Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOcealot Combat Mech- Major Work in Progress, from a complete newbie.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
[EMAIL="http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/PicPile/MechFoot.jpg"]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/PicPile/MechFoot.jpg[/EMAIL]Hello, this is my first post here at SFM, at this place looks completely awesome. I'm a modeler-wannabe with absolutely no prior skills (unless you call DoGA skill, but that pretty much does the work for you.), but is trying to learn. I love Mechwarrior and other things like that, with big stompy walking tanks, loaded with powerful weapons. So, fitting that my first project is a mech: The Ocealot. It's going to take a while, given that, as I said, I have no knowledge of how to do this once so ever. So far, all I have is a rough, textureless foot created. It lacks any form of real detail or texturing, so expect a bit of an eyesore, but here it is:
EDIT: Turned this [img]picture into a thumbnail. Some planned work for tomorrow: ('1) Fix the two front toes so they aren't laying flat across the ground and partially separate from the ball joint, and so that they fit the middle joint properly. ('2) Get some detailing in, such as a toe cap of some sort for the front toes so they don't just cut off as rectangles, and a rim around that big center cylinder joint. ('3) If I can figure out how, perhaps get a texture or two on. Expect more tomorrow, -GroxGlitch[/img]
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    welcome to sfm, always good to see new modellers here, especially ones making mechs :D anyways is this a mech warrior mech or original? I don't recall that name. I wouldn't spend too much time right away trying to detail and texture it, try roughing out the entire mech first. What software package are you using?
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    There is an Ocelot that is a canon 'mech design for BattleTech. It's in Tech Readout: 3075 on pages 136 - 137. Since the foot doesn't look like the one in the illustration, I'm guessing this'll be an original design.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    There is an Ocelot that is a canon 'mech design for BattleTech. It's in Tech Readout: 3075 on pages 136 - 137. Since the foot doesn't look like the one in the illustration, I'm guessing this'll be an original design.

Confoundit! I love that series, but is there a single name for a mech that series hasn't used?

It's an original design, but I was inspired by some BattleTech mechs. I have the whole thing done, except for a few problems.
    1)Still no textures
    2)Lacking details on
    3)No cockpit.
    I have mah current work attacked in some thumbnails.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sorry to double post, but I got a cockpit in and a little detail in; the sliding cover for a recon probe launcher, which launches a little helicopter-looking drone up in a missile, which breaks open, and the probe uses it's camera to look around for baddies and other tactical information, which I will model when I'm done with the Ocealot. But, more so, the two pictures I have are not of the in-Blender model, but rather of a render of the model, so it doesn't look like total crap! Enjoy!
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    BattleTech has been around for some 25 years with hundreds of people coming up with designs and figuring out names and stuff like that. So I wouldn't worry about it. I find that naming a mech (for me) depends on what kind of battlefield role it is supposed to play. Who built it and all of that fun stuff.

What you have is a good start. Right now it looks like a very rough sketch that's just waiting for refinement. The dog legs are a good approach, but I suggest that you may want to beef them up some. Right now it looks pretty top heavy.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice start in blender. Little advice: That right mech leg is doublefaced (as I call it), for better render, enter edit mode, select all verticles, press "w" and click remove doubles... on cockpit select that part and click "set smooth" in Mesh window