Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
edited August 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Hi everyone,

I'm now involved with a new web series that will revive the old Lost in Space franchise. This means that we needed to create a "new" Jupiter 2 that makes some sort of sense. Those of you familiar with the original know quite well that the ship as designed could never house the two decks shown in the TV show.

The original ship was only 52 feet in diameter (depending on who you talk to). This worked with the early concept shown in the pilot episode in which the ship had only one deck. But since the broadcasted show firmly established the two-story version but never bothered to re-work the exterior of the ship to reconcile the change, I had to go back and re-visit everything about the craft in an attempt to "make it work."

Rather than play the game the movie did and completely toss out the original design, we decided that the ship is so iconic that we wanted to preserve the proportions of Robert Kino****a's original design. (edit: Robert KinoSHEETA - LOL to the language filter!)

After a lot of experimentation, I settled on a new diameter of 98'-4". While this may seem arbitrary, it actually results from careful studies of the landing gear and lower deck, which I'll go into more detail in succeeding posts. A smaller diameter can work, but it means drastically altering the lower level to accommodate the landing gear structures.

Edited to change the thumbnail...
84059.jpg
Post edited by Avian on
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    why not make it 2.5 decks hight hat way u can accomidate the 2 main floors as a whole and leave the landing gear on the "basment floor" u could also add storage compartment access points on the main floors floor and have storage compartments sarrounding the empty gaps between the landing gear
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Now this is more like it! Even though I loved the design of the Jupiter 2 in the movie remake, the original is still a favorite. It's hard to mess up what is essentially nothing more than a flying saucer. The "supersizing" works for me as well. LIS had moments of ambition, but it is such a letdown when even as a kid it was so easy to tell that the inside of the J2 could never fit within the confines of the exterior. Then there was that episode when they finally managed to return to Earth, but in the year 1949 (or somewhere around there). A mock-up of the J2 exterior was featured in that episode, but it was so freakin' tiny! It looked like it was only about 1/3 the size of the "actual" ship. I still remember seeing it and thinking "That can't be right. The ship has to be bigger than that!"

So I'm liking the idea of keeping the ship the same, just giving it proper dimensions. My only nitpick would be that I'd have made it a full 100' in diameter since your version is so close to that number anyway. I just have this thing about whole numbers. I see the 98' 4" and think "what would it hurt to add that extra one-foot and eight inches? A little extra hull reinforcement would explain that real easy!"

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this project develop. A new LIS web series based on the original show sounds like a very cool idea.
    DarkFlite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    How complete are you taking the design?
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    why not make it 2.5 decks hight hat way u can accomidate the 2 main floors as a whole and leave the landing gear on the "basment floor" u could also add storage compartment access points on the main floors floor and have storage compartments sarrounding the empty gaps between the landing gear

Good idea, though that would require an even larger ship. Our goal was to "make it work" without ending up with something the size of a 747. So there was a conscious effort to keep it as small as possible. The interiors will be quite faithful to the original, though with the larger ship it gives us more room on the upper deck for additional compartments.

@Buckaroohawk - Just think of it as 30 meters. :)

@Nick - Well the interiors are being completely worked out. (e.g. it's 174 inches from the lower deck level to the ground. So we know exactly how many steps to put on landing leg #1.) Since no one knows how much space a "real" interstellar engine would take up we're reserving a reasonable amount of space for the drive systems and equipment such as cryogenics, computers, life support, etc.

One new change is that the space pod now exits vertically. That way it can still be used if the ship is landed.
    Well here is something to think about.

The drive ofthe J-2 is supposed to be a field drive. This means that it effects leave the J-2 at near light-speed or exactly light-speed. This is important, as it affects how much fuel is needed to be carried.

In the real world, there has been work done on using microwaves. Mircowaves are a field drive. And do travel at light speed. There have been several articles on the topic.

The 'physical' portion needed not be very large. That isn't the problem, the problem is the power generator.

In other words, that portion of the Unitech drive system, may be the tip of the ice berg. Which is a good starting point. So from what is visible from the out side, assume that is 1/8 of the total.

People expect that field accelerate the entire ship at once, much as gravity does. But, "if" you were to use for example microwaves, this wouldn't be true. In some ways it would behave as a rocket engine. Now start thinking in terms of the mass of the J-2. This too determines the size of the powerplant/engine - for the sake of argument, I will assume that they are the samething.

What I am saying is two things here. You can go the very realistic route, or anywhere in between.

Now about fuel supply. Just how fast is required? This determines the fuel supply. I would say forty-five percent of the fuel to get up to speed, and of of course down. Which leaves a ten percent margine. Remembering that there was no thought to aerobraking back then. Aerbraking would aloow a little extra in terms of safety.

So how about this? Get up to fifty percent light-speed....

So I am half asleep at the moment.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Looking good, keep it up!
    A mock-up of the J2 exterior was featured in that episode, but it was so freakin' tiny! It looked like it was only about 1/3 the size of the "actual" ship. I still remember seeing it and thinking "That can't be right. The ship has to be bigger than that!"

This is completely typical and to be expected of physically built sets i think, i'd never base the size of the ship on how its displayed as a set piece without some careful checking.

In BSG (TOS) the vipers were built too short to save money and space, another good example is the tiny Millenium Falcon from the star wars films, it looks ok until someone points out you wouldn't be able to even stand in the corridors. Of course since the 3d era, babylon 5 and onwards you can make them any size you want, which you might think would solve it, but occasionally leads to more monkeying around with scaling.
    DarkFlite
    Back again... :)

Been busy re-doing the J2 for the web series and I couldn't post updates until the official reveal, which was yesterday. Here are the schematic plans for the upper and lower decks. Operative word is schematic. Things will change as the series approaches the start of filming!
    84004.jpg84005.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Cool, haven't seen the original, but I like that.
    Now you are talking. But one question why is the space pod's door facing away from the center of the ship? It should be easily accessable to the robot.

Or is a robot in its own right?

But very very good, and well done.
    The Pod is shown here in its launch position. When stowed, it is actually rotated 180 degrees and moved outboard a foot or so. So yes, the Pod entry door is inboard. The rotation allows for efficient use of the space in the Pod Bay, and also allows for a smaller roof hatch.

It's hard to explain without pics, so I'll probably upload schematics of what I am talking about in a day or two... :)
    I can picture that.

It is a brillant piece of thought.

Just like on the Discovery...
  • quetzalquetzal0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW, this is a nice rendering of the J2. Can't wait to see more.

Very Nice.
    The exterior. The recessed viewport is a result of several deciding factors. A real, practical set will be built for the flight deck for the new show. If the old viewport were simply scaled up it would be more than 30 feet across and the flight deck would be gigantic. Plus, there are other problems a giant viewport raises in terms of spatial relationships.

To keep the intimate scale and to reduce set construction costs, we decided to carve out the hull and recess an intermediate-sized viewport.

The lighting strips also serve double-duty as the upper and lower generators for a plasma window which helps protect the viewport at extremely high speeds against vacuum pressure in interstellar space.

There are also a double set of crash doors that completely close off the recess.
    84058.jpg
    pauldlbflo
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    This is pretty freakin neat.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Good job. A good idea on that Plasma Window.

Was that for me? so I wouldn't raise any questions?;) If so, your 'consideration' is greatly appreciated. Leaving me laughing at myself, for taking myself too seriously.:lol:
    LOL, no, Nick. It's great that anyone is interested, since the new web series will come under a lot of scrutiny anyway. We can't think of everything, though we're trying as hard as we can.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    The coolness factor of your innovations to the J2 are off the scale! You've managed to retain the shape and look of the original models and sets and address the concerns of scale and technology that have plagued LIS for so long. Kudos to you for your excellent imagination and work. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the web series!
    About that Plasma window. I keep thinking that the way to expand the size of a Plasma Window, is a Phased Array approach.

Look up the APG-77. You know the radar on the F-22a Raptor.
    Shots of the Robot & Cargo escalator. This is located on landing leg #2 (the rear leg), and connects to the airlock as seen on the lower deck plan. This was an early view before the airlock was modified, so this and the plan don't match up exactly, but you get the idea.
    84111.jpg84112.jpg
    pauldlbflo
  • Quite interesting, so the lift slides down the ramp, then the robot moves forward, a little, and then turns left to take another lift down.

The only thing I can see is that secondary lift slides out after landing, with a secondary ramp...

A good idea.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    As always, I am totally blown away by your work. I do love how you have retained the original flavor of the Jupiter 2 while still getting everything to fit inside. The textures on the hull are subtle and also help set the scale of the ship. For the average joe, it is something that isn't really noticed, but if they weren't there or poorly done, it would be very noticeable. And that marks a great artist in his craft.

If I had one crit, it would be that after looking at the close-up of the landing gear, if you were to add small bevels to the edges it would help give the light an edge to play off of. Not sure if that is critical for the project though, and it would add a bit to rendering times.

I am really looking forward to seeing this puppy fly! And crash. And fly again. And... well you get the idea :D

And please, please say you won't have giant talking carrots?

Al
    Thanks Al,
    Yeah, I plan on adding a lot of little details. The general approach will be to build the various pieces of the ship to a high level of detail as we determine the storyboards of the episodes. So the beveling tools will be my friend. :) There may never be "one" all-inclusive J2 3d model. We'll probably have several dozen that are detailed at differing resolutions for different purposes.

No talking carrots. But I wouldn't rule out flamboyant Brussels Sprouts...
  • This is exceptional work, but you have a problem. The J2 interior was THREE decks, not two. The third deck was access to the main engine (the spinny thing on the bottom), and was shown in at least one episode. The room was done "dark stage", so they didn't have to do anything but put some computer consoles in it and a ring structure. IIRC, they destroyed "critter of the week" by knocking it into said ring (presumedly the engine outlet or some such).

ETA: The ep in question is likely "The Raft", according to what I've been able to look up.
    I think the episode was The Space Creature. But not having a 3rd level is not a problem. This particular Jupiter 2 is being made for the upcoming web series, and the decision was made early on that the 3rd level (which only made an appearance in that one episode) made the original Jupiter 2 even more absurd than it already was with two levels. Hence, we didn't feel a need to allow for it in the new ship.

There is roughly 4 feet between the lower deck and the top of the fusion core, so there is space for crawl ways below deck. The cramped conditions here can actually allow for a bit more drama in the storylines if warranted.

The new show will be a re-boot. The story begins about 50 years prior to the launch of the Jupiter 2 and will provide some backstory to what Aeolus 14 Umbra meant (the call sign used by Dr. Smith). The first episode will be a re-make of The Reluctant Stowaway, but the story veers off from there.
  • You know what we need from you?

Multiple cut aways - bow/stern, port/starboard, and so on. Partial cross sections through the pod bay...

Lets, see. That adds up to about ten thousand hours of work...:D

No, seriously, it will place limits upon what can be done, that you shouldn't have the problem of inconsistancies, that ohters have had.
    Oh I know that! :) I already have several section views but they are not really presentable at this time - basically just orthos from different cameras to check out clearances and that sort of thing. I do plan on creating several detailed cutaways.
  • Several?

Pity that you can't have a rolling cut away... So that anyone can look through form any angle...

It is even a greater pity, that one couldn't lets say zoom in on the computer bay, and look. As if you were a technician...

Individual integrated circuit details not required.;)
  • Avian wrote: »
    I think the episode was The Space Creature. But not having a 3rd level is not a problem. This particular Jupiter 2 is being made for the upcoming web series, and the decision was made early on that the 3rd level (which only made an appearance in that one episode) made the original Jupiter 2 even more absurd than it already was with two levels. Hence, we didn't feel a need to allow for it in the new ship.

There is roughly 4 feet between the lower deck and the top of the fusion core, so there is space for crawl ways below deck. The cramped conditions here can actually allow for a bit more drama in the storylines if warranted.

You are correct, I beleive. "The Raft" was the first appearance of the Engine Room, but "The Space Creature" is the one where they knocked a critter into the engine.

If you have chosen to "re-engineer" the ship, by all means go for it. I was under the assumption that you were trying to stay as "canon true" as possible, so I brought it up.

This is still top-shelf work! Keep it up!
    The new show will be a re-boot. The story begins about 50 years prior to the launch of the Jupiter 2 and will provide some backstory to what Aeolus 14 Umbra meant (the call sign used by Dr. Smith). The first episode will be a re-make of The Reluctant Stowaway, but the story veers off from there.

Cool. Are you going with a terrestrial origin (a la the movie) or alien (the series)?
    Cool. Are you going with a terrestrial origin (a la the movie) or alien (the series)?

Thanks! The first episode will go into more detail, but the Jupiter 2 is an entirely human-engineered version of the Jupiter 1, which was not.
  • Ooops...I meant for Aeolus-14-Umbra. It was strongly implied in the series that they were ETs, whereas in the movie it was a human faction.