread, very cool modelling throughout. You seem to be doing some quite original work, too.
    Thanx Armondikov, appreciate it. And yes, I try to stick with original concept and designs. Not that I have anything against the established franchises, mind you. I love ST, SW, BSG, B5 and so on. It's just that I have always had a somewhat greater affinity for the original work of fiction, (Sci-fiction that is). I used to love to see those movies and shows which were an amalgamation of sci-fi and or horror shorts. Suspense is cool too. Thanx again. :thumb:

I started on the bank building a little early. Maybe I'll actually finish it this week sometime.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1476&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1479&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1482&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1485&g2_serialNumber=2
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The new stuff is really intriguing :thumb: I like the bank building very much - it's rather simple but you used the geometry really well.
    Okay, now that building is cool. Inspired from anywhere in particular?
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    The bank building looks great, I really like the geometry of it very cool:thumb:
    @ somacruz145: Thanx. Most of the buildings that will make up this colony/city/set will be of a pretty basic, but creative design. Easy to build, and aesthetically appealing in a boxy-clunky-way as well. :thumb: Thanx again.

@ Armondikov: Thank you. And the inspiration for this design came just interlocking a bunch of triangles one day triangles

@ Ice-Dragon: That's what CG is all about, :thumb:. Simple geometry. Thanx.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1488&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1491&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1494&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1497&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1500&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1503&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1506&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1509&g2_serialNumber=2
    Started on the interior of the bank (building) a couple days ago. Not really pleased with most of what I so far, so with the exception of the lobby I'm going to tear it all out and start fresh. In the mean time, here a few shots of a nearer completed exterior.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1512&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1515&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1518&g2_serialNumber=2
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    good stuff, you've really improved a lot in the past year....so yeah, don't stop, heh.

The building is missing some of those low level lights that shine up at it from the outside (did that make any sense at all?)
    I agree, some proper uplighting would be quite spectacular on this one.
    Thanx Fellas. And I intend to, that's one of the main reasons that blank rectangular platform is there. It's for an abstract sculpture I made, I was going to up light it and the building at the same time. Have to remake the sculpture though, problems with the first one. More to come. :thumb:
    I know, I know. But you can relax, I'm still working on the city. Just took a break to keep from getting board with it too soon... But in the mean time, which looks better, the blue flame, or the orange flame?

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1521&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1524&g2_serialNumber=2
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    blue flame
    Blue is always cooler on sci-fi engines, it's more of an exotic colour for "advanced" engines and in the real world, would represent a hotter, and in principle, more powerful thrust.
    So I should save the red/orange flame for the less advanced, clunkier looking ships in other words?
    Maybe. It depends what you want to do. In principle, if you were animating it, your flame could cycle through colours, with a lower intensity orange flame for "low power" just as it switches on, and then morphs into the more powerful blue flame later.
    I've decided to rework the military complex I made early last year to use as my police/military/planetary security complex in my city/colony. I wasn't too pleased with it after I looked at it again earlier this year. This time I added an moderate interior, which I had planned to before. (No pics of the interior yet though...) And, I've also started work on the armor, (one of four armor types), that the Planetary Security Force, and military will use.
    84684.jpg84685.jpg84686.jpg84687.jpg84688.jpg
    A few more... Plus, this massive structure will be located roughly 200 miles away from one of the larger city/colony/settlements. It's a derelict communications/supply depot. It's roughly 100 years old, and has been abandoned for over 70 years. On and off. I still have a lot of work to do on most of the textures. I just decided to import and arrange everything I had into Vue while I was at it. And I added a few static poser characters to give an idea of the scale of everything. That's about it for now. Thoughts and suggestion appreciated. Thanx all.
    84689.jpg84694.jpg84695.jpg84692.jpg84693.jpg
    The wear/grime on those smaller structures (turret and fuel tank?) looks excessive :confused:

Unless they're supposed to have been abandoned for decades... and then I'd imagine the wear should be more regular.
    If you notice, there's semi-dried sludge/algae on the base of the turrets, and on the ground. Not only were they abandoned for a long time, the entire area was under water for many years. At least I tried to approximate algae as close as I could... Thanx.

Oh, and the area was intentionally flooded to deter thieves.
    Ah, so there is.

Well, I gotta admit I probably couldn't do that good a job :p
    Last one for tonight folks... Need sleeeeep.
    84700.jpg84701.jpg
    Not much, just a little more...
    84720.jpg84721.jpg84722.jpg
    I'm gonna have to redo the boots/shoes and add armor to them, but the legs came out well IMO. I'll do the arms tomorrow, I'm working on the assault rifle atm. Tell me what you think? :thumb:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1605&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1608&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1611&g2_serialNumber=2
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm . . . he's starting to resemble a Stormtrooper.

Really nice work on the turrets and such! And the suit isn't too shabby either.